EBC rotors - any rust issues? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 8:32 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Question EBC rotors - any rust issues?

Must say I haven't seen any threads about this possible problem, but.... has anyone had any issues with the EBC rotors showing signs of rust or corrosion, or blemishing of the finish of the metal? (specifically the front I'm interested, but any comments welcomed).

A favoured dealer has advised they won't stock them because of this possible issue, however they do have much more expensive rotors available.

I can get the EBC fronts for about 1/2 the price of any of the German ones... but might it be buying a possible issue down the track?
I know the EBC rear have been a favoured replacement for OEM.....

thoughts?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 9:12 am

Re: EBC rotors - any rust issues?

I have installed a rear EBC rotor to get rid of the cow bell effect several months ago and there has been absolutely no indication of rust so far.
Of course it may be due to the fact I never wash the bike...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 10:10 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My rear does show some rust. I still have the stock up front with very little wear and I still have the original pads @ 87 K. Guess I don't brake much.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
...any issues with the EBC rotors showing signs of rust or corrosion...
The EBC rotor replacements for the K1200LT are supposedly stainless steel, as are the OE rotors. There should therefore not be any signs of corrosion (unless it has been in contact with chlorine ). Stainless rotors may however show some heat discoloration from really serious use, and it may also have some accumulation of brake dust, road grime and other crud that can take the appearance of rust. No reason to doubt the quality of EBC.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 11:51 am

I have to disagree. There are different specifications from manufacturer to manufacturer for "stainless steel" which is by definition an 88% ferrous (iron) alloy with different amounts of chromium and other corrosion resistant alloys in the morphology. Most motorcycle rotors are a high carbon content 400 series (martensitic) "stainless steel" or "420 stainless".

Much of the surface rust (and that's what's really being discussed here) that appears is countered with a coating - I would not be surprised if BMW rotors have an anti-corrosion gold zinc coating and the EBC don't. That alone would account for a big difference in cost. EBC may use some sort of coating as well but as with most things you get what you pay for.

I'm not saying that EBC rotors are inferior, but they may show different signs of aging than OEM rotors. No doubt exposure to many different factors (riding in rain soaked pavement full of acid, exposure to high humidity, living near an ocean, etc) and composition of aftermarket pads may affect their appearance.

I guess my question to the OP is why do the rotors need to be replaced - in the first place? On my first LT I got to 140K on all three still in specification... and I rode it almost exclusively in the high country in Colorado.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 7:35 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller View Post
I guess my question to the OP is why do the rotors need to be replaced - in the first place? On my first LT I got to 140K on all three still in specification... and I rode it almost exclusively in the high country in Colorado.
Hi Ron, I've no idea what the high country in Colorado is like, I'm sure it's very pretty.... But I'll bet it doesn't have several sets of traffic lights ever km/mile, and heavy stop/start city traffic....
A lot of my riding (106,000km) has been commuting in major traffic, 20-30 mins each way... and I don't baby the LT... So effectively I've worn the front rotors below the wear limit.... And used several sets of pads doing so. I've also destroyed a couple of rear rotors in the process....
Anyway... It's a wear and tear item that needs replacement, just want to ensure the fronts will go another 100k km before replacing them again.
I've got a near new final drive with rotor that'll go on as part of the next major tear down to replace my clutch Disk (2nd time, but first time I'll have done it).

I'm looking at a cost of US$127 per disk (EBC) v's about US$240 - $300 for other German or OEM disks.... big difference.... That's why I'm wondering if the price diff is really a reflection of quality, or part quality + heavy brand markup.

Cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Hi Ron, I've no idea what the high country in Colorado is like, I'm sure it's very pretty.... But I'll bet it doesn't have several sets of traffic lights ever km/mile, and heavy stop/start city traffic....
A lot of my riding (106,000km) has been commuting in major traffic, 20-30 mins each way... and I don't baby the LT... So effectively I've worn the front rotors below the wear limit.... And used several sets of pads doing so. I've also destroyed a couple of rear rotors in the process....
Anyway... It's a wear and tear item that needs replacement, just want to ensure the fronts will go another 100k km before replacing them again.
I've got a near new final drive with rotor that'll go on as part of the next major tear down to replace my clutch Disk (2nd time, but first time I'll have done it).

