I hope I didn't make a huge mistake.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 11:38 am Thread Starter

I hope I didn't make a huge mistake....

I made an emotional decision and drove 8 hours to purchase a 2004 K1200LT because it only had 4k miles on it, was climate control stored and was assured by seller that everything worked great.

I sold a Harley Davidson Dyna to buy a tour bike my wife and I could be comfortable on. I have stage 4 cancer and it was a bucket list item to take a few trips this summer.

That said, the bike ran great all the way home except that the ABS and brake failure light are blinking. The brakes worked great however so I went ahead and brought it home.

After getting it home I replaced the battery, dropped in a few ounces of Sea Foam and continued to ride the bike on some day rides. The last ride, the bike started sputtering any time I'm accelerating or change gears. After a few sputters, the bike eventually opens up and runs, but something is definitely wrong. I called a dealership and the guy gave me the whole sigh on the phone thing and told me all fluids need to be flushed and replaced to start and that just that service would cost a grand at best.

I realize that sitting is the worst thing for a bike. I just may have made a bad decision based on emotions, but the bike is pristine on the outside. Can someone please tell me if flushing everything is something that I could do on my own or do I absolutely need to go to a dealership for it? I have a shop manual, tools, and time, but I've never worked on such a high tech bike before. Any suggestions? Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 11:52 am

Re: I hope I didn't make a huge mistake....

Welcome to the LT world.

First things first....praying for the best for your health and healing.

As for the bike, the dealer is right in that all the fluids should be changed. This MIGHT take care of the ABS failure light because a low fluid sensor in the system may be triggered. If you have a reasonable amount of mechanical skills, these services are really not all that difficult.

If you review these videos, http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service...eos/15-k-bikes you can gauge against your abilities and get things done. Within these videos, you can see an overall review of the LT and many of the services needed to keep these bikes in top shape.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 12:04 pm

If it sat a long time with fuel in the tank, the fuel filter may be clogged, also the fuel pressure regulator on the rear of the fuel rail may be sticking.

Best test would be to hook up a pressure gage to the fuel supply line that goes to the front of the fuel rail, and monitor that with engine running. The fuel pressure should be 49.8 PSI.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 12:15 pm

One of the things you mentioned was that you replaced the battery. After you replaced it did you perform the throttle position set? That would cause the sputtering you're talking about. If you didn't, it's an easy fix. Disconnect the battery (no need to remove), reconnect the battery, turn ignition on to run but DO NOT start the motorcycle, twist the throttle fully open and closed 2 - 3 times, turn off motorcycle, they you can start again as normal. Hopefully that will remedy the sputtering.

Are the brake lights "wig wagging" or alternately flashing? If so that usually means low fluid in the reservoir under the seat. On my 2002 there are actually two and make sure they're both topped off. If on is on steady and the other is flashing it could mean something else.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #5 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Replacing all of the fluids is rather easy if you are used to turning a wrench, But, it is very time consuming since we wind up having to take almost all of the tupperware off.

I recently dropped my LT of my lift onto my HD. the HD is fine but my LT had damage to the windshield razing and lower mechanism. to get at that I had to take off the mirrors, adjustable side wings, black plastic crash bar protectors, silver tupperware behind the protectors, flap under the front of the seat, front turn signals, windshield brackets, cover under the windshield, both front upper side panels, and nose cone.

You will NEED a rechargeable screw drive with an adjustable clutch to set the torq, bits for the driver, a good flash light, speed bleeders for front and rear different sizes, tubing to go over the speed bleeder nipples, container to catch old fluid you push through, a set of torx bits for ratchets from an auto parts store, an oil filter wrench to fit the LT's filter, funnel with a long neck, a couple of crush washers.

As you take the tupperware off note that there are two different length fasteners, make notes as to where the short ones go. when taking the tupperware off inspect each metal clip that holds a nut onto the tupperware, its easy to have one fall off.

when you go to reinstall everything you will find that by design nothing fits perfectly. everything has some tension on it to get it to fit correctly. most evident when two panels overlap and get bolted to the frame.

when you GENTLY squeeze the levers for the front brake and clutch, a small spurt is expelled from the reservoir you can try putting a quarter of half dollar over the small hole in the reservoir or just cup it with your hand. Brake and clutch fluid the exact same type EAT paint!!

Here is how i made endless hours of frustration for myself--for some reason I assumed the clutch lever would feel exactly the same as the brake lever---NOT!!!

when re-installing the upper right front panel you will find a plug just hanging there, it goes to an extra accessory jack that can be added.

you will greatly improve the low beams by installing a HID bulb and ballast. Much brighter bulbs are available for the high beam, axillary light helps a lot also.

