Help convince me please !!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

Help convince me please !!!!!

Hello all, I am new to this forum, and not yet a Beemer owner, but rode my dad's R100RT back in the day. Help me to realize that an '05 or '06 K1200LTwould be better than say an ST1300 for a 52 year ol' fart like me ?!
I am shopping for my next bike, and have always liked the LT since inception - rode one in 99, but bought a 00 Concours due to a limited budget at the time. Well, I still have a cash budget ( I'm totally debt free or would be signing the papers on a new K1600GTL So I am not swayed by the possible maintenance nightmares, and I do my own wrenching as well. My deciding factors are dependability, comfort, and yes, style. The ST's seem to be bulletproof, so why is a K1200LT better ?! Thanks for all input from you, the most experienced owners.

Previous bikes:
1983 Goldwing, 00 Connie, 01 Valkyrie, 08 FJR1300, 06 Vulcan V2K, & a sweet '55 Ariel Square Four (my dad's) All regretfully gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Re: Help convince me please !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
Hello all, I am new to this forum, and not yet a Beemer owner, but rode my dad's R100RT back in the day. Help me to realize that an '05 or '06 K1200LTwould be better than say an ST1300 for a 52 year ol' fart like me ?!
I am shopping for my next bike, and have always liked the LT since inception - rode one in 99, but bought a 00 Concours due to a limited budget at the time. Well, I still have a cash budget ( I'm totally debt free or would be signing the papers on a new K1600GTL So I am not swayed by the possible maintenance nightmares, and I do my own wrenching as well. My deciding factors are dependability, comfort, and yes, style. The ST's seem to be bulletproof, so why is a K1200LT better ?! Thanks for all input from you, the most experienced owners.

Previous bikes:
1983 Goldwing, 00 Connie, 01 Valkyrie, 08 FJR1300, 06 Vulcan V2K, & a sweet '55 Ariel Square Four (my dad's) All regretfully gone

The k1200lt simply rocks as a two up bike.
If I was going to tour a lot one up I don't think it's the best choice,but for two up..yes!
I have had wings and what not..a Voyager for 12 years before this lt and those others are nowhere as much fun!
Took me awhile to get used to the turn signals and the fact that the front don't dive at all under normal stops..that is weird.
It's really not that hard to service once you start messing with it.
Well somethings are...but it's worth it! Cheers!
post #3 of 30 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:51 pm

If you are riding one up most of the time you may want to consider the R1200RT. Very easy to work on and with the new wet head coming out lots of good used hexhead/cam heads are on the market. Since you have owned both the Connie and the fujjer you may just love the RT. I know I do and I'm a 49 year old fart.

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"

post #4 of 30 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1955 View Post
---------------- the fact that the front don't dive at all under normal stops..that is weird.
But in a VERY GOOD way! That is one of the things I loved about the telelever front suspension. After putting 120,000 miles on LT's, I would hate a bike that dived on braking.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 30 Old May 6th, 2014, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The Honda offers one on every corner service centers and great dependability. You want to get on it and ride, it's a great bike if your back and ass will tolerate it.

The LT has a sparse dealer network, ABS, CD, Cruise, Excellent wind/rain protection, all day comfort (with the right seat), electric windshield/center stand, and this.... right here, the most helpful, knowledgeable group of individuals you'll ever find. It's very costly to work on if you don't do things yourself. It's the best bike I've ever ridden, as far as the riding goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 Old May 6th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
But in a VERY GOOD way! That is one of the things I loved about the telelever front suspension. After putting 120,000 miles on LT's, I would hate a bike that dived on braking.
Oh I concur..just took awhile to get used to it,now I be lovin' it!
Also the wife sleeps on the back of this bike sometimes..never did on any of the others..that must say something..lol.
She likes the windshield up and I want it down to look cooler..that's about the only thing we disagree about when it comes to ridding the bike..course she always wins!
post #7 of 30 Old May 6th, 2014, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys ! I realize it's like I'm comparing apples to oranges - the LT does mean Luxo-Tourer and I know all the goodies like cruise control are nice; the ST is a Sport Tourer and won't be as comfy on long rides.
My main riding will be a 50 mile round trip commute to work; some w/e jaunts of 100 - 200 miles; and maybe a few long distance trips. The wife doesn't ride much anymore; I would prob'ly remove the LT's trunk and get a Corbin smuggler. I will be test riding a few bikes this week.....keep u posted. Tks
post #8 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 12:14 am

