Aux lights and mounting options? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 8th, 2014, 2:38 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChasnRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK, US
Posts: 213
Question Aux lights and mounting options?

I have been looking at getting a set of driving lights. I like the mounting options of the Motolights on the calipers. Due to my JPegs, under the wings is not an option (that I know of). I know the PIAA's mount in the cowling, but I have never been a big fan of that location. I think the triangle light pattern gives better visibility, but that is just me.
So, are there any other options for mounting lights on the LT in the lower positions? I like the idea of some of the LEDs out on the market, but looks like they all would have to use the BMR under mirror mounts. sigh
Thoughts?
If I decide on the Motolights, where is the best place to purchase them from? Thanks!

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChasnRacin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old May 8th, 2014, 2:46 pm
Senior Member
 
blueknightga6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Acworth, GA, USA
Posts: 1,176
Re: Aux lights and mounting options?

It depends on what you're interested in. Are you interested in using the lights for SEEING down the road at night or are you interested IN BEING SEEN?

I put LED replacements in my Moto Lites. I've been told that in the daytime and night they make me very visible, which is what I wanted. But seeing down the road they're pretty useless, as were the stock motos too.

When I was having a problem with my Moto Lights wiring I considered a set of these from Hyperlites and getting the fork mounting plates: http://www.hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueknightga6 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old May 8th, 2014, 3:20 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Shelton, CT, USA
Posts: 2,341
Re: Aux lights and mounting options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin View Post
I like the mounting options of the Motolights on the calipers.

So, are there any other options for mounting lights on the LT in the lower positions? I like the idea of some of the LEDs out on the market, but looks like they all would have to use the BMR under mirror mounts. sigh
Thoughts?
If I decide on the Motolights, where is the best place to purchase them from? Thanks!
If I can offer some suggestions to your question about MotoLights...

I have MotoLights caliper mounted and I think dollar for dollar they are a good investment. I converted mine to LED with simply swapping to the halogen bulb for a 7w LED (spotlight with a 15 degree pattern) bulb off the internet.. A 3.1K temp $5 internet deal. The white light offset from the HIDs I have in the headlamps makes a statement, day or night.

If I were to get another set I would buy the fork mounted MotoLights because every time you change the tire you need to readjust the lights. It is a pain because to get the most effective pattern from a LED spotlight it needs to be positioned with a normal load (including you sitting on the seat) with the kickstand up....

I also use the BMR under the mirror brackets for some other lights I converted to HIDs and I think that is too high for constant on lights. You need to be concerned with blinding on coming traffic if you don't live in a remote location. Don't get me wrong on my next bike I will use the variable LEDs as supplemental lighting instead of the converted one I know have. They are awesome, however if you get flashed by oncoming traffic they are doing more damage than good..

I believe that the MotoLight triangle positioning with the headlight is the most 'different' and therefore the most noticeable light pattern.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
jackd is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old May 8th, 2014, 4:51 pm
Senior Member
 
pkpr1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ringgold, GA, USA
Posts: 3,699
Re: Aux lights and mounting options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
If I can offer some suggestions to your question about MotoLights...

I have MotoLights caliper mounted and I think dollar for dollar they are a good investment. I converted mine to LED with simply swapping to the halogen bulb for a 7w LED (spotlight with a 15 degree pattern) bulb off the internet.. A 3.1K temp $5 internet deal. The white light offset from the HIDs I have in the headlamps makes a statement, day or night.

If I were to get another set I would buy the fork mounted MotoLights because every time you change the tire you need to readjust the lights. It is a pain because to get the most effective pattern from a LED spotlight it needs to be positioned with a normal load (including you sitting on the seat) with the kickstand up....

I also use the BMR under the mirror brackets for some other lights I converted to HIDs and I think that is too high for constant on lights. You need to be concerned with blinding on coming traffic if you don't live in a remote location. Don't get me wrong on my next bike I will use the variable LEDs as supplemental lighting instead of the converted one I know have. They are awesome, however if you get flashed by oncoming traffic they are doing more damage than good..

I believe that the MotoLight triangle positioning with the headlight is the most 'different' and therefore the most noticeable light pattern.
I had my MotoLights caliper-mounted and I marked the spot with a sharpie so they would not get out of line. I also changed over the 35W bulbs and went with the LED's. I also changed out my low beam to HID and was a big help in seing and being seen. Now if money is no object, you can also buy the Clearwater Lights and have them mounted just below the mirrors, if you go with the Krista's you can be seen from Heaven!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pkpr1998 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old May 9th, 2014, 12:39 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChasnRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK, US
Posts: 213
Re: Aux lights and mounting options?

Thanks for all of the replies. I am primarily using them for BEING seen. Riding season up here in AK means 18+ hours of daylight, so I don't do much nighttime riding. Maybe I'll think seriously about the Motolights and switch them over to LED.
Any leads on the best place to purchase a set?
Thanks again.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChasnRacin is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old May 9th, 2014, 11:29 am
Senior Member
 
blueknightga6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Acworth, GA, USA
Posts: 1,176
Re: Aux lights and mounting options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I am primarily using them for BEING seen. Riding season up here in AK means 18+ hours of daylight, so I don't do much nighttime riding. Maybe I'll think seriously about the Motolights and switch them over to LED.
Any leads on the best place to purchase a set?
Thanks again.
I'll tell you this about converting to LED. You can purchase the LED bulbs for a lot less at a home improvement or hardware store. Let's just say that Moto Lights is quite proud of their LED bulbs. I got my LED from a link here, I believe it was Deal Extreme. For under $20 I got both bulbs which included shipping from China and they took just over a week to get here.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueknightga6 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old May 10th, 2014, 9:25 am
Senior Member
 
rowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: An hour southwest of Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 476
Re: Aux lights and mounting options?

I have small halogen driving lights that I got from Walmart that aven had the gold-brown color of the lower Tupperware on it. They mounted into the Tupperware below and forward of the tip over bars and are clear of my Mick-O-Pegs. They work very well. They take an H3 halogen bulb. I'm thinking of getting some H3 LEDs but haven't done it yet. With my HID (5000k 55W) and the driving lights I'm told that I am easily seen from the front.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
rowie is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old May 10th, 2014, 11:33 am
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,387
Re: Aux lights and mounting options?

You can mount Motolights under the front fairing. I got them fork mounted. I really love them.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
james216 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aux lights: Fender mount or under-mirror? four12 RT Series 71 May 15th, 2014 7:01 am
Mounting PIAA 1100 lights ndmunro K1200LT 10 Jan 24th, 2008 11:15 pm
Hella FF50 Driving Lights installed unleashd Lighting 22 Aug 21st, 2006 3:11 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome