Help With Purchase descion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Red face Help With Purchase descion

HI All,

Great forum and a lot of great folks. I've been lurking here for over a year and I figured it was time to jump in. I've been planning a 7500 trip for a couple of years. The last piece of the puzzle is the bike itself. Which I'm sure is somewhat subjective.

I've narrowed it down to 2 choices.
A dealer in WA. has 2 that I'm interested in. So the first of many questions would be what are the virtues and or downside from one bike to the next.

At twice the price I'm inclined toward the first one and have been approved, from a loan stand point. Although I doubt the financing on 2009 would be an issue. I really like the miles on the latter especially given the fact that I don't have the time to go thru everything before I leave. Not my preferred method but I have no choice.

This purchase will be my 43rd bike in my fifty years, so I have a bit of experience in working on them, first beemer though. I am also a Gas Gas trials bike dealer.
Anyway, at 50, I want/need comfort. Speed is of no concern... mostly. Just luxury. I cant ride my Buell without my arms going numb within 50 miles...

(errant question)
I'm not sure but the 03 does not have a hydraulic center stand, correct? Really wanted one of those...

Anyway comfort-wise, positives/ negatives?
Issues of the 2 in general?

Is 15K for a near new, 4 year old bike, a good deal? It seems so.
But so does 7500.00 for the 03 with only 2100 miles. Just a bit leery of one that's 11 years old. Not a lot miles though.
Hense my conundrum...

I'd have to have the 03 painted so there's an easy 1k added. Maybe tires as well, I have to check with the dealer. Anyway a list of pertinent questions would be great.

Decisions...
The first is:
Manufacturer BMW
Model Year 2003
Model K 1200 LT
Price $7,890.00 I got him down to $7500.00
Color Impala Brown Metallic
Miles 21047

The second is:
Manufacturer BMW
Model Year 2009
Model K 1200 LT
Price $14,690.00 Probably 14500...
Color Night Black
Miles 3874

I have a lot more questions but that would be after I defer to the opinions of the learned folks here.

Thanks for your time and input.
Best regards,
Jeff

Jeff Harkins
J.A. Harkins Custom Knives

2012 Gas Gas txt 300 pro
2006 Buell Firebolt
1973 Bultaco Sherpa T 350
2006 Yamaha FJ1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2014, 1:26 pm

Re: Help With Purchase descion

If my memory serves me, the electro-hydraulic centerstand comes on the 04 and up. The 04 and up also has more horsepower. I have and 06 and is a great machine. I do not think you can go wrong with the 09.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #3 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2014, 1:57 pm

I think the price on the '09 is on the high side. Might depend on your location which you do not indicate. Probably a good idea to let us on the forum know where you are located. It does make a difference with who you can get quick help from when you need it.

At the club breakfast this morning (Sat 5-3) I was told by a member who was to purchase an '09 in Mobile, AL that he (read his wife) had decided they didn't want to change from the K1300GT to the LT. He just shrugged his shoulders, but we most all are married and know the drill on that. Luckily I'm still on my first wife and so I still rule the roost over here with our 54th annivsary coming up May 9th.

That bike has about 18K as I remember the conversation and comes with a good deal of extras like hi dollar rear boards for the wife and also the armrest for same and also with Russel Day Long seat all around and of course they are heated.

He had gotten the gentleman down to $12,000 for cash.

Now I don't know where this bike is particularly, but could get you more information if you wanted. It's a private sale so no tax involved and I have absolutely no piece of any of this, but to say I think you can do a better deal than what you are starting to pay for a soon to be 6 year old bike. Granted they are wonderful and I'd not part with either of my LT's. I paid $12k for my 2007 last August, but it had about $4k in extras and just had the ABS replaced and a total service.

Good luck in your search and purchase.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #4 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2014, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I've got this weekend to figure it out so hopefully a common consensus is achieved by then. I can't seem to find a comparable 09 with under 4000 miles in that price range, but I'll keep searching, thanks Mr. Connell.

I've tried to edit my location and I've input my city and state but the drop down for location is inactive and only says:

"Location, ,"

At any rate I live in Conner Montana. There's not a lot of options around here. The dealership I'm working with is in Washington, so there's about 350 extra for shipping.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Jeff Harkins

2012 Gas Gas txt 300 pro
2006 Buell Firebolt
2006 Yamaha FJ1

post #5 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2014, 3:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome, Jeff! i believe the hydraulic center stands were first installed on the '05s. I bought my '07 in June '12 for $11,700 in the Los Angeles area. It has Navigation III system with GPS. If you are planning on a 7,500 mile trip on either bike, I would strongly recommend getting a new seat, or at least trying a longer local ride first to find out if your bottom can take the stock seat. I rode from LA to Yellowstone and back and my butt demanded another seat before I took any more longer distance trips. +1 for the RDL seat, but there may be other options out there that may meet your need(s) too. Good luck on your choice.
post #6 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2014, 4:45 pm

Yes, '05 US models forward has the power center stand.

