That 12,001 mile maintenance feeling - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 11th, 2014, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

That 12,001 mile maintenance feeling

I'm about 80% done (still have to put the big tupperwear back on, buy a 14mm wrench, change the tranny and final drive oil...make that 60% done. ) Oil, plugs, fuel and air filters, coolant, pulled the radiators and flushed them. Valve lash, while still at the ragged edge of tolerance in three places, hasn't drifted in 12,000 miles.

That oil change STILL strikes me as the most singularly sloppy oilchange in all the vehicles I've ever done (and I've done a lot.)

Still...probably won't have to do it again this year, so it's all good.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 11th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Re: That 12,001 mile maintenance feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
I'm about 80% done (still have to put the big tupperwear back on, buy a 14mm wrench, change the tranny and final drive oil...make that 60% done. ) Oil, plugs, fuel and air filters, coolant, pulled the radiators and flushed them. Valve lash, while still at the ragged edge of tolerance in three places, hasn't drifted in 12,000 miles.

That oil change STILL strikes me as the most singularly sloppy oilchange in all the vehicles I've ever done (and I've done a lot.)

Still...probably won't have to do it again this year, so it's all good.
Oh.... You'll be singing the praises of fine German Engineering when you are working on getting the tranny oil changed!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 3 Old May 11th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Re: That 12,001 mile maintenance feeling

Great job so far. Yea the tranny can be an issue. there is a trick I learned on this site to make it a little less messy.
Take an oil bottle, cut in half length wise, without cutting the neck off, this will slide between the centerstand and empty the oil], hopefully, to your drain pan. Or you can make that goofy rubber thing that BMW shows in the book. I have done this alot, and usually works ok, 75%, but you will get it. The hardest part is getting the drain plug out at the same time, with your fingers in the way. as you said once a year isnt all that bad.

Hope that helps a little.

zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in