Its been a while - time to fix the clutch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 7th, 2014, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Its been a while - time to fix the clutch

At least seven years ago I was on a trip out west and the clutch on my '99 LT went. I nursed it home without a clutch - pretty amazing considering it happened in Ohio and I had to get to Long Island.

Life got in the way and the bike has just sat since then, but now its time to fix it. From a fading memory, the problem started with a slipping clutch in 5th and quickly got worse until one morning I pulling in the clutch and with no resistance it went right to the handlebar.

My initial thought, without looking over the bike, is that the slave cylinder failed and sent DOT 4 along the rod and all over the clutch. Are there other possibilities besides a failed line? Where else should I be looking? I'm searching for and reading everything I can on the slave cylinder and clutch replacement.

Since I'm going to be into this bike up to my armpits, I am thinking about putting on Spiegler brake lines - does someone make a set of stainless lines for the clutch?

Thanks,
Bruce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 7th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Re: Its been a while - time to fix the clutch

I would say your diagnosis is spot on; failed slave and oiled clutch plate. You don't say how many miles are on the bike but, since you're going to be in it that far, and given the fact that it has not run for quite a while, change all of the seals in the tranny and the rear main.

As I'm sure you have discovered, there is a lot of great information here to help you with the job.

GB

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old May 7th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I had a similar experience, but I made it Dallas to L.A. and back a couple times with a slipping clutch. Mine was from a slightly weepy main seal that let oil onto the friction material. I changed the slave just the same.

If you talk to Spiegler, you may find that they either have a clutch line set, or can fabricate a set from your existing clutch lines.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 6 Old May 7th, 2014, 10:34 pm

? Advantage of Spiegler clutch?
TNX
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 6 Old May 8th, 2014, 6:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa View Post
? Advantage of Spiegler clutch?
TNX
Bob
Not really sure if there would be a great advantage. But if the lines need to be replaced, why not?
post #6 of 6 Old May 8th, 2014, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211 View Post
I had a similar experience, but I made it Dallas to L.A. and back a couple times with a slipping clutch. Mine was from a slightly weepy main seal that let oil onto the friction material. I changed the slave just the same.

If you talk to Spiegler, you may find that they either have a clutch line set, or can fabricate a set from your existing clutch lines.
I put in a request to Spiegler at about the same time I posted the first message in this thread. Just got an answer back that they no longer make these lines because they had trouble sourcing one of the fittings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in