If you start wiggling around on short trips of an hour or so, aftermarket seats solve that problem.

You will have to get used to the LT, it easily runs to red line at 7K, especially in twisties, you can run many of them in 2nd gear at 4-5K through corners with little or no braking. The LT does not run that well at low RPMS like HDs do. shifting above 3K makes it nice and smooth.

One day my wife said that if I wanted her to keep riding with me, HELL YES!!, we needed something more comfortable than my 86FXRS. Begrudgingly, I set off to plunk down a 1K deposit on a new HD dresser. around a year later the dealer would notify you if something similar was due to be shipped to him. The sales person started arguing with me about what the purchase price would be, of course at that time way over suggested retail. I countered we'd simply take whatever percentage over retail they were getting now and apply that. He started arguing and lecturing me about MSRP and Retail price.

I left, telling him Id be back when there is a foot of snow on the ground here in July--he ended my Harley Fever. My wife loved the LT compared to a full dresser, me too!!

shortly after getting the LT Marietta had to live in constant pain, taking increasing amounts of pain meds to dull the pain. I wound up taking care of her driving her to every appointment, sitting in on every Dr's appointment. Harrassing Dr's office staff, insurance, co, pharmacies, nurses in hospitals, administration at testing facilities. We became very, very close, she became my best friend. I held her as she died in a hospital room. Those last three years were constant HIGH stress, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

One morning as we we getting ready to drive to her dialysis, she loving looked at me ans said "I don't know what I'd do with out you?" My immediate comment was "I don;t know what I'd do with out you darling?!" We hugged each other for a while and then left.

My Bests wishes for you and your wife.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Man I just had tears twice reading this thread.
I hope someone lives near the op and can give him a helping hand.
post #7 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 2:58 pm

I think you made a great decision, Patrick. Once you get things sorted out, you will love the LT! And this is the right place to come for advice.

Sending prayers for you and your family.

-Craig

'99 K1200LTC

'00 R1100RT
'98 H-D Road King Classic
'86 Suzuki Cavalcade LX
'79 Yamaha XS1100

MOA #179460
IBA #57873
post #8 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profireman35 View Post
I made an emotional decision and drove 8 hours to purchase a 2004 K1200LT because it only had 4k miles on it, was climate control stored and was assured by seller that everything worked great.

I sold a Harley Davidson Dyna to buy a tour bike my wife and I could be comfortable on. I have stage 4 cancer and it was a bucket list item to take a few trips this summer.

That said, the bike ran great all the way home except that the ABS and brake failure light are blinking. The brakes worked great however so I went ahead and brought it home.

After getting it home I replaced the battery, dropped in a few ounces of Sea Foam and continued to ride the bike on some day rides. The last ride, the bike started sputtering any time I'm accelerating or change gears. After a few sputters, the bike eventually opens up and runs, but something is definitely wrong. I called a dealership and the guy gave me the whole sigh on the phone thing and told me all fluids need to be flushed and replaced to start and that just that service would cost a grand at best.

I realize that sitting is the worst thing for a bike. I just may have made a bad decision based on emotions, but the bike is pristine on the outside. Can someone please tell me if flushing everything is something that I could do on my own or do I absolutely need to go to a dealership for it? I have a shop manual, tools, and time, but I've never worked on such a high tech bike before. Any suggestions? Please?
Please take a few minutes to fill in some blanks in your Profile and let us know where your located. There are probably a few members in your area that will be willing to give you a hand with the service issues.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #9 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Wink Re: I hope I didn't make a huge mistake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
Please take a few minutes to fill in some blanks in your Profile and let us know where your located. There are probably a few members in your area that will be willing to give you a hand with the service issues.
+1! What Lynn says here is so very true for this site. We have members all over the place, and many of us would be more than happy to lend a hand with basic servicing. Lord knows that after having owned an LT for over 14 years we have done just about everything needed for servicing this great Bike. And I am just one of many folks here who are long time owners.

So where the heck are you?

Oh yeah, Welcome to the only real K1200LT Site!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 56 Old May 10th, 2014, 5:41 pm

I hope you and your wife enjoy many happy miles on your LT, I know my wife and I have.
post #11 of 56 Old May 11th, 2014, 5:47 pm

Garage

Welcome to the LT family
And though I'm a novice at wrenching, only oil change under my belt. I want to offer my prayers to you and family and moral support in all your undertakings. The wiser heads are willing to assist. Hope you enjoy the LT well beyond your bucket list expectations.
ride safe
post #12 of 56 Old May 11th, 2014, 10:16 pm

After changing the battery. Doing a TPS(Throttle position sensor) reset is needed. Try that. As far as wig wag of the ABS lights. Your brake fluid is probably low. Mine was flashing and topping off the reservoir under the seat solved the problem.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #13 of 56 Old May 12th, 2014, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
After changing the battery. Doing a TPS(Throttle position sensor) reset is needed. Try that. As far as wig wag of the ABS lights. Your brake fluid is probably low. Mine was flashing and topping off the reservoir under the seat solved the problem.

