LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 5:12 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Tire Mileage

Just put new skins on the LT.
Old ones were Metzelers.

Front had 15,000.
Rear had 10,400.
That was runnung 42 and 50 PSI. Rear was down to the cords. Didn't see that until I pulled it. Only about an inch of cord showing.

Went with front ME880 and rear Battleax for this go-around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Re: Tire Mileage

Hey I just got my LT in September. The tires looked new to me but I put 5k on the bike and the center is just about worn out. I am awaiting a BT020 tire also looking for good mileage. I just think the tire wore faster than it should have. Looking forward to changing it over to another tire. Will know exactly how long it will go. Front is still in great shape. I will probably have 20-30 k on the bike before winter comes. Just turned 30K.
post #3 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Unless I am mistaken, you can probably use my mileage as an upper end guideline of what to expect if you are a very conservative rider. Mine were getting so bad that I thought something may have been wrong with the suspension system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Changed my ME880's to BT's last week, front had 17393 and the non-reinf rear had 11978. Had non-reinf on rear as a result of a blowout in Idaho and that was all that was available locally.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #5 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 6:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just changed my rear with 18K. The wear bars just went flat. Metz ME 880. Jim
post #6 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Hi,
I am about to change my tyres from BT020 (I liked them)to Avon Storm 2 Ultra (give them a go).

Why am I changing, they are getting down to the wear bars.

How many Klms/Miles, dunno, don't care, just remember having fun.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #7 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 7:58 pm

I have always used the Bridgestone Battlax 020's and get around 6 to 7K riding 2 up. Fronts go faster and don't seem to come with much tread on them. I changed air pressure to 42/48 and get a little better mileage mostly on rear. They have good stick-sion and are less expensive so until I hear of a sticky tire with better mileage I think I'll stay with Bridgestone's.
post #8 of 25 Old May 19th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I have always used the Bridgestone Battlax 020's and get around 6 to 7K riding 2 up. Fronts go faster and don't seem to come with much tread on them. I changed air pressure to 42/48 and get a little better mileage mostly on rear. They have good stick-sion and are less expensive so until I hear of a sticky tire with better mileage I think I'll stay with Bridgestone's.
I get probably 7-8k out of a front and 9-10k out of a rear... solo riding...

I would suggest the storm2 ultra if you haven't already.... I really like the handling ... they stick pretty good...

funny you mention burning out fronts before the rear..... I have the same problem.... I tend to ride the LT like I stole it.... so I figured that might have something to do with it...

actually right now I have an avon distanzia on the front.... it was the only thing I had in the garage...
and I'll be damned, but it handles real nice.... but it's a little loud.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #9 of 25 Old May 20th, 2014, 7:57 am

Those storms are only for pre 2005. correct?

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #10 of 25 Old May 20th, 2014, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTelco View Post
Those storms are only for pre 2005. correct?
No Idea, Mine is an 02

I'm not sure what all the sillyness is about anyway... from what I can see, all the LT's are pretty much the same. any 160/70/17 (79v) will work..

anyone want to explain the difference?

post #11 of 25 Old May 20th, 2014, 9:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
No Idea, Mine is an 02

I'm not sure what all the sillyness is about anyway... from what I can see, all the LT's are pretty much the same. any 160/70/17 (79v) will work..

anyone want to explain the difference?
Read this: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/200410-GLvsLT.pdf

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 25 Old May 20th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
OK,

So what does this have to do with different year LT's requiring diffent tires?

post #13 of 25 Old May 20th, 2014, 10:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
OK,

So what does this have to do with different year LT's requiring diffent tires?
Did you read the article? It tells of the suspension geometry changes that accompanied the switch from radials to bias ply tires.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 25 Old May 20th, 2014, 11:47 pm

I ended up with a 880 radial front tire(by mistake) but still have a bias 880 rear,but so far it's great!
post #15 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 1:50 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Unless I am mistaken, you can probably use my mileage as an upper end guideline of what to expect if you are a very conservative rider. Mine were getting so bad that I thought something may have been wrong with the suspension system.
Need a bit more info
Like 1-up or 2
Fully loaded or not. I think the road surfaces out west are harder on tires than when I am touring east. My stock tires gave 13000+ before I opted to change out both after 2 seasons of riding. I did not need to but I wanted fresh rubber to begin my 3rd season. Plus winter garage storage was on my mind.
Last summer while in MT I had to replace rear with white thread showing on one spot on the tire and just 11000. So how to judge the upper limits.
My saddle weight is 180 plus camp equipment for one. Nothing goes on the top case though cases are filled normal and backpack on pass seat. Nothing extra added to bike. Metz all the time.
ride safe
post #16 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 6:49 am

Quote:
Did you read the article? It tells of the suspension geometry changes that accompanied the switch from radials to bias ply tires.

No,
I skimmed through it. I was zoning out.

As far as a change in "geometry" from bias to radials.... there is none.