If you are looking to remove the trunk get another bike, like the RT. With the K12000LT you might as well keep the storage and the visibility the trunk brings. the side bags don't even hold a helmet.
post #9 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 3:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis1 View Post
If you are looking to remove the trunk get another bike, like the RT. With the K12000LT you might as well keep the storage and the visibility the trunk brings. the side bags don't even hold a helmet.
The helmets you can't fit into the side bags must be huge or you are not putting them in the same way I do. I keep my wife's Shoei Neotec in the left bag all of the time (it also has a side bracket mounted for a Scala G9, making it wider than stock). The only time it's not in there is on those rare occasions she is wearing it, or I'm touring solo long distance. In addition, the top case can actually hold both of our helmets.
post #10 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 7:37 am

You sound like myself, do my own wrenching, had a 81 Wing, which was very nice, but I now own my First BMW, a '08 LT with 10,000 miles.

Just cant beleive I have not had one in the past, as finances didn not allow then.

This machine is to me, the ultimate tourer, has all the features that work very well.

When you are alone, or by yourself, it is awsome, ecspecially when the road turns curvy, and yes, it is heavy, but you would never notice until you encounter slow speed manuvers. I wish you good luck in your decision!!

I am a 51 year (not old) fart. Regards, Donn
post #11 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 10:05 am

Quote:
If you are looking to remove the trunk get another bike, like the RT. With the K12000LT you might as well keep the storage and the visibility the trunk brings.
Agree!

Quote:
the side bags don't even hold a helmet.
Disagree!

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #12 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Quote:

Previous bikes:
Being a really old fart at 67, I would recommend the 1200LT hands down to other bikes for an all day bike. I have been riding since I was 14 and have owned a lot of different bikes including Honda Goldwings, Harley Ultra Classics etc. The LT is by far the best bike I have ever owned. If you do your own wrenching, the decision is a no brainer. Good luck with your decision.
post #13 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Hello from over the pond! Some thoughts on your dilemma. Own a K1200LT with linked brakes, had a 99 LT with the original ABS which, if it failed, still left you with full braking and also have an 05 GS1200 BMW. Key to me was passenger comfort. My wife loves both especially the heated seats and footboards. GS can carry far more luggage in the panniers, Givi E55 top box, tank bag etc. K12 has less capacity or ability to increase capacity. Summer tour to Spain may show thus as an issue. As regards span nearing, again, the GS is far easier both in terms of time and general requirements. However, to date I have only performed basic stuff - plugs, oils, filters, valves, changing brake fluids and pads etc. The K is not hard, it just takes a while to get AT what you need - I.e fuel filter requires bodywork off, rank off etc etc.

However, there is something about gently wafting along on a K - screen up, visor up watching the world go by, knowing and feeling you are sat on a luxury bike with ample power, handling better than you would expect a bike that size to have with good looks (well I think so) and that feeling of quality I feel oozes from every pore! Worries? Well I dread the ABS going but hey, if it happens......

Good luck....Buy a K!!!!!

Bob
post #14 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 6:09 pm

I bought a an 04 LT 2+ years ago. I came from first bike.A Honda CB 650. I bought a Suzuki VL1500 Intruder LC brand new in 99 which I still have. It's a great bike.With my wife going with me more often. I tried to make the LC an all purpose bike. I can do long trips on it solo. But 2 up it's limited. I love the LT for 2 up and solo. Some may say it's a bit much for 2 up. But I have no problem solo. But it's on the open freeway at speed where it really shines. And not bad in twisties either. A very comfortable bike..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #15 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Hello fellow ex-Dragon rider... I am still a VRCC member and loved riding my Valkyrie too but trust me nothing beats riding an LT...

Where are you going to be riding?