+1 on this, less than an ounce low in the under-seat resevoir can show an error

if you're in the north Texas area, I'd be happy to help with the maintenance

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #14 of 56 Old May 12th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Sputtering? I had a similar issue with my older BMW K bike, it turned out that the fuel line inside the gas tank had rotted from years of sitting around. I replaced the filter and line in my K1200LT proactively. The cost to repair is pretty insignificant. This URL is worth a look, I have used a few videos from it to save literally hundreds, maybe thousands repair cost. Just proceed slow and everything will be fine.

http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/ins...eos/15-k-bikes
post #15 of 56 Old May 12th, 2014, 7:02 pm

You absolutely DID NOT make a mistake. The only mistake you may be making is suffering from buyer's remorse. You bought a great bike with what is probably a small problem.

This forum is a fantastic source for information about your bike. I was not aware of the need to set the throttle sensor by turning the grip after battery replacement. I just put a new Odyssey battery in mine. Guess I'd better do the rest of the job and twist that throttle.

Has spring hit Michigan City Indiana to the point that you can go riding much? We had record breaking 100 + days last week. This week the highs are predicted to be in the upper 60s.
post #16 of 56 Old May 12th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Smile Re: I hope I didn't make a huge mistake....

I have been dealing with prostate cancer that came back after a 2008 surgery so I can somewhat understand your issues and thoughts. Praying for you and your family. Enjoy every day.

I bought my '99 LT last fall and we are still bonding. It is a lot different than the Road Star I had. I tackled the tupperware last month to tighten the handlebars and remove the radio system that gave up years ago. (More storage now).
I am really liking the LT for a SMOOTH, QUIET, ride. My wife started riding with me again just the other day. She's liking the ride much better and the hand bars on the side bags. She says it give her a stable secure feeling.

Anyway, you did good on your purchase(IMO). Ride it to get used to the feel and enjoy.
post #17 of 56 Old May 14th, 2014, 10:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you got a good deal on the bike, it might be expeditious to take it to the dealer, or independent BMW shop, pay the price for a complete go-through; and then hit the road. Do you want to ride or wrench? Working on the Big Girl can look intimidating, but it's really just a bunch of simple steps.

Beemerboneyard, among others, has stuff if you want to DIY:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k12ltrsmaintkit.html
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/clym501.html

I've had the wig-wag brake lights on my 2002 a few times, and it was always fixed by added fluid to the rear res.

Motor On ,/'

post #18 of 56 Old May 14th, 2014, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I can tell that I've definitely come to the right place for help. I'll kind of try answering all questions in one shot if I can.

I haven't tried the throttle reset yet, but it's the first thing I will do in the morning when I get home. I'm a full time firefighter and on day two of a 48 hour shift. I know.....I don't know why I'm still working either other than it keeps me going. I'm 44, was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in 2008. A year ago November, it spread to my liver. They took half of my liver out and as far as I know, I'm still ok for now. They gave me a 20% chance for 5 years, so I while hopeful, I'm staying pragmatic and trying to enjoy life just a little bit more as often as I can.

The guy I bought the bike from did a complete oil and filter change before I left his shop and I did watch him top off both of the brake fluid reservoirs. What the BMW dealership told me without looking at the bike just scared me. He said that brake fluid sitting in the system over 5 years could turn to molasses and ruin the ABS unit and then added that each ABS runs about 3 thousand dollars. I can hear it working when I pull the brake lever, so I know it's working.

I knew BMW's would be pricey when it came to service and that didn't really scare me too much. It did scare me when the service rep said it would cost me no less than a thousand dollars for fluid flush and fill on all systems. I just don't have another grand to do this right now and I had hoped to just get on and ride this year.

Someone said above I'll have to remove a bunch of things to get inside the bike. Well, I figured out how to remove the mirrors the first day I had the bike. Just hit some railroad tracks a tad fast will do that trick. My horror stricken face should have been captured on film when they both slammed into the pavement and bounced down the highway ruining my pristine low mile bike. Lucky for me the truck behind me stopped and blocked traffic until I could walk back and scoop them up. Guess I'll buy the cables now.

Ride weather in Michigan City has been up and down. I have First Gear riding gear, so usually anything over 45 degrees is fair game for me. I try to avoid rain, but it doesn't hold me back too much either if I really want to get out. There's a lot less chrome to polish than what I'm used to riding!

