ABS Failure - help please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 10:58 am Thread Starter

ABS Failure - help please

I bought my LT a few months ago and now need to sort out a technical problem. so I am taking advice from all you guys that said 'have a go yourself' and learn about the bike! I have a 2004 older model 13k miles - serviced last when I brought it Nov 2012 at 11,500 BUT I reckon the shop did a 'mini' service and not the full 12k version. They didn't flush the brake system. There were no recent services prior since 6000 a few years prior.

Yesterday I was on a course with the UK police, on my second assessed ride the ABS and general warning light activated and I had to abandon the end of the course and limp home on residual brakes. As a sub-plot to the main story, the officer had a calibrated speedo and had me at 62mph constantly when I was reading 70mph confirming my instinctive feeling that my speedo (and yours?) is reading +10%.

Back to the main plot. I have tried reading through related posts on this site but want to check I have my understanding right before a DIY job to fix it (I have very little mechanical knowledge) now I am trying to diagnose and address the problem if I can before my first and probably very expensive visit to a BMW dealer.

ABS light is rapid flashing 4hz and the general warning light is on from the ignition phase + on starting engine + on the move over 5kph (failing the self check and pull away test). I checked handlebar reseviour and it is brown but up to max mark (but I believe this doesn't fall when there is a fault). I have checked the reseviour under the seat and it looks clear(yellowish) much better condition than the handlebar reseviour (itís level is 1/3above minimum). There are no signs of a leek that I can find with a limited inspection/feel along various lines and junction points. So is it low enough in the rear reseviour to trigger a fault?....

So - based on all I have read the forum (but I may have missed something!) I will get some 4 dot brake fluid and add to the max point in he rear reseviour then see if the fault is corrected (that should answer my first question) and perhaps get me safely back on the road.

I have also viewed the video on flushing the brakes system and believe I am capable of doing it but just can't find an LT flush kit or funnel for sale in the UK -perhaps Beamer Boneyard will send me one if I get in touch? So I will do the flush whether the top up fails or works as I reckon it needs to be done.

I am away from for the next couple of days for a couple of days but will have a go at these options when I return, so if anyone thinks there is something else that someone of my limited ability should do or try then please chime in.

I am due to take my wife for our first tour together into North Yorkshire next weekend and have everything booked but will have the humiliation of having to go in the car if the brakes aren't easily fixable! After that we are due to be touring in Europe in June with some friends so it is absolutely essential everything is 100% good to go with the bike. So if my efforts this week fail I guess it will have to be the visit to the BMW dealer for the brakes - and perhaps a full service if I have any money left in my account!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 11:51 am
Enjoy The Ride

Re: ABS Failure - help please

There are two reservoirs under the seat & they should both be filled to the top. If it was just a low fluid warning you should have still had power brakes.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 12:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

As Dave pointed out, find that second reservoir under the back seat. It's close to the right side of the bike. Some people remove the rear side panel to get to it, but you can access it without that if you try. It is possible it got so low that some air entered the system, but the only way to know with certainty is to have the codes read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I had found the reseviour under the seat and this is the one that was just 1/3rd above the min mark. I took off the footpeg and the side panel. It looks like one reseviour but has two sections (I think). When I watched the video for flushing the brake system it was this part that was shown and it has a brake pipe that enters into the top of the front section and a second that enters the top of the rear section and both had to be flushed. Have I understood this correctly or is there a further reseviour somewhere else I didn't see?

Regarding the 'codes' will this be as simple as booking the bike for a diagnostic check at the dealer then they plug something in and tell me for sure exactly what the problems - if so I may just do that later in the week and then work out what to do (probably leave it there to be fixed as it' nearly a 1 hour ride). Also, is there a standard cost I should expect for the diagnostic check?

Thanks for the replies so far.....
post #5 of 20 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 1:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

It is one reservoir with two sections. The front cap is for the rear brakes & the rear cap is for the front brakes. As long as there was some fluid in the sections it should not have gotten any air into the system.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 20 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Hi Cameron, sorry to hear of your woes. Just flushed etc the brakes on my 05 LT and have the funnel and a GS911 which might help diagnose your problem if you can get down to Lincolnshire or make some other arrangements.

Bob
post #7 of 20 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 2:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronM View Post
I bought my LT a few months ago and now need to sort out a technical problem. so I am taking advice from all you guys that said 'have a go yourself' and learn about the bike! I have a 2004 older model 13k miles - serviced last when I brought it Nov 2012 at 11,500 BUT I reckon the shop did a 'mini' service and not the full 12k version. They didn't flush the brake system. There were no recent services prior since 6000 a few years prior.

Yesterday I was on a course with the UK police, on my second assessed ride the ABS and general warning light activated and I had to abandon the end of the course and limp home on residual brakes. As a sub-plot to the main story, the officer had a calibrated speedo and had me at 62mph constantly when I was reading 70mph confirming my instinctive feeling that my speedo (and yours?) is reading +10%.

