Catalytic Convertor Failure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 11th, 2014, 4:09 am Thread Starter

Question Catalytic Convertor Failure

Hi has anyone experienced Cat failure yet? My 99 1200LT with 140,000 miles under her belt started making a heavy clonk from low down when accelerating/decelerating!!!! Traced the noise to the first expansion box (the cat)something was very loose inside. Removed exhaust and proceeded to cut open the box to discover the cat had separated from the pipework and was banging up and down the internal pipe. Now here's the problem do I spend £2000 on a new exhaust? I am considering removing the offending cat and welding up the box leaving the oxy sensor in place, figuring that it will still function correctly and not upset the engine management!! Anyone have any thoughts what the long term implications are running without the cat? No worries in UK/Spain re exhaust emission checks (at the moment). Any thoughts re performance and mpg....will they improve? Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 11th, 2014, 7:50 am

Re: Catalytic Convertor Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
. I am considering removing the offending cat and welding up the box leaving the oxy sensor in place, figuring that it will still function correctly and not upset the engine management!! Anyone have any thoughts what the long term implications are running without the cat? No worries in UK/Spain re exhaust emission checks (at the moment). Any thoughts re performance and mpg....will they improve? Cheers!
Cut it open remove the cat and weld it back up.

Even if you had emission testing, removing the cat would have no effect.
They may however do a visual check for one. (if your bike came with one from the factory)

the dense honeycomb cat is VERY restrictive.

I gutted the cat on my pickup truck and gained 5 mpg.

One thing though.... on the LT, if you gut the cat.... you basically turn that section into a resonator.... which MAY or MAY NOT effect your exhaust tone.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 11th, 2014, 10:45 am

I second gut the cat. Mine went bad at about 150k. I removed it and it flows better but sounds pretty cool too. It seems to run better. I havent noticed any excessive emmisions smell either.

93 katana 600 wrecked
82 v45 magna sold (never should have)
80 xj650 maxim sold but not forgotten
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
any @ss can ride fast, it takes a pro to ride slow... one day i could be that pro.

post #4 of 8 Old May 12th, 2014, 1:48 am

I have rodded out cats for my track students when the brick broke loose and partially (almost totally) plugged the pipe. As long as you leave the oxygen sensor working and don't mind the tone change you'll likely not detect any difference.

However, do not believe the junk about cats being hugely restrictive. In good shape, they're not. Generally rodding out a cat won't do anything useful for power and when someone calms a substantial benefit it may well be that that vehicle has other more fundamental problems that have gone unaddressed.
post #5 of 8 Old May 12th, 2014, 2:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
I have rodded out cats for my track students when the brick broke loose and partially (almost totally) plugged the pipe. As long as you leave the oxygen sensor working and don't mind the tone change you'll likely not detect any difference.

However, do not believe the junk about cats being hugely restrictive. In good shape, they're not. Generally rodding out a cat won't do anything useful for power and when someone calms a substantial benefit it may well be that that vehicle has other more fundamental problems that have gone unaddressed.
Plus 1. LT's generally run BETTER with fully functioning cats. The motronics are programmed for them.

At 140K it is not unusual for them to be toast. They have a design life - like all things - and that ain't too shabby.

My advice for the OP: Quite screwing around, man up and buy a new one. OR - if you have the skills to take one apart and weld it back together - go out and buy a new section for next to nothing and repair it properly.

I had one of these welded on to my 1987 454 Chevy 1 ton crew cab dually exhaust (that ran like horse hockey) when the OEM cat was toast at 220K. I suck at tig welding, so some things are better left to guys that do it every day for a living and have all the fittings and hangers next to them. It took some custom cutting and fitting. It passed emissions and ran SO much better it was hard to believe. I'm not sure if any of these will fit the LT's exhaust, but they are worth a look. Especially for $3,000 USD for a new one? I would find it hard to invest in something that was the same value as the bike's re-sale value. On a good day. In the spring.

I say: Keep 'em hummin' for $100.00. You've still got 100K miles to go on the engine. Really.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...llic-substrate

(Wow, do I smell a business opportunity here or what?)

We'll all breathe a lot easier too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 12th, 2014 at 2:55 am.
post #6 of 8 Old May 12th, 2014, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Hi All Thanks for your responses. Well as I said I bit the bullet and took the exhaust off and cut open the box. Sure enough the "brick" was loose and sliding up and down the box. It was fairly badly damaged and looked pretty clogged! Re-welded the box back together (MIG weld) re-fitted the system and went for a ride. As everyone suggested the exhaust note has altered, deeper tone. The performance does seem to be slightly improved, not just on acceleration but also accelerating in higher gear (ie 30mph in 5th) the engine pulls really well. Not sure if the MPG has improved, but due to do some longer journeys over the coming weeks. Once again thanks for your advice.
post #7 of 8 Old May 12th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Aside from the fact that a healthy catalyst results in only a miniscule loss (if any) in engine power at full throttle, there seems to be a disconnect between the removal of the catalyst and modern thinking on safety and heath. The "old" gasoline contained lead compounds to prevent detonation, but since it could cause learning difficulties and poison the catalyst, the lead compound was replaced by compounds containing aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzene and toluene. These don't cause learning difficulties and don't poison the catalyst, but unburned aromatic hydrocarbons can cause damage to the human central nervous system and are carcinogenic in various degrees. Also in the products of combustion could be nitrous oxide, the largest contributor nowadays to the depletion of the ozone layer. The modern three-way catalyst takes care of carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas in itself, unburned hydrocarbons and nitrous oxide. Even though the engine will run without the catalyst, the disadvantages appear to outweigh any possible advantage. Let alone that it is illegal to remove the catalyst.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

Last edited by andres; May 12th, 2014 at 1:11 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old May 12th, 2014, 1:37 pm

gasoline has always contained benzene and it can cause leukemia in children including teenagers, very carcinogenic

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in