Ok, there's a lot to digest above. I'm going to watch some video's and in the morning I'll try to re-set the throttle and see if that helps. My fuel gauge doesn't work either....sat too long with low fuel I think....but the main systems are at least working to get me by. Believe me, I'd take it straight in for a full once over if I could afford it.

Thanks again everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Patrick
post #19 of 56 Old May 14th, 2014, 4:02 pm

So far as the cables go, you can just head to Walmart's sporting goods department and get a small package of wire or nylon fishing leaders. That's what mine are. I found out when I knocked a mirror off in the garage after I first bought it and it just hung there. Just get them long enough and too long is better than too short.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #20 of 56 Old May 14th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Not sure if I saw someone suggested removing the charcoal cannister under the rear top trunk. This procedure is on the IL BMW site and may be the cause of the the stalling. Removing mine made the bike run like it was new again but I did have to remove and fix the fuel probe to read correctly on the gauge.
This is a great site for those of us who are new to the LT. Good people with good advise. Just takes some tools, patience and some extra cash to dial in your machine for miles of enjoyable riding.

Ride safe. Greg
post #21 of 56 Old May 14th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Zip ties will work great also.
post #22 of 56 Old May 19th, 2014, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Well guys, I disconnected the battery again, reconnected it, turned the key on and throttled it open two or three times. I then turned the key off, turned it back on and fired the bike up. I can't even get it to idle now. It will barely start and when you throttle it up a little it starts to and then dies. I can barely get it to run now.

I guess I'm stuck. Was supposed to ride to Minnesota the day after tomorrow for my grand mother's 95th birthday, but am going to be stuck in my truck now the way it looks. I called BMW in Grand Rapids, Michigan and was told basically the same story on cost to flush and fill everything as a starting point. They can't get me in for a couple of weeks which is fine because I just paid 5 grand for a CT PET scan, blood work, and an office visit with my oncologist. So far all Obama Care has done is raise my out of pocket on my insurance with the city. It could take me a few months, so my riding season may have ended before it got off the ground. Oh well.

Anyone want an 04 with 5k miles on it for 8K?
post #23 of 56 Old May 19th, 2014, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Sorry. I'm not a quitter, just frustrated. Going to start taking it apart tomorrow morning and see if I can find any lines cracked, mice nests, etc. If nothing else, the dealership won't charge me for the time to take it apart if I have to take it in.

Going to order everything I need for a couple of services plus a few things I "might" need later on down the road.
post #24 of 56 Old May 19th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Sorry. I'm not a quitter, just frustrated. Going to start taking it apart tomorrow morning and see if I can find any lines cracked, mice nests, etc. If nothing else, the dealership won't charge me for the time to take it apart if I have to take it in.

Going to order everything I need for a couple of services plus a few things I "might" need later on down the road.
I've dealt (dealing) with this as well, well as close as I can guess at least. I had to do the TPS reset procedure a few times to get it all smooth. Instead of pulling the battery cable - while that's very doable - I pull the fuse just under the seat. Bit easier and no tools needed. It's become something of a 'quick fix'.

However, my real problem is the throttle cable tensions. I really, really need to get in there and do that right. No amount of fiddling with the 'tronics will fix that over sight on my part.

Here, it's fuse number 4 on this page. Pull it - give it a good few minutes to 'loose it's mind', reinstall the fuse and do the reset dance.
http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2013...to-replace-it/

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #25 of 56 Old May 20th, 2014, 12:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter View Post
I've dealt (dealing) with this as well, well as close as I can guess at least. I had to do the TPS reset procedure a few times to get it all smooth. Instead of pulling the battery cable - while that's very doable - I pull the fuse just under the seat. Bit easier and no tools needed. It's become something of a 'quick fix'.

However, my real problem is the throttle cable tensions. I really, really need to get in there and do that right. No amount of fiddling with the 'tronics will fix that over sight on my part.

Here, it's fuse number 4 on this page. Pull it - give it a good few minutes to 'loose it's mind', reinstall the fuse and do the reset dance.
http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2013...to-replace-it/
As we say in California..... Dude, long time no see!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #26 of 56 Old May 20th, 2014, 8:28 am

Quote:
I would remove the tank and change the fuel filter. It is inside the tank. (bottom)

at that point you can also check the sending unit and get your gas gauge working. I would suggest the quick disconnects for the fuel lines ... http://www.beemerboneyard.com/fuliqudise.html

as far as the brakes, If you can hear the servo motors ... thats good.
get the video from Johnny Z. or read up on how to flush the wheel and control circuits. check the air filter too. make sure the lid is seated fully when you put it back together.

other random thoughts...
change the rear diff. fluid at every oil change... I like to add Lucas gear additive also...

drill a weep hole in the bellhousing .. where the clutch slave is.... it will alert you if it starts to leak.

there is a print out somewhere on this site that shows all the screw locations... it is handy... almost everyone ends up with a few extra screws in their hand the first time they take the bodywork off...

