Bluetooth Systems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 11th, 2014, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth Systems

Is anyone using the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Multiset. I bought one yesterday and my wife and I tried it today. The crosswinds really are loud in her mic and there is an echo or tunnel sound coming from her set. She just bought a 3/4 helmet w/ face shield so the mic catches the wind more.
Also, I'm no bluetooth geek and this was and still is a bit confusing to set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 10:29 am

Re: Bluetooth Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief4fels View Post
Is anyone using the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Multiset. I bought one yesterday and my wife and I tried it today. The crosswinds really are loud in her mic and there is an echo or tunnel sound coming from her set. She just bought a 3/4 helmet w/ face shield so the mic catches the wind more.
Also, I'm no bluetooth geek and this was and still is a bit confusing to set up.
I have used the Cardo Scala Rider with a riding buddy on a few 5+ plus mile trips and for shorter trips of a few hours to a few days.

Let me say that we both had full face helmets and they worked perfectly.

Now the Bluetooth to the Garmin 660/665 was a disaster but that is not the same as a comm system...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 10:40 am

While we're using a Scala Team Set Pro and not a Q3 I can tell you that mic placement is CRITICAL. The flat part of the mic under the foam needs to be vertical (not the bendable part but the actual mic itself). It needs to right up against your lips, close enough to kiss it. Make sure the right part is facing her. If you carefully pull the foam off, through the slots on the mic you'll see one side is green (circuit board) and one is black foam. You'll speak into the black foam side. Some of them are marked on the flexible boom.

Lastly, strong crosswinds have always been an issue with ours. They will always open her mic but not mine. The sound from the crosswind is much louder in my ears and "normal" wind which usually sounds like a bit of white noise.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old May 19th, 2014, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

When I felt the cross wind I also heard it quite loud. I put the bigger foam sock on it but no chance to try it yet.

Thanks
post #5 of 10 Old May 21st, 2014, 3:53 am

I just bought a G9 last month, and have no problems so far. I can listen to music all the time as well as receive clear calls.
post #6 of 10 Old May 21st, 2014, 4:50 am

The system I use is a Sena SMH10, one for me and one for the passenger. I also use a Sena SM10 dual stream bluetooth stereo transmitter, so both my passenger and I can listen to the same thing. My Garmin Zumo 550, which has a GXM30 XM radio antenna attached, is hard wired to the SM10. This system works flawlessly and allows my passenger and I to talk and both of us can listen to the XM radio or about a 1000 songs/ audio books that are loaded on the Zumo. The Zumo's touch screen acts as the interface for all my listening pleasure, and it works great as a GPS unit too. I also use my Iphone 5, which is paired to my headset. There has not been one time that when I turned everything on that something failed to pair automatically.

Now since installing the Sena Headsets into the two helmets, one full face and another a modular Shoei Neotec, I've used the boom mics that came with the SMH10 units. And these work OK, but just recently I bought a kit for the SENA units that includes a couple different mic options. Sena calls it Replacement Helmet Clamp Kit w/Attachable Wired & Boom Mic, cost $38.00 on Ebay. Having a Boom mic is a bit of a pain with a modular helmet, or at least it was for me with the Neotec. But I discovered that if I installed the small wired mic in the above kit, placing it just above my right eye using the supplied Velcro to attach it to the helmet cloth liner, the sound is fantastic and there is no wind noise at all with the helmet screen down. Two weeks ago my girlfriend called me while I was riding along doing 70 MPH, and she thought I was standing on the side of the road talking with my Ipone up to my face. I had to raise the helmet shield so she would believe that I was in motion. Now I no longer have the boom mic getting in the way of raising and lowering the helmet chin bar, and the sound coming from the mic is much better.

I so far have been very impressed with these SENA products, and their prices are what I call very reasonable.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Last edited by azccj; May 21st, 2014 at 4:56 am.
post #7 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2014, 3:02 am

Been here before and still can't make the decision of which to get. I had considered the Uclear HBC200 Force Bluetooth Communicator. On sale at my local HD steelaship for $249CDN local riders seem to like the Sena h10. For know I will continue to follow the forum blogs to fine tune my purchase. My needs are the same as most. I want phone connection and Sirius and GPS garmon mp3 connection and maybe later a radar detector.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #8 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2014, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
The system I use is a Sena SMH10, one for me and one for the passenger. I also use a Sena SM10 dual stream bluetooth stereo transmitter, so both my passenger and I can listen to the same thing. My Garmin Zumo 550, which has a GXM30 XM radio antenna attached, is hard wired to the SM10. This system works flawlessly and allows my passenger and I to talk and both of us can listen to the XM radio or about a 1000 songs/ audio books that are loaded on the Zumo. The Zumo's touch screen acts as the interface for all my listening pleasure, and it works great as a GPS unit too. I also use my Iphone 5, which is paired to my headset. There has not been one time that when I turned everything on that something failed to pair automatically.

Now since installing the Sena Headsets into the two helmets, one full face and another a modular Shoei Neotec, I've used the boom mics that came with the SMH10 units. And these work OK, but just recently I bought a kit for the SENA units that includes a couple different mic options. Sena calls it Replacement Helmet Clamp Kit w/Attachable Wired & Boom Mic, cost $38.00 on Ebay. Having a Boom mic is a bit of a pain with a modular helmet, or at least it was for me with the Neotec. But I discovered that if I installed the small wired mic in the above kit, placing it just above my right eye using the supplied Velcro to attach it to the helmet cloth liner, the sound is fantastic and there is no wind noise at all with the helmet screen down. Two weeks ago my girlfriend called me while I was riding along doing 70 MPH, and she thought I was standing on the side of the road talking with my Ipone up to my face. I had to raise the helmet shield so she would believe that I was in motion. Now I no longer have the boom mic getting in the way of raising and lowering the helmet chin bar, and the sound coming from the mic is much better.

I so far have been very impressed with these SENA products, and their prices are what I call very reasonable.
I too have the SENA but the SMH10R & the Shoei Neotec...never thought of using the wired mic in the location above the face shield. I shall give it a try.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #9 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper View Post
I too have the SENA but the SMH10R & the Shoei Neotec...never thought of using the wired mic in the location above the face shield. I shall give it a try.
You will be amazed at how well it works. But the mic is above my left eye, not the right, as I said in my original post on the subject. And the mic is out of view when the helmet is on my head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cimg1925a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	56849  

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #10 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
You will be amazed at how well it works. But the mic is above my left eye, not the right, as I said in my original post on the subject. And the mic is out of view when the helmet is on my head.
Thanks for the Pic & update on leftside.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in