Radio flickering - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Radio won't turn on - Short?

Hey Guys,
Sorry to start a new thread on this, but I can't find the info I'm looking for with a search and I'm leaving in the AM.
I just got my bike back from the dealer about 30 mins ago, the Quick Disconnect (Fuel) on the right side was leaking after a service I had done two weeks ago (so I wouldn't get caught last minute for my trip ) The dealer has gone out of his way to rectify, came to my house and picked up the bike and brought it back 24 hours later. They replaced my rear rotor that sounded like I was dragging pots and pans behind me, replaced the QD and checked the bike over for a reoccurring ABS fault.
NOW, here's the problem. I just unloaded the bike and wheeled it into the garage, and figured I turn on the radio while I start getting my things together... The radio is flickering with the key in the "R" position and with the key in the "ON" position. It will turn off with the key in the "OFF" position. The radio will NOT turn on however, just the lights in the radio. There is something showing up in the LED display that looks like a small letter "d" with two square boxes that appear to be have lines going through them sort of like a letter "X" only more lines. I called the dealer immediately and they tell me they never touched the radio, it's not their fault, must be something I'm doing, the "code" needs to be input for the radio (? I thought the codes where for the alarm?) and the code is in my owners manual. I just went through the manual and I don't see anything referenced for codes in the radio.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with here?
I can really use the help ASAP as I'm leaving tomorrow and a radio would be nice for the trip.

Thanks to all!

Kevin

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Last edited by KMC1; Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:55 pm. Reason: No responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Bump

I haven't been able to figure it out. I'm going to try putting in a new battery to see if that's the problem although I can't imagine why it would be. I use a battery tender all the time. I think it's somehow related to the service that was done today, but can't figure out how.
Heeeeelppppp!

post #3 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Have you tried the " disconnect the battery" for an hour and re-hook up? It forces a "hard boot" of the radio control system. Worth a shot.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Hi John,
Thank you for the advice. I wasn't aware of the reboot feature. It's funny, I changed out the battery for a new one and while I was in there I was fooling around with zip-tying some loose wires so had the battery disconnected for about 30 mins or so.
Now instead of the lights in it flickering, there's nothing except the "ON" button that lights up and only with the bike running at that. Pushing the ON button won't do anything though, but something was changed by having the battery off.
I'm going to pull the ground lead for the night before I go to bed and in the morning will reconnect it and see if that cures it. Otherwise looks like a long 10 days of no radio for me. What really bothers me is that I was so proactive in getting the bike worked on 2 weeks ago for a tune up, new tire, fluid change etc. and then at the last minute I got whammied by something that just always works.... Argh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in