PS:
you should have bought a harley like the rest of your fire fighter buddies...

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #27 of 56 Old May 21st, 2014, 12:07 am

While you got tge tupperware off replace the fuel line quick disconnect with the ones bemer boneyard sells... you will be doing yourself a favor...

Is it really nessasary to disconnect the battery to do the tp reset...? I never do on any of my bmws, and get good results

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
post #28 of 56 Old May 21st, 2014, 3:00 am

I didnt read every post completely through but will offer the following:
1. If you had acceptable braking on an '04 you should change the fluid and make sure you have the required amount when you refill. If the servo had failed you would have stopping power equivalent to a car with power brakes without the engine running. Which is to say..... None

2. Your crappy running situation probably occurred after you filled the gas tank. On the US models if you "overfill" the fuel tank you will flood the charcoal cannister which causes the symptoms you describe. It won't idle, it dies when you come to a stop, and basically runs like a pig. Remove or plug off the charcoal cannister and your rough running days will be over. Pull up to the pump and fill the sucker to the top with no fear of the rough running symptoms.
3. If your officer will let you work on your bike in a bay you really have it made.

good luck all around my friend.

loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #29 of 56 Old May 21st, 2014, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt View Post
. Remove or plug off the charcoal cannister.
Great suggestion , Loren.

I forgot about that.... I did it so long ago.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #30 of 56 Old May 23rd, 2014, 9:11 pm

A couple of considerations.....You cannot top up the tank on an LT unless you have gotten rid of the charcoal cannister, or at least cut the tubing and plugged it off. If you do top it off, the vent line gets clogged, and causes your tank to collapse from the suction of the fuel pump....Guess what else happens? It causes the bike to run shitty, not idle, and it will bend the thin metal tube that the fuel level float rides in, inside the tank, jamming the float, and viola, no fuel level indication!! The fuel level float tube can also be bent by sticking a fuel fill nozzle too deep in the tank (ask how I know about all this stuff?) Been there, done that...This site has all the information you need to fix these things in about an hour with a screwdriver.. You don't have to remove the tank, you really don't have to remove the charcoal canister, I just followed the tank vent line down to its lowest point, and cut it so it would hang out the bottom of the bike, and plugged the end going to the canister with a screw..Problems solved. You would do to get a manual to help you with the bike, but with only 4K miles, there shouldn't be much that can be wrong..If the previous owner already did all the oils, you could just have the dealer bleed the brake system, and check the gap on the ABS sensors on the wheels (by the gear ring on the wheels) Don't give up!!!! Loud pipes may save lives, but an LT makes life worth living...Somebody recently asked me how I liked my LT, I told them it is the last bike I'll ever own, I don't want anything else!!!

Oh I almost forgot, you can check for the clogged tank vent line by just loosening the fuel fill cap, and run the bike, if it improves quickly, clogged fuel vent...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by casualemt; May 23rd, 2014 at 9:22 pm. Reason: clarification
post #31 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Ok all. I am kind of behind the ball still, but moving forward. I had to go out of town for a week and just got home. All my new stuff came in while I was gone and if I don't have overtime tomorrow, I'll be starting the project.

I bought the metal quick disconnects for the fuel line, a new submersible fuel line for inside the tank, a NAPA Gold fuel filter as in video, new coolant, new DOT 4 brake fluid, some good gear oil for the trans, an HID Light kit, a K&N air filter, hose clamps, and a few other small goodies that I might need.

I never really top off a fuel tank, but I probably do over fill it because I always hold the nozzle above the fuel tank to see what I'm doing. I'll take the cap off and try and start it tomorrow and see what happens. One thing I forgot to mention is that when starting, the bike smokes like crazy for a couple of minutes while warming up (when it will idle).

I have no idea what this charcoal tank thing is. I'll have to look in the manual and see if I can find it. What is it and what does it do? I like the screw in the hose idea because simple is always best for a firefighter. I'm much better at breaking stuff than fixing it normally.

So, I probably don't have to do everything I'm doing, but if I'm going through taking off all the tupperware, I may as well just do everything while I'm in there and know that everything is fresh and clean. Plan is to bleed and refill everything except the forks and be done with it for a while.

Hey, does anyone know what to look at as far as the fuel gauge goes while I'm in the tank? Is it something I can just clean and work by hand a few times to Un-stick it or is it something I'll need to most likely replace?