I'm looking at a cost of US$127 per disk (EBC) v's about US$240 - $300 for other German or OEM disks.... big difference.... That's why I'm wondering if the price diff is really a reflection of quality, or part quality + heavy brand markup.

Cheers
Ah, a huge difference in riding "styles". I can use engine braking most all the time versus the brakes. You, on the other hand have no choice but to use the brakes ALL the time. The simple fact that you've survived your type of riding is a huge testament to your skill as a rider.

I guess it all comes down to how long do you intend to keep your present steed?

For me - as a long time LT owner - it has almost always paid to stay with OEM components. It has been excrutiatingly painful at times but the longevity and lack of hassle going back and replacing others has been well worth it for me.

For critical components - such as brakes - I've never been able to justify straying from the OEM specs - even though I will admit to having components custom made by others that meet them - as in brake lines.

Curiosly enough I just installed a set of rotors on my 1987 Chevy 1 ton dually that were forged in Australia - that met OEM specs - and were a tremendous value. So far so good. They were 1/2 the price than the Chevy OEM from my local dealer.

So, I guess it's pretty much a personal decision when we're talking about these old gals. Since I ride two up almost all the time and tow a trailer I'll stick with OEM specs. For me, anything less just doesn't work - no matter what the price.

I'm consistently AMAZED how good the brakes are on LT's. ...even if I only need to use mine a few times a year.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller View Post
I have to disagree.
Not sure why there is disagreement, seeing that the rotors are indeed stainless steel. If the brake rotors are 420 then the iron content will be around 88% as stated. If it was 316 (which it isn't) then the iron content could be as low as 65%. So the definition that stainless steel has 88% iron is incorrect.

Nevertheless, even if the rotors were plated "gold zinc", the zinc plating will soon wear away on the friction surface leaving the stainless steel surface exposed. It will protect the rotor edge and the hub though. Zinc plating is a very economical process and shouldn't add much to the cost of the rotors. Whether it adds any performance benefit is questionable, but some would consider it to have cosmetic value.

The OP really questioned the value of the EBC rotors, i.e. price versus quality. The bottom line is that the EBC's are stainless like the OE rotors, with seemingly acceptable performance, at a more affordable price. The choice really comes down to a personal preference for OE or not.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

Last edited by andres; Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:46 pm.
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 6:04 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have rode about 175,000 miles on LT's & I have worn out 5 rear BMW rotors. The EBC rear rotor I put on a few years ago on my 2004 has very little wear. A magnet sticks very well to both the BMW & the EBC rotor. Just by how the magnet pulls off of the rotors I would say the steel content is the same for both rotors. I think the floating style EBC rotor is better than the BMW rotor.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 13 Old May 19th, 2014, 6:22 pm

I put an EBC on my rear within the first year of bringing her home.

This past year, she's sat almost completely idle in the garage and yes, it has some surface rust showing. My expectation is as soon as I ride it more than around the block, that'll be goners.

I also still have the OEM rear disk with light wear, you know - JIC.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #11 of 13 Old May 19th, 2014, 8:11 pm

I have had several sets of supposedly high quality stainless kitchen knives and they sometimes the will show some rust, doesn't stop me from cutting the cheese.
post #12 of 13 Old May 28th, 2014, 6:22 pm

And, now that I've had a couple hundred under her, rear EBC is as shiny and new looking as ever.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 1:48 pm

Most brake rotors rust. Who cares??

Man even after couple days my 09' jetta rotors look really rusty, mind u prob iron but first brake application they are clean.

So either option is valid but depends on your wallet depth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in