Yet another headlight replacement thread - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 16th, 2014, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Question Yet another headlight replacement thread

I have gone through many of the thread here and am still having problems with the replacement of my low beam on my 2002. It doesn't seem to look exactly like the pictures I've seen.

First, I was expecting to have a two bulb setup, and while there are two sets of wires I can only see one bulb. After taking the cover off, the bottom wire runs into a hole, and the top (which seems to correspond to the single centered bulb in the assembly) has a square mounting assembly. I have purchased an H7 bulb but now have two questions.

Is this the stock configuration? What is the appropriate replacement for the single light config? Does anyone know of or have pictures of the specific 2002 headlight assembly? Specifically, how do these tabs disengage? I am very wary of breaking them. Am planning a trip tmw, have only high beam - which I could deal with but would prefer to sort this before.

BTW, I opted out of the HID replacement because I wasn't working - but just got job offer yesterday so might do that in the next few weeks. Hooray! I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to disengage those tabs.

Yes I have fat hands but my slender gf also struggled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 16th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Garage
Re: Yet another headlight replacement thread

Congrats and good luck with the job offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chesapeake, Virginia
'14 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue Metallic (paint code=A18)
'11 Victory Cross Country - Imperial Blue SOLD
'03 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 - Purple SOLD
post #3 of 7 Old May 16th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thynk3r View Post
I have gone through many of the thread here and am still having problems with the replacement of my low beam on my 2002. It doesn't seem to look exactly like the pictures I've seen.

First, I was expecting to have a two bulb setup, and while there are two sets of wires I can only see one bulb. After taking the cover off, the bottom wire runs into a hole, and the top (which seems to correspond to the single centered bulb in the assembly) has a square mounting assembly. I have purchased an H7 bulb but now have two questions.

Is this the stock configuration? What is the appropriate replacement for the single light config? Does anyone know of or have pictures of the specific 2002 headlight assembly? Specifically, how do these tabs disengage? I am very wary of breaking them. Am planning a trip tmw, have only high beam - which I could deal with but would prefer to sort this before.

BTW, I opted out of the HID replacement because I wasn't working - but just got job offer yesterday so might do that in the next few weeks. Hooray! I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to disengage those tabs.

Yes I have fat hands but my slender gf also struggled

These pictures in my Picassa photo album should help you figure this out.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1014897...s?noredirect=1
The pictures were taken on a K1200RS headlight, but it is basically the same unit as the 1st generation K1200LT (except for wire/cable for adjustment from dash). Later generation K1200LT have 2 separate headlight unit.

H7 is the low beam bulb - the top one in the pictures.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 7 Old May 16th, 2014, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

sailor

Thank you very much, absolutely nothing like what I was envisioning haha That was exactly what I was hoping for. Now to see if my oversized digits can solve the puzzle.
post #5 of 7 Old May 16th, 2014, 6:42 pm

There are two bulbs. The one you can see from in front of the bike is the high beam. The low beam is behind the reflector of the High beam and light radiates the light off the rear reflector.

Once you take the plastic cover off both bulbs should be accessible and they should be in line with one another. If you found the lower bulb go higher.. just 3 or 4 inches above the lower bulb.

Been a while since I was in there but you should be able to access the both bulbs from the bottom after you remove that access panel. I agree large hands are not a plus in that space.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 7 Old May 16th, 2014, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Those pix did the trick. I could agree more with the idea that once you've done this, its much easier, somewhat counter-intuitive, and I dunno if I'd call it elegant, but was quick once I figured it out.
post #7 of 7 Old May 18th, 2014, 3:31 am

Congrats on the job. Always good news when you have been looking for one. Enjoy your LT

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer

Tags
low beam headlight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in