If everything goes as planned, tomorrow morning will be the day when I get home that I start ripping into this thing. I just hope I have enough beer to get through all of it. LOL
post #32 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt View Post
I didnt read every post completely through but will offer the following:
1. If you had acceptable braking on an '04 you should change the fluid and make sure you have the required amount when you refill. If the servo had failed you would have stopping power equivalent to a car with power brakes without the engine running. Which is to say..... None

2. Your crappy running situation probably occurred after you filled the gas tank. On the US models if you "overfill" the fuel tank you will flood the charcoal cannister which causes the symptoms you describe. It won't idle, it dies when you come to a stop, and basically runs like a pig. Remove or plug off the charcoal cannister and your rough running days will be over. Pull up to the pump and fill the sucker to the top with no fear of the rough running symptoms.
3. If your officer will let you work on your bike in a bay you really have it made.

good luck all around my friend.

loren
Luckily, I am my officer quite a bit of the time! If all this is something I can do in a day, I'm all over it. I also work with a guy who buys and fixes up old motorcycles as a side gig, so I bet if I started there's no way he could avoid helping me out! lol
post #33 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 10:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ok all. I am kind of behind the ball still, but moving forward. I had to go out of town for a week and just got home. All my new stuff came in while I was gone and if I don't have overtime tomorrow, I'll be starting the project.

I bought the metal quick disconnects for the fuel line, a new submersible fuel line for inside the tank, a NAPA Gold fuel filter as in video, new coolant, new DOT 4 brake fluid, some good gear oil for the trans, an HID Light kit, a K&N air filter, hose clamps, and a few other small goodies that I might need.

I never really top off a fuel tank, but I probably do over fill it because I always hold the nozzle above the fuel tank to see what I'm doing. I'll take the cap off and try and start it tomorrow and see what happens. One thing I forgot to mention is that when starting, the bike smokes like crazy for a couple of minutes while warming up (when it will idle).

I have no idea what this charcoal tank thing is. I'll have to look in the manual and see if I can find it. What is it and what does it do? I like the screw in the hose idea because simple is always best for a firefighter. I'm much better at breaking stuff than fixing it normally.

So, I probably don't have to do everything I'm doing, but if I'm going through taking off all the tupperware, I may as well just do everything while I'm in there and know that everything is fresh and clean. Plan is to bleed and refill everything except the forks and be done with it for a while.

Hey, does anyone know what to look at as far as the fuel gauge goes while I'm in the tank? Is it something I can just clean and work by hand a few times to Un-stick it or is it something I'll need to most likely replace?

If everything goes as planned, tomorrow morning will be the day when I get home that I start ripping into this thing. I just hope I have enough beer to get through all of it. LOL
I don't recall the details, but I know that some here have found ways to repair a dented tube should that bad the problem you find. Might want to do a few searches here. It sometimes takes a while to find the right key words, but usually a few tries will get you to the right thread.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #34 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 10:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Luckily, I am my officer quite a bit of the time! If all this is something I can do in a day, I'm all over it. I also work with a guy who buys and fixes up old motorcycles as a side gig, so I bet if I started there's no way he could avoid helping me out! lol
You may wish to add a profile as Lynn suggested ad you may have an experienced LT wrench in your neigh hood.

I am not dissing your colleague who fixes old bikes, but know that the LT is a very sophisticated modern motorcycle that, while not hard to work on, has some quirks that make it important to have dome model specific knowledge before diving in deep.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #35 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 10:36 am

Take pics as you go..they will serve you well putting it back together.

Naked pics of the old girl will be expected here as well..lol.
It's porn for us!
post #36 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 10:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1955 View Post
Take pics as you go..they will serve you well putting it back together.

Naked pics of the old girl will be expected here as well..lol.
It's porn for us!
That is a good one. Sad, but true!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #37 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

I thought I did put a profile up. Not sure what else to put down.
post #38 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 2:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I thought I did put a profile up. Not sure what else to put down.
Yes, my mistake. I was thinking signature as many of us put our bike details there for ready reference when we post a question. I see that your profile is there. My bad!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #39 of 56 Old May 31st, 2014, 4:16 pm

The fuel sender is screwed to the tank with an electrical connector on it. just remove the screws, and slide the whole thing out. the sender is inside a thin metal tube, and when this tube gets bent, you can see it pretty easily. there is a way to take it all apart and straighten the tube, I just used a dowel and a screw driver to take the dent out without dismantling it, works perfectly now. The canister is located kind of under the passenger seat/backrest area. like I said, you don't need to remove it to negate its disasterous effect on your fuel tank, just follow the fuel vent hose down to a low spot and cut it, plug the end not attached to the tank...
But first, try to run the bike with the fuel cap loose or off to see if that resolves your running issue..