Back to the main plot. I have tried reading through related posts on this site but want to check I have my understanding right before a DIY job to fix it (I have very little mechanical knowledge) now I am trying to diagnose and address the problem if I can before my first and probably very expensive visit to a BMW dealer.

ABS light is rapid flashing 4hz and the general warning light is on from the ignition phase + on starting engine + on the move over 5kph (failing the self check and pull away test). I checked handlebar reseviour and it is brown but up to max mark (but I believe this doesn't fall when there is a fault). I have checked the reseviour under the seat and it looks clear(yellowish) much better condition than the handlebar reseviour (itís level is 1/3above minimum). There are no signs of a leek that I can find with a limited inspection/feel along various lines and junction points. So is it low enough in the rear reseviour to trigger a fault?....

So - based on all I have read the forum (but I may have missed something!) I will get some 4 dot brake fluid and add to the max point in he rear reseviour then see if the fault is corrected (that should answer my first question) and perhaps get me safely back on the road.

I have also viewed the video on flushing the brakes system and believe I am capable of doing it but just can't find an LT flush kit or funnel for sale in the UK -perhaps Beamer Boneyard will send me one if I get in touch? So I will do the flush whether the top up fails or works as I reckon it needs to be done.

I am away from for the next couple of days for a couple of days but will have a go at these options when I return, so if anyone thinks there is something else that someone of my limited ability should do or try then please chime in.

I am due to take my wife for our first tour together into North Yorkshire next weekend and have everything booked but will have the humiliation of having to go in the car if the brakes aren't easily fixable! After that we are due to be touring in Europe in June with some friends so it is absolutely essential everything is 100% good to go with the bike. So if my efforts this week fail I guess it will have to be the visit to the BMW dealer for the brakes - and perhaps a full service if I have any money left in my account!
Hopefully, just low on fluid. However, even if that fixes things for now, if the dealer really did not flush the fluid, you want to do that ASAP as brake fluid degrades from age as much as from mileage and 10 years is WAY too long for brake fluid!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 20 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 12:31 am
cws

Garage

Good luck with it Cameron! Hope you sort it out before your trip and its nothing too expensive!
We did drive past Hexham a few weeks ago when you went to London... was wishing I'd had more time to hang around there... we were in the area for way too short a time!
cheers!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 20 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisBikeNut1 View Post
Hi Cameron, sorry to hear of your woes. Just flushed etc the brakes on my 05 LT and have the funnel and a GS911 which might help diagnose your problem if you can get down to Lincolnshire or make some other arrangements.

Bob
Hi Bob, thanks for the offer - I was nearby last weekend travelling home from Norfolk (by car with my family!) but that was before I even knew what a GS911 was or that I would need one. I'll let you know how I get on and may be back in touch.... Thanks again.
post #10 of 20 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Good luck with it Cameron! Hope you sort it out before your trip and its nothing too expensive!
We did drive past Hexham a few weeks ago when you went to London... was wishing I'd had more time to hang around there... we were in the area for way too short a time!
cheers!
....sorry I wasn't around to show you the area. I hope you had a great trip touring in the motor home. I know we are half a world apart but you're welcome in Hexham any time you are able to make it.
post #11 of 20 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 8:43 am Thread Starter

A quick update and some more help with diagnosis please...

I just topped up both sections of the reseviour under the seat. Still got the same rapid flashing ABS 4hz light and constant general warning light. I noticed a couple of extra symptoms that may help someone with the right knowledge help me pinpoint the problem......

When I turn the ignition on there is a short whine from the servo and this seems to end at the same time that the yellow low fuel indicator light switches off / self check process? The servo does not activate from the front brake after that but it does work from the rear brake - but then keeps whining. After being activated by the rear brake it will can be activated from the front brake being depressed as well. It sounds like a constant whine from the servo when the engine is running.

So, does that make any more sense of what my problem is likely to be?

I was hoping to visit the dealer today for a diagnostic check (£30) but I have too much work on today to make it there and back in time - but I'll take Friday off for that. So any wisdom in the meantime would be welcomed.... Thanks....

Cameron
post #12 of 20 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 2:30 pm

I am having a similar problem: rapid flashing of the warning lights, failure to clear lights after moving, limited brake function and most important constant servo engagement after any brake lever activation.

I ride a 2003 LT with about 38,000 miles. Did a full system flush within recent memory (past couple of years) rear reservoirs are fully topped off and brakes worked normally when I shut it down last fall. I did replace the battery first thing this spring, she started right up, but those damn error lights started right up at the fast blink.

