New tires, valve adjust, spark plugs, - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 1:38 am Thread Starter

New tires, valve adjust, spark plugs,

After coming back from a 4000 miler the tires needed swapping out so I replaced the 880's with bias 020's. Before the new tires I read a post here on the forum about wobble and tried it with my 99 lt. There was a bunch of wobble at about 45. That's indicated with a corrected speedo. The front tire was worn and cupped. With the new tires no wobble at any speed up to sixty anyway. Tire pressures were 42/48 on both sets of tires. After a valve adjust I noticed something else interesting. On this forum some have reported engine vibration at 4500 rpm up to 5000 rpm, thereabouts. Now mine did buzz real good at those speeds. After the valve adjust the buzz didn't start till 4750 and dropped off just over 5000. And the buzz wasn't nearly as severe as before the valve adjust.
What this all tells me is that the wobble is more specific to tire wear than suspension. The buzz is perhaps not totally eliminated but certainly reduced with a valve adjust and I should mention new plugs. In this case the plugs are the NGK Iridiums. I suppose to do a true test of the buzz I should have just done the valves, checked it, then put in the new plugs, then checked again. In any case I guess you could say that regular maintenance and attention to the details will eliminate a lot of little annoyances.
Now as an aside that throws some of the initial wobble observation off I noted the front wheel tire rotation arrow was pointed in the wrong direction. Why in all that's BMW didn't I notice this before?? Well, I did but was told that it really didn't make that much difference. Really?? Then those engineers that design the tires are just messing with us? That was almost three years ago when the 880's were put on and the dealership charged me a healthy $60 for the privledge of letting them do the work. That's $60 per wheel. They were the only BMW dealership in the area so other than complain about the fee I had to go with it. When I had first contacted them I had asked them how much to mount and balance new tires and they said $60. I assumed they meant for both wheels which wouldn't have been that bad. And in case you're wondering I got just under 10,000 on the 880's with the last 4000 miles at higher than my normal speeds. Couldn't let that FJR make look bad. And the cost to mount and balance the new tires, $40 at a non BMW dealer.
As I rant on......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredjj
What this all tells me is that the wobble is more specific to tire wear than suspension.
I have been saying this for at least 2 years.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:37 am

How do you like the bias 020's on your 99'? I am running the radials but thought I might try the bias since supposedly they are a little beefier for the LT weight and aren't suppose to come apart.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochatley
How do you like the bias 020's on your 99'? I am running the radials but thought I might try the bias since supposedly they are a little beefier for the LT weight and aren't suppose to come apart.
I've only put about 50 miles on them so far so I really can't be too critical one way or the other. Every time I've put new tires on the bike it felt different than with the previous set of tires. That I am sure is due to old worn tires versus new any other kind of tire and not necessarily the type of tire.
But so far I have noticed a slight hesitance to roll into a turn but no problem once in. Going straight down the road it feels very stable. The stronger sidewalls perhaps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in