The main advantage of the '09 is that it has newer parts. That '03 needs more than just paint. Unless you can verify that it was used and run every year you might be looking at seals drying and causing leak problems. If the brake lines have not been flushed properly and timely you may have caliper problems. The brake lines themselves should be replaced. Probably the shocks will need some attention.

Basically you may put in more money into the '03 getting it close to the '09 in reliability. The '03 feature list may not be up to the '09. Does the '09 have the HID headlight as standard? If the '03 has not been upgraded you will need to do that. Does the '09 have a COMM system... if it does and the '03 does not that might be $500 to get one working. The '09 may have a AUX in and that may be also worthwhile if you like tunes plugged into the radio from an iPod or similar device. How about a GPS? Either bike have one?

The '03 depending on the manufacture date may have to old style clutch slave that looses the bearing then eventually (40K+) wets the clutch. So that means you need to drill the weep hole, just to be sure. That is a long afternoon.

The only downside of the '09 is that you can't (or shouldn't) fit radials.

BTW, tires should be a concern. Check the DOT date and make sure the tires are not old on the '03 or for that matter on the '09.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2014, 6:28 pm

Depends on the options either have. It looks like the 03 has Moto lights on the forks. So the upgraded headlight on the 09 is not a big factor. I got them on my 04 and they light up the road. If you can get some service history on either or both. It would help make your decision a little easier. My 04 was the last year for the manual center stand.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 8:47 am

I rode an 03 for 3 years and then went to an 05. The latter is a much better bike and easier to handle.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 9:43 am
Super Moderator

Bad time of year to get a deal on a bike - price of '09 is high but you are buying from a dealer. Bought mine from an individual 2 years ago in the wintertime for $2K less with 13k on the ODO.

I owned a '02 for 7 years and compared to the '09 as it turned out I liked the power plant of the '02 more - smoother ride. But the '09 likes are powered center stand, central locking system, newer electronics interface, lighting package out front, slightly narrower seating and improved slow speed handling.

However I would go for the '03 now and if you like the platform all that much wait for a better deal on an '09 in the future and sell the '03 at a later date . . .

If you go for the '09 have the dealer move the Motolights from the '03 ($400) to the '09 to help you out!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; May 4th, 2014 at 9:51 am.
post #10 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 12:00 pm

I was at the dealer that has both these bike fore sale on Saturday, and noticed the 2003 LT was sold, Did you purchase that bike? It looks like a brand new one and for the price and low mileage it would be a great deal.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #11 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Take a look in the classifieds here. The 2009 is rather high priced unless it has a lot of ad-ons. My 2005 with 23,00 miles is for sale at $9500 with $8 of accessories included. Many other similar LT for comparable prices. I am very leery of the maintenance of bikes that only do a few hundred miles per year. ABS units are a pain to replace.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #12 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all very much. Very good ideas.

Clayton, as of Friday, I had told Wayne at the dealership that that I'd take the 03. That was before I realized I should do a bit more research.
Then after a few of you mention the pros and cons I made him an offer yesterday on the 09. It is on consignment from a fellow that bought 2 bikes from Wayne in the past. So all the servise has been done by them, hopefully with integrity. He said he could go to 14K. So, Clayton, You mention it looks like brand new. Its a shot in the dark but might you reckon the issues that JackD brings to light may not be an issue? Probably a silly question with out have ridden it, But at least you've seen it. Did you see the 09? Any Thoughts?

Dealers around here don't generally let you test out a new bike, not to sure about testing a used one... I'd be happy to reinburse you for your time if you could check them out.

Chuck,
I've sent you an email. Thank you.
Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Harkins

2012 Gas Gas txt 300 pro
2006 Buell Firebolt
2006 Yamaha FJ1

post #13 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 2:57 pm

You should get the 09 for sure. On a 7500 mile trip, I would be concerned about the 03 breaking down, it is eleven years old and even though the low miles that is probably worst than if it had been ridden regularly. Also all of the new improvements on the 05 and newer bikes add to the comfort and reliability. Also you should get the 09 for around 12k to 12,5k at most. Good luck I'm going on a trip to Virginia next week with the honey, can't wait to hit the road.
post #14 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 10:08 pm

I sent you a PM.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #15 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 10:35 pm

I also think the prices are very high, this bike is pretty bulletproof and really hasn't changed so much throughout the years (and some of the changes were met with shall we say mixed feelings). If you are like me, the difference of 7 or 8 thousand dollars is not insignificant. I don't think the premium is worth it in features or reliability. If money no object, buy the new GTL. Either way I think you'll love this bike.
post #16 of 24 Old May 4th, 2014, 11:18 pm