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by casualemt; May 31st, 2014 at 4:18 pm. Reason: clairify
post #40 of 56 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Ok, tried loosening the gas cap and starting. Didn't do a thing. Smoke is pouring out of the exhaust on start. It started after adding Sea Foam and went away as soon as the engine was warm. I don't know if it still goes away because the bike won't stay started.

I'm at a loss. I hope the rings aren't blown or something. I have pretty low fuel in the bike right now for ease of removing the tank if I need to. I guess I'm going to have to just dig in today and do it, but I'm really scared that it's more than just a fuel filter and submersible fuel line with all the smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm going to disconnect the charcoal tank as well so it will just be done.

If this doesn't fix my issues, I live between Chicago and Michigan right along the lake. I have access to an enclosed bike trailer if anyone knows someone who works on these bikes within 100 miles of me and will look at it for less than BMW, please let me know. You're talking to a guy who can take apart a Harley and with help get it back together, but I can't change the stupid string in a weed eater. LOL (It's hard!!)

Anyway, I'm heading to the garage to start on the tupperware in a little bit. If this doesn't work and I can't find help, my riding season's over. You guys are great and I appreciate all the help so far. Time to get dirty.
post #41 of 56 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 9:11 am

Quote:
Ok, tried loosening the gas cap and starting. Didn't do a thing. Smoke is pouring out of the exhaust on start. It started after adding Sea Foam and went away as soon as the engine was warm. I don't know if it still goes away because the bike won't stay started.

I'm at a loss. I hope the rings aren't blown or something. I have pretty low fuel in the bike right now for ease of removing the tank if I need to. I guess I'm going to have to just dig in today and do it, but I'm really scared that it's more than just a fuel filter and submersible fuel line with all the smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm going to disconnect the charcoal tank as well so it will just be done.

If this doesn't fix my issues, I live between Chicago and Michigan right along the lake. I have access to an enclosed bike trailer if anyone knows someone who works on these bikes within 100 miles of me and will look at it for less than BMW, please let me know. You're talking to a guy who can take apart a Harley and with help get it back together, but I can't change the stupid string in a weed eater. LOL (It's hard!!)

Anyway, I'm heading to the garage to start on the tupperware in a little bit. If this doesn't work and I can't find help, my riding season's over. You guys are great and I appreciate all the help so far. Time to get dirty.
if you park the LT on the side stand it WILL smoke. Normal.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #42 of 56 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, not this kind of smoke. 30 seconds on idle and the whole neighborhood was thinking of calling the fire department.

So, finally I got up the guts to try it and well.....success! Suck it BMW!! I removed everything and got the tank out. When I pulled everything, the little straight hose going to the filter was split right up the middle over an inch long. I held my elation until later however. Problem is that I only bought the submersible hose with the bend in it like everyone told me to look for. That piece was perfect. I didn't have a replacement for the other hose, so I just used one of the sections that came with the fuel filter. I know I"m going to have to do it again now, but it's all I had and none of the auto parts stores had one. I should make it to winter now though.

While in there I changed the fuel filter, air filter (K&N), hoses, and I pulled the plastic quick connects off and replaced them as well. I had no idea there were two lines and only had one quick connect replacement, so I went to an auto parts store and got a double male with some screw type clamps and did one line that way. It might be slightly more difficult to work on later, but it's metal and won't break on the road now.

I understood about the charcoal canister, but I didn't understand which exact line to cut and plug so I left it alone for now and will be careful about filling until I get back in there and do it at a later date.

I really wanted to flush the coolant and brakes today as well, but I ran out of time and after a few weeks without a ride, I was just ready to fix what was broken and worry about the rest later.

That said, the bike is running and sounding great! Still have the alternating brake failure and abs lights blinking and I didn't pull out the gas gauge stuff on the tank either. After years of riding without a gauge, I think I can handle the trip meter method for a while longer.

Thanks all. Appreciate all the advice. It took 9 hours in over 90 degree heat in my driveway, but it's running and I didn't have to pay a thousand bucks. That's a "win" in my book.

Go Blackhawks!

2004 K1200LT - Doesn't run!
post #43 of 56 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 7:45 pm

I love a good outcome! Cheers!
post #44 of 56 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 8:58 pm

Quote:

Replacing all the various fluids for $1K is nonsense and a waste of your money (ex. the brake fluid or final drive fluid have nothing to do with the engine). It is possible the injectors and fuel system is dirty. But, cleaning the fuel system and injectors shouldn't cost you a grand.