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
--------------------------
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
post #16 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 7:35 pm
SEG

The LT is a great, comfortable commuter. I use it for a 65 mile round trip commute. You'll have great protection from the elements in the winter and loads of storage space. Add a BMR flatbed rack and you can hold 6 cubic feet of gear/goods, beyond what the side/top cases hold--I use the LT for shopping at COSTCO. And for long distance touring, it's a fun and comfortable ride. You'll find complaints about the LT for sure, but there's a reason why the forum has so many LT enthusiasts.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #17 of 30 Old May 7th, 2014, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJDavis View Post
Hello fellow ex-Dragon rider...
Where are you going to be riding?
Any type of long distance from home (Dallas) is gonna be to find some twisties! Already been to TX Hill Country, so maybe the Ozarks, the Smokies or Colorado. The Inzane Rally (Valkyries) is in Asheville, NC next month; that would be close to Deals' Gap too !
I have found an 05 K1200LT with 34k miles at a good price ($7k); the final drive was replaced by BMW mechanic at 31k, but the 600 mile recommended drain & fill gear oil was not done What has it hurt to keep that 80w-90 in it for 3000 miles? My Hondas were not so sensitive to exact scheduled maintenance !!!! I know an LT is my dream bike, but I think I hear another Valky or ST1300 calling me like a siren on a deserted island !
post #18 of 30 Old May 8th, 2014, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
The helmets you can't fit into the side bags must be huge or you are not putting them in the same way I do. I keep my wife's Shoei Neotec in the left bag all of the time (it also has a side bracket mounted for a Scala G9, making it wider than stock). The only time it's not in there is on those rare occasions she is wearing it, or I'm touring solo long distance. In addition, the top case can actually hold both of our helmets.
I have to wonder if you, and your wife are pygmys? :-) of course I have been called melon head more than once in my lifetime.
post #19 of 30 Old May 8th, 2014, 10:22 am

Quote:
Any type of long distance from home (Dallas) is gonna be to find some twisties! Already been to TX Hill Country, so maybe the Ozarks, the Smokies or Colorado. The Inzane Rally (Valkyries) is in Asheville, NC next month; that would be close to Deals' Gap too !
I have found an 05 K1200LT with 34k miles at a good price ($7k); the final drive was replaced by BMW mechanic at 31k, but the 600 mile recommended drain & fill gear oil was not done What has it hurt to keep that 80w-90 in it for 3000 miles? My Hondas were not so sensitive to exact scheduled maintenance !!!! I know an LT is my dream bike, but I think I hear another Valky or ST1300 calling me like a siren on a deserted island !
I know a lot/most follow the reccomended maintenance schedule but these things are built like cars I have treated them exactly like my standard tranny cars, same oil and filter intervals, check the valves every few years, fix the rare problem when necessary - they have all been reliable and fun to drive.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #20 of 30 Old May 18th, 2014, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Update !! Pulled the trigger on a LT !!!!

Well, after much comparing, test rides, making offers, wife approval, and, yes, even praying, I now have a 99 K1200 LT in the garage. Just did a little 100 mile jaunt thru some Texas backroads and, boy, do I like it !!!
Beats the Valkys, Wings, FJR, ST's, & of course the Harleys hands down. The only other bike that had a chance was a Victory Vision Tour, but at double the cost of this 99, it was a no brainer. And that means more shopping for farkles; I already removed the trunk and will be fabricating a rack for back there.
Ordered a 16" CeeBailey Sport shield and will decide on a Corbin asap. After I get a service manual, I'll tear into the Tupperware and replace plugs, filters, etc.
One question, if it's best to leave these "flying bricks' on the center stand, then why do you check the oil level on the side stand ?!!

Ride safe and watch the idiots!
post #21 of 30 Old May 19th, 2014, 7:01 am

Welcome and good choice. You can find a free download of the service manual on line just search.If I'm not mistaken you check the oil on the center stand.

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #22 of 30 Old May 19th, 2014, 7:29 am

Yep you check the oil on the centerstand. If its on the side stand all of the oil goes to the valves and you dont get an accurate reading in the sight glass. I just did my first oil change myself on my 05 and was really easy. There are alot of youtube vids from the illinios bmw club that show how to do alot of maintenance that are really helpful.
post #23 of 30 Old May 19th, 2014, 10:26 am

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club! It really is a fun bike to ride.

