Suspension - tyres and comfort - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 5th, 2014, 4:42 am Thread Starter

Suspension - tyres and comfort

Hello everybody,

After 3 yars riding my 2006 K1200LT, I am still surprised by the stiffness of the rear suspension. When riding on a degraded road surface, it seems that I can feel every small defect of the tarmac.
I can live with that but my wife begins to complain.
Not wanting to change my wife I am wondering about the possible causes.
Could it be the rear tyre? The Metzeler M880 seems to be very hard when inflated at 3 bar (45 psi).
Could it be the rear shock absorber? The bike which has 80 thousand km is still fitted with the original item.
Anybody with the same feeling?
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Bruno

Bruno_C
K1200 LT 2006 85000km
Moto Guzzi Breva 750 2004
Triumph Bonneville 1972
Norton Commando 1976

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 5th, 2014, 8:03 am

Re: Suspension - tyres and comfort

Hello Bruno,

I would suggest you check the fluid level in the Rear Shock Pre-Load Adjuster under the seat. I would turn the knob CCW all the way out and ride to check that out. This takes all the pre-load Off the rear shock. Also I would then turn the knob CW in until I felt pressure in turning it.

If you don't get any pressure in turning it CW, that is an indication that the fluid in the Pre-Load reservoir is low or gone. There are several post on this forum in how to remove the Pre-Load unit and then to fill the adjuster with fresh oil. I have had to do that on my '99 a couple of times and it makes a world of difference.

If none of this helps at all, I would check my tire pressure. Most suggest on here to run 42 in the Front and then 48 in the rear. I actually find that to be a harsh ride going by myself and reduce that to 38/42. But when we take the trailer with the bike and ride two up, I do go back to the recommended settings of 42/48 for safety.

You might also check you tire pressure gauge against another one or two to be sure that is isn't giving you an error in your reading making you run too much tire pressure.

I hope this helps in some way. Take care.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old May 5th, 2014, 8:40 am

as Tom suggested check preload

the stock springs are very soft and collapse after a few years so either complete aftermarket shock/spring combo or as a quite a number of people have done put Hyperpro springs on the stock shock

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

post #4 of 6 Old May 5th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Think you'll find it is way past time for shock replacement especially if you've spent any time riding two up. The OEM shocks are in a word pretty light duty which would be fine if you weighed nothing. I replaced my 09 shocks after two years it's a completely new bike.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #5 of 6 Old May 6th, 2014, 3:32 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice.
My understanding of the preload systems is that they are supposed to prevent the bottoming and the reduction of the ground clearance when riding with passenger and heavy luggage. They do not act on damping and stiffness.
My feeling is different: I feel that the suspension does not react on small defects of the road surface. It is like if the damping was excessive.
I think I will have to go for a new shock absorber.

Thanks again

Bruno

Bruno_C
K1200 LT 2006 85000km
Moto Guzzi Breva 750 2004
Triumph Bonneville 1972
Norton Commando 1976

post #6 of 6 Old May 6th, 2014, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno_c View Post
Thank you for your advice.
My understanding of the preload systems is that they are supposed to prevent the bottoming and the reduction of the ground clearance when riding with passenger and heavy luggage. They do not act on damping and stiffness.
My feeling is different: I feel that the suspension does not react on small defects of the road surface. It is like if the damping was excessive.
I think I will have to go for a new shock absorber.

Thanks again

Bruno
If shock absorber worn out you will get bouncing, the shock controls rebound, it does not get firmer with wear, if your rear spring is still supporting the bike when loaded and not bottomed out perhaps the shock assy was changed by the PO, I have a much firmer ride with Hyperpro springs, aftermarket shock assemblies can be set up for individual ride preference.

have someone look at the rear shock when you are loaded and see where it is sitting, before you start buying a replacement

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in