Smith
post #45 of 56 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 9:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, not this kind of smoke. 30 seconds on idle and the whole neighborhood was thinking of calling the fire department.

So, finally I got up the guts to try it and well.....success! Suck it BMW!! I removed everything and got the tank out. When I pulled everything, the little straight hose going to the filter was split right up the middle over an inch long. I held my elation until later however. Problem is that I only bought the submersible hose with the bend in it like everyone told me to look for. That piece was perfect. I didn't have a replacement for the other hose, so I just used one of the sections that came with the fuel filter. I know I"m going to have to do it again now, but it's all I had and none of the auto parts stores had one. I should make it to winter now though.

While in there I changed the fuel filter, air filter (K&N), hoses, and I pulled the plastic quick connects off and replaced them as well. I had no idea there were two lines and only had one quick connect replacement, so I went to an auto parts store and got a double male with some screw type clamps and did one line that way. It might be slightly more difficult to work on later, but it's metal and won't break on the road now.

I understood about the charcoal canister, but I didn't understand which exact line to cut and plug so I left it alone for now and will be careful about filling until I get back in there and do it at a later date.

I really wanted to flush the coolant and brakes today as well, but I ran out of time and after a few weeks without a ride, I was just ready to fix what was broken and worry about the rest later.

That said, the bike is running and sounding great! Still have the alternating brake failure and abs lights blinking and I didn't pull out the gas gauge stuff on the tank either. After years of riding without a gauge, I think I can handle the trip meter method for a while longer.

Thanks all. Appreciate all the advice. It took 9 hours in over 90 degree heat in my driveway, but it's running and I didn't have to pay a thousand bucks. That's a "win" in my book.

Go Blackhawks!
Sounds like a win. I am hoping you meant you changed out the K&N and put in an OEM paper filter. K&N are not a good choice for street use if you want long engine life.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #46 of 56 Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Sounds like a win. I am hoping you meant you changed out the K&N and put in an OEM paper filter. K&N are not a good choice for street use if you want long engine life.
I didn't know that. I've had great luck with K&N in the past on all my other vehicles both cars and bikes. Besides, the University of Chicago Hospitals gave me 5 years to live and that was a year and a half ago. If it makes it 4 more years I'll be happy.

I'll ask anyway, why would a K&N reduce engine life?

2004 K1200LT - Doesn't run!
post #47 of 56 Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 4:22 pm

They say because of the high flow rate of those filters to much crap can pass through them if you don't maintain them..cleaning them and oiling them up.
Hey,I hope you prove the docs wrong for many,many years. Cheers!
post #48 of 56 Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 7:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I didn't know that. I've had great luck with K&N in the past on all my other vehicles both cars and bikes. Besides, the University of Chicago Hospitals gave me 5 years to live and that was a year and a half ago. If it makes it 4 more years I'll be happy.

I'll ask anyway, why would a K&N reduce engine life?
They don't filter as well as modern paper filters. Also, if they are oiled too heavily, the oil can wreak havoc with the FI and sensors.

I am not sure I can find it now, but I saw a very extensive test several years ago of truck filters and the K&N was the poorest for fine dirt by a long shot and it wasn't even the best flowing filter.

I am sure in the short-term you won't notice any difference, unless you get it too heavily oiled or ride in very dusty conditions. Long-term, who knows? I just never wanted to take the risk.

I did find it...
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

And this one also that is a little less scientific, but a pretty good "real world" comparison.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jun 2nd, 2014 at 7:50 pm. Reason: Added url
post #49 of 56 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 3:05 am

If your bike sat for any length of time you will need to drain and clean the fuel tank. I recently bought a K1200LT which had sat in storage for several years. The fuel turns to varnish.

Easiest way to clean it is to pull the tank off bike. Remove the fuel pump/filter and any rubber gaskets. Dump out the old fuel. Put about a gallon of E85 gas in the tank and slosh it around. It will strip the varnish. It will also turn any rubber gaskets to goo. Believe me I learned the hard way.

Dump out the E85, reassemble the tank, fill it with premium and drive it. After you use up that tank of gas, change the fuel filer since it probably trapped some of the trash from the cleaning.

Another serious thing to consider is your brake lines. It is recommended you replace them every 4 years. I put a set of Speigler brake lines on mine. Lifetime warranty so ends up cheaper over time.

Monitor the bike for leaks. Some of the seals may have dried out and may need to be replaced.

You got yourself a great bike. Your in the right place for info on how to fix it.

Good luck,

Pawkee

2000 K1200LT (hybrid)
post #50 of 56 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 6:20 pm

Quote:

Go Blackhawks!

Very happy for you!! Now get yer AZZ out there and do some riding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in