Pre-load adjuster on Wilbers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 11th, 2014, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Pre-load adjuster on Wilbers

I have determined that my shocks are completely blown and I'm about to order a new set of Wilbers from Ted Porter's Beemer shop online. Do I need to order the pre-load adjuster for the Wilbers rear shock or can I use the one that came with the stock one. It's an additional $250 which seems a little excessive for the purpose it serves. Has anyone tried this?

If not, then I'm wondering how well the new pre-load adjuster mounts to the bracket for the original pre-load adjuster under the seat....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 11th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Re: Pre-load adjuster on Wilbers

Can't really offer any advise as to what you should do, but I can tell you that the Wilbers pre-load adjuster fits fine under the seat, and that I have never touched mine. I gave Ted all the information I could about how I ride, what I wanted, etc. He set it up, and I have yet to change it in 3 years.
post #3 of 13 Old May 11th, 2014, 10:34 pm
cws

Garage

Pretty sure you'll need the Wilbers one... there's an additional adjustment cannister (compression reservoir, I think?) that it's attached to.. haven't touched the can since I first set it up... but I use the preloader knob same as the old one.. it fits in the same spot.
Might be a couple of different options available for setup... check your dealer.. Pirates Lair lists 4 x different setup options

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 13 Old May 12th, 2014, 6:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Pretty sure you'll need the Wilbers one... there's an additional adjustment cannister (compression reservoir, I think?) that it's attached to.. haven't touched the can since I first set it up... but I use the preloader knob same as the old one.. it fits in the same spot.
Might be a couple of different options available for setup... check your dealer.. Pirates Lair lists 4 x different setup options

I think you have the model that allows you to re-adjust the piston response for off-roading/out-backing? I believe those two screws set the extension and retraction response of the piston by controlling the valve orifices. Someone correct me, if they think I'm wrong. I don't plan to buy anything that complicated as I plan to keep my bike on the streets and highways. Thanks for the picture, that gives me a great look at the setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
post #5 of 13 Old May 12th, 2014, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt View Post
Can't really offer any advise as to what you should do, but I can tell you that the Wilbers pre-load adjuster fits fine under the seat, and that I have never touched mine. I gave Ted all the information I could about how I ride, what I wanted, etc. He set it up, and I have yet to change it in 3 years.
So, you haven't found the need to re-set the pre-load adjustment? Do you always ride 1 up? Or always ride with your SO? I know there is a questionnaire that asks about the percentage of time spent with a passenger and the additional weight. If everything has been fine for 3 years without adjustment, while switching between loads, then I may go without the adjuster... I'm sure I could always add one on later for $200-300, if needed.

Chad Albrecht
post #6 of 13 Old May 12th, 2014, 7:35 am

The 2 screws on the cannister adjust the low and high speed compression damping rates. Rebound damping is adjusted by the wheel on the shock unit itself. Preload on the spring is necessary if you intend to buy a Wilbers shock, as you will be asked for your weight, the percentage time you operate 2-up, with/without luggage and riding style. When the shock unit is built the spring will be rated such that no preload is required for single rider operation unloaded, from there the preload is used progressively. Fully laden my bike goes just on the allowable 600 Kg and the preload is set at 8 full turns of a possible 12. Bike feels perfect in every situation and never bottoms out, I can't recommend the Wilbers highly enough, money well spent.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #7 of 13 Old May 12th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht View Post
So, you haven't found the need to re-set the pre-load adjustment? Do you always ride 1 up? Or always ride with your SO? I know there is a questionnaire that asks about the percentage of time spent with a passenger and the additional weight. If everything has been fine for 3 years without adjustment, while switching between loads, then I may go without the adjuster... I'm sure I could always add one on later for $200-300, if needed.
I alternate between riding one up empty and loaded, and two up loaded. I like the ride a bit stiff empty, for handling, so having it set for two up works fine when I'm solo. Probably a personal thing, so you'll need to take my set up with a grain of salt.
post #8 of 13 Old May 12th, 2014, 7:16 pm
cws

Garage

+1 on a stiffer ride for improved handling stability, also my preference.

Dennis.. thanks for the more comprehensive explanation... my brain just said "oh yeah, that can thing... what was that for?"... lol

Only problem with the compression reservoir location is I need to twist it out of the way any time I want to get the diagnostic cable out for the GS911.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 13 Old May 12th, 2014, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great information as always. I think that I will place the order tomorrow, but I think that I'll call Ted directly and see what he has to say about the adjuster. I'll let you know if he says that I can simply use the OEM....but I seriously doubt that that will be the answer. I get the feeling that I'll fork over the extra loot.

Chad Albrecht
post #10 of 13 Old May 13th, 2014, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

In the end, I purchased the front and rear shock pair with the Wilbers pre-load adjuster installed. It turns out that the pre-load adjuster is an additional hydrolic piston assembly that is installed onto the standard shock and spring assembly. I was originally thinking that the shock was built standard with this assembly already attached. This is the justification for the extra $250. If you don't pay for it, then the shock will come to you bare with only a spring and piston. I did not question whether the OEM pre-loader can be fitted onto the Wilbers.....it's not something I would have wanted to tackle anyway. It might have jeopardized the integrity of the factory setup of my new shocks.

Chad Albrecht
post #11 of 13 Old May 31st, 2014, 11:43 pm Thread Starter

I received my new Wilbers yesterday. Installed them today. I had to use a hammer to persuade the front shock over the little metal lip near the bottom side. Is there a special trick to it.....I was able to install the shocks, but I would like to know if there is a better way to maneuver the front shock into place.

BTW, the new shocks are awesome. Went for a 1 hour test ride and found that the tracking through some hard cornering is much more predictable and accurate.

Chad Albrecht
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 4:57 am
Enjoy The Ride

I have had to file a little off of the front lower shock many times so it fits easily.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I have had to file a little off of the front lower shock many times so it fits easily.
Thanks Dave, it's good to know that even some of our more mechanically inclined members were having the same problem.

I ultimately needed to remove the metal sleeve that goes over the upper screw and then I found a big washer and used it under the upper nut to draw the shock up as high as I could by compressing the rubber gaskets as much as possible. I still found it necessary to employ a hammer to nudge the lower side of the shock over the front of that 'catch lip'. Once it was in place, I removed the upper nut and washer, re-installed the metal sleeve by pushing it down through the top hole and wiggling it until it seated into the rubber gasket on the top of the shock, and then I put the upper gasket on and tightened everything up with the top nut.

Chad Albrecht

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in