If it's any consolation, there has been an 09 for sale in a dealer in Edmonton for sometime now. Price originally $18500 miles around 21K I have watched this drop now it is $15500 still to high. Seems these bikes requires special owners and can prove a little awkward to move. As for me I bought an 07 last year for $14000 here in Alberta. However I had again watched this bike originally posted for $18500 drop to $15500. The area the dealership was in helped me knock him down to the $14000. Bike has a lot of pricey extras on. Foot platforms rider/ passenger, Zumo 550, Sirius sat radio, extra wing mirrors, rear arm rests, Unigo trailer, two helmets, with communication, tire pressure monitor system. Two extra back rests, canvas clothes bags for the hard bags. If you do the money conversion to US dollars your 09 Looks pricey for the states. JMTCW

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #17 of 24 Old May 5th, 2014, 7:18 am

I bought Shelly last year at this time from a private party. It was the best deal in the country that I could find. Took the family to DC for school vacation and looked at bike in Va. drove her home 500 mile test drive. 13K$ just under 12K miles still had warranty til July as it was a leftover. I couldn't be happier. When I started looking I too was looking older but then I figured less things to worry about from the start,it's only money and last year of model run this will be a collectors item soon enough

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold

Last edited by TeddyTelco; May 5th, 2014 at 10:49 am.
post #18 of 24 Old May 5th, 2014, 8:10 am

Kutter go for the '09 and you'll have no regrets. I'm also suggest get a friend to drive you where ever the bike is and have the dealer go over things with you. The dealer should let you do a test ride and then talk to you some more about the bike.

Then ride it back home and on that ride you'll become familiar with how great it rides and handles.

Just a thought.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #19 of 24 Old May 6th, 2014, 9:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Couple items not mentioned yet about the 09. From the photo it looks like it has the BMW comfort seats, they are a little softer than the ones on the 03. It also seems to have the comm system, good for keeping in touch with the passenger and having tunes and GPS piped to your helmet.

Good luck on your selection....go for the 09.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #20 of 24 Old May 6th, 2014, 11:12 am

retail on the '09 is 10,400-14,900, unless it's LOADED with extras, that seems about $2k too high for a now five year old bike that isn't even made any more.

I just traded in my 2004 LT with a ton of goodies for $5,300. If you find an 03 or 04 with good maintenance records, make sure the clutch and final drive are good, and can get it for under $6500, I'd go for that and use the other $7,500 for tires and half a dozen more trips!

The electro-hydraulic center stand is neat, but you can live without it.

just my opinion, your mileage may vary--either way, it's a great bike for LONG miles, and will keep your passenger happy

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #21 of 24 Old May 6th, 2014, 11:22 am

Not that it matters much, but I purchased an 2000 model two years ago with 28,000 miles on it and other than routine maintenance, haven't had any issues. It's now at just under 40,000 miles and my wife and I are planning a 3500 mile touring vacation in two weeks and I have no worries about reliability.

Best of luck with your decision and ride!

Just Ride
post #22 of 24 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Go with the '09: more power, power centerstand, Zenon light. The only problem is the damn color

I live near Seattle and have about 250,000 miles on 1200LTs. Give me a call at 425-516-3750 if you have any questions or want me to go have a look.

George

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

post #23 of 24 Old May 7th, 2014, 6:22 pm

I believe the ergonomics on the '09 make it more comfortable to ride as well. It's stretched out a little more than the pre-'05 models. The hydrolic center stand is great, unless the actuator quits working, making the center stand completely useless as there is no way to put the bike up manually, like the pre-'05's do. I don't believe I'd be too concerned with "breaking down" with either bike as they are both built to go many, many miles (as in 100K+)!!! Negotiate a complete service before buying either (changing all of the fluids...) though.

Ultimately, I say take each for a test ride if the dealer will let you and determine which "fits" better! They're both good bikes!

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
post #24 of 24 Old May 8th, 2014, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

HI All,

I just wanted to thank everybody for their input and help.

I decided to go with the 09 and sent a check out yesterday so there's no backing up now...

I checked Cycle trader for the whole United States and 13 to 14k seemed to be the average price. but they all had over 14000 miles or more, one hade 320,000. Hard to believe maybe it was a typo... but it was 11k.

I should have had them do a complete service as you mentioned bmwbagby but its probably too late now. For some reason they added 100.00 to my offer of 14k. Maybe I can talk them into for that reason.

To GBarnes and Clayton, thank you very much for the offer to check the bike out in person. Greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have a passel of questions after it gets here. I'll post some pic's.

Again, thanks for your time.
Best regards,
Jeff

Jeff Harkins

2012 Gas Gas txt 300 pro
2006 Buell Firebolt
2006 Yamaha FJ1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in