2003 KTM 525EXC
2006 KTM 300 XCW
2011 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #24 of 30 Old May 23rd, 2014, 9:44 pm

Not to be a killjoy, but seems odd you would buy a bike like the LT...Luxury Touring...and start taking stuff off of it, and changing things around before you spend some time on it as the BMW engineers designed, built, and sold it, and thousands of riders use it in its stock configuration...To me the LT is a complete package, farkles a plenty, lots of storage, comfy seat, did I mention plenty of storage? and if you are planning any 2 up riding, why remove the back rest, two speakers, a vanity mirror and light, passenger music system controls???
I know, it is your bike to do as you wish, but I usually like to experience what the designers/engineers had in mind before I start changing things..
sorry, that was more like 3 cents worth

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #25 of 30 Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTelco View Post
Welcome and good choice. You can find a free download of the service manual on line just search.If I'm not mistaken you check the oil on the center stand.
Yea...like right here....http://www.carlsalter.com/pdfs/BMW_K...air_Manual.pdf

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.
post #26 of 30 Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

To each his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
Not to be a killjoy, but seems odd you would buy a bike like the LT...Luxury Touring...and start taking stuff off of it, and changing things around before you spend some time on it as the BMW engineers designed, built, and sold it, and thousands of riders use it in its stock configuration...To me the LT is a complete package, farkles a plenty, lots of storage, comfy seat, did I mention plenty of storage? and if you are planning any 2 up riding, why remove the back rest, two speakers, a vanity mirror and light, passenger music system controls???
I know, it is your bike to do as you wish, but I usually like to experience what the designers/engineers had in mind before I start changing things..
sorry, that was more like 3 cents worth
Hey Rich, not a killjoy, no problem expressing your opinion and riding experience; here's my deal buying an LT...... I had a $10k budget and approval from the missus to buy whatever I wanted. Well, 10 k won't get much in a new bike, but I did look at some. I have been riding Jap bikes for 35 years; rode 'em, wrecked 'em, wrenched on 'em and loved setting them up for my riding style. My Dad rode Beemers and Brit bikes and an ST1100. I test rode an LT in 99 or 00, and rode another one with a Corbin seat setup recently. I came super close to buying a nice ST1300, but wanted that "girl" I've never had The bike sitting in my shop was 1/2 of my budget, so now I have a few grand to spend on changes and farkles. No way can I NOT spend the dinero that my better half approved !!! I would have loved to find an 05 or newer model already set up the way I like, but found this 99 not barely 10 minutes from my house. 2nd owner, all BMW maint. records, but needs some TLC. As of tonight, I mounted a new front tire, some new Brembo front pads($180 ouch), and checked fluids for a little ride tomorrow. The trunk comes off in about 5 minutes and I mostly ride solo, but easy to reinstall when she wants to go with me. Yea, Beemer engineers set it up nicely, but I am an aircraft mech and just can't resist doing mods and fabrications. So, to each his own and many happy safe miles in the saddle, whether it's stock or a Corbin or whatever. "Watch the idiots" ( my Dad's fave phrase)
post #27 of 30 Old May 24th, 2014, 4:17 am

Don't be put off by any "issues" you may read about on the LT.....find a bike without any issues at all and we'll all buy one!
I've just bought LT number 12 after selling my last bike (a triumph rocket) and its like coming home....soo comfortable and it feels just so "right"
Incidentally, getting off the rocket onto the LT makes the LT feel "small" ......who would have thought it?

Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #28 of 30 Old May 25th, 2014, 10:32 am

Quote:
I can fit a BMW helmet into each side bag. Or 2 in the top box (trunk).

Buy the helmet designed for the bike.
post #29 of 30 Old May 25th, 2014, 12:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbler View Post
I can fit a BMW helmet into each side bag. Or 2 in the top box (trunk).

Buy the helmet designed for the bike.
I buy helmets designed for my head, not the bike.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #30 of 30 Old May 26th, 2014, 12:41 pm

I love my LT, it is the perfect commute bike. when I get there there is room for everything and when it decided to rain or what ever while im at work it has the weather protection to get me home. I have rode her from 20 to 120 deg on everything from wow straight road corn tunnels to the dragon nd hills and curves of WV and she is always comfortable and sure footed. Once you figure out how to take the plastic off and on she isnt that hard to work on and its amazing how often you have to take it all off to do those 12000 mile services. The only real problem I have with owning her is getting tires. with only a few companies making tires for her, they are not as readily available as regular normal weight bikes. they are so well designed and laid out that any time you ride another bike everything seems to be in wrong place.
And you have to say when you see them "WOW, She is a beaut Clark!"

It's not what you ride, it's where you ride to eat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in