Also the article still doesn't tell you why some tires are labeled pre- 2005 only...

It's all nonsense IMO.

until someone proves otherwise.

post #17 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 12:43 pm

I recently replaced my rear Bridgestone BT020 with another BT020. I ride mostly 2 up and at a pressure of 48 psi on the rear. The BT020 I replaced had 14,674 miles on it. It still had some miles on it too. I replaced it because of an upcoming trip. My tire shop said it was a good idea for a trip but for local riding it probably would've gone "another 1,000 or so".

Now on the other hand I will not use the BT020 front tire as I got only got 7,586 miles on the one I had put on a few years ago before it was shot. However I'm running a ME880 on the front and the ME880 front before that had 17,146 before the wear bars started showing.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #18 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 2:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No,

Also the article still doesn't tell you why some tires are labeled pre- 2005 only...

It's all nonsense IMO.

Obvious you are unwilling or unable to read. The article points out what changed for the 2005 USA model year.

"BMW claims 0.5° more rake and 15mm more trail on this newest LT, and there’s no denying the changes have had a consider- able effect on the LT’s handling, particu- larly in tight, twisting road conditions.
In addition, we couldn’t help but notice that our 2005 model had been quietly switched over to bias-belted tires..."

I am not an auto engineer, and from past things you have posted I am quite sure you aren't either, but I am an engineer and read many technical articles. It is quite well known that the dynamics of radial tires are much different than bias ply tires. And that suspensions are tuned to one versus the other on cars as well as motorcycles. It isn't hard to believe that these suspension changes made radial tires ill suited for the 2005 and newer LTs, hence the fact that no tire maker recommends using a radial tire on the later models.

Sure radials may work fine on a 2005 in most conditions, but rest assured that BMW found at least one "corner condition" where things aren't kosher. You may never encounter that condition, but if you do you likely will be an unhappy camper.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 5:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No,

It's all nonsense IMO.

John in my personal experience with the LT and my 1150RT radial tires have a tendency to make the bikes fall into turns. The bias belted tires cause the bike to assume a more stable upright position. So it takes more input to the bars with bias tires for corners. The upside is that the bikes are much more stable in crosswind situations. I don't think I'm crazy as my son immediately noticed the change as well. As far as that rake and travel change, I don't really know. My bike's a 2000 and I've not ridden a newer one enough to make the camparison.

post #20 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Obvious you are unwilling or unable to read. ..
Correct.

Unwilling. I didn't ask for a review of the bike. Or a long winded explanation... It's pretty simple...

I asked WHY some tires are supposedly pre 05 only.

All you had to say is BMW changed the rake and trail and they feel that bias works better for 05 + bikes.

Mine is an 02 so I'm not worried about it. But if I DID own a later model, I would try the radials. I'll be the judge of how the bike handles... not BMW and their legal department.

I'm sure plenty of 05+ owners are doing the exact same thing and are fine.

Carry on...

post #21 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
. radial tires have a tendency to make the bikes fall into turns. The bias belted tires cause the bike to assume a more stable upright position. ..
No offense, But when I go into a corner the last thing I want to do is maintain an "upright position"

just teasing... sort of... sort of not.

Dean, what year is your LT ?

post #22 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 9:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Correct.

Unwilling. I didn't ask for a review of the bike. Or a long winded explanation... It's pretty simple...

I asked WHY some tires are supposedly pre 05 only.

All you had to say is BMW changed the rake and trail and they feel that bias works better for 05 + bikes.

Mine is an 02 so I'm not worried about it. But if I DID own a later model, I would try the radials. I'll be the judge of how the bike handles... not BMW and their legal department.

I'm sure plenty of 05+ owners are doing the exact same thing and are fine.

Carry on...
I figured I was wasting my time responding as your many erroneous posts in the past give clear indication that correctness and understanding aren't priorities for you.

Why did you bother to ask since you admit you don't care what the bike designer recommends and in your infinite wisdom will ignore their recommendations anyway?

I am impressed that you are smarter than the collective knowledge of the BMW engineers. How do you live with yourself?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 25 Old May 21st, 2014, 9:21 pm

Quote:
I figured I was wasting my time responding as your many erroneous posts in the past give clear indication that correctness and understanding aren't priorities for you.

Why did you bother to ask since you admit you don't care what the bike designer recommends and in your infinite wisdom will ignore their recommendations anyway?

I am impressed that you are smarter than the collective knowledge of the BMW engineers. How do you live with yourself?
Have a good day.

post #24 of 25 Old May 22nd, 2014, 9:07 pm

OUCH, tough crowd today.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #25 of 25 Old May 24th, 2014, 2:36 am

All of this time I assumed it was because radials we no longer produced. Hence BMW went with bias.

Interesting that the change in geometry wouldn't work with radial tires.

I never looked at the stock shocks to see if they were changed since when my rear went I bought after market shocks.

Best from T'son
bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in