The "servo" does it's check upon startup (that is I hear it activate then quiet, as I consider normal since I have owned this bike for about 6 years). It remains silent until I touch either the front or rear brake pedal, whereupon it runs constantly until I power off. If I engage either brake in this condition I can hear the servo "working harder" until I release the brake. However the servo keeps whining. I did one test ride until I noticed the reduced braking, and figured I would drain the battery with the servo running constantly.

My understanding of the system is limited, despite having performed the flush myself two years ago. I am thinking the "servo" is one of two boxlike units on the left side under the seat across from the battery (with all the brake lines running into it) while the abs unit is the other boxlike unit located just rear from the servo. Is this correct?

How can I differentiate a "servo" issue from an abs issue? I have the stingray off and am prepared to remove the tank if necessary to troubleshoot this but not sure where to go with this.

Basic question is, why does the servo whine constantly? Why does Camerons do it from only one of the brake, while mine activates (runs constantly) after touching either brake lever?

Peter
2002 K1200LTE (July 4, 2008)-"Dragonfly"
1984 Goldwing Aspencade-"The Mighty Pickle" (think of Arlo Guthrie)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750-"Little Pickle" (sometimes "Gherkin")
1980 Honda 750 Four-utilitarian, classic
1978 Honda 450 Four-took it apart, couldn't put it back together...
1976 Suzuki GT 250-2 stroke screamer
post #13 of 20 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 8:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The front one is the entire ABS and the box behind it is the reverser controller. The only external (to the ABS unit) fault that would cause the servos to run is a stuck brake switch or a old brake hose in the control circuit that is not letting the control pressure release when you are off the brakes.

There is not much you can with the unit itself. But Module Masters claims they are close (this summer) to being able to repair these units. Otherwise it is a junkyard or new.

Given the complicated system there can be several failure modes as there are two servo motors, 4 pressure transducers, two electromagnets and a circuit board with lots of parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics internal board 6.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	54977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motors Exposed 15.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	54985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoids Control Section 9.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	54993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Wheel Interface 12.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	55001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Wheel Interface Valves 14.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	55009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Integration section front 8.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	55017  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 20 Old May 1st, 2014, 11:24 pm

Thanks for the clarification, John. Your posts are always helpful.
I did check both the front lever and the rear pedal to rule out either being "stuck" they were both moving freely and I heard the faint "click" when they engaged and disengaged so I don't think theybare the cause for my servo staying "on" once I have engaged either brake.

Is the servo the same thing referred to as "abs pump"?
If so, this abs/servo unit is the place where the brakes are "integrated"?
My understandingis that there is a place within where the front brake fluid line "communicates" with the rear line. Is it possible that old/contaminated fluid could foul this area of "communication" and is this why yearly flushes are recommended?

Ok, I am grasping at straws. Other than a brake fluid flush any suggestions?
I am not afraid to remove the damned abs/servo unit, I just took the stingray apart to find a loose wire for the radio!

If anyone could comment on the abs sensors (at the wheels, presumably) or the abs relay (under the tank) I think I will understand the whole system. Thanks in advance!

Peter
2002 K1200LTE (July 4, 2008)-"Dragonfly"
1984 Goldwing Aspencade-"The Mighty Pickle" (think of Arlo Guthrie)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750-"Little Pickle" (sometimes "Gherkin")
1980 Honda 750 Four-utilitarian, classic
1978 Honda 450 Four-took it apart, couldn't put it back together...
1976 Suzuki GT 250-2 stroke screamer
post #15 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Please help me turn my nightmare into the holiday of a lifetime I was hoping to have with my bike (.... and wife)..... Starting 5th June!

I made the visit to the dealer today and the diagnostic check was 'internal ABS pump failure/fault', no cure unless I have £1500 for a new unit and £200 to get it fitted. The technician really felt my pain and they waived the charge for the diagnostic check (BMW Coopers, Sunderland) so my thanks to them for helping me out on that...... and now I need you friendly folk on the forum to help me get things sorted out please. I only bought this bike a few months ago (with such low mileage!) and have been unable to use it much during the winter and now have a bike that goes great but can't stop (residual brakes are virtually no brakes at all!). I reckon the fluids haven't been flushed in recent years or ever which was no doubt a major factor. Now I have my 'trip of a lifetime' around Europe awaiting me next month and will have to take some rapid action to get it fixed.

I have booked the bike into my local bikeshop where Dave has done a grand job on my previous bikes and is happy to take on the option everyone seems to advise in these circumstances: Remove servo/ABS units + new brake lines reverted to the standard braking system of the 'original' models.

Remembering mine is a 2004 UK model is there anything I need to tell Dave? The points I am still unclear on and would like some views are:

1. what brake lines to get

a) what make should I order (Speigler gets mentioned positively a lot?)
b) what model/year do I order to get the ones that were pre- the Servo/ABS units that will be the right fit for for my bike

2. what electronics type 'fixes' do I need to ask Dave to make

a) to stop the warning lights flashing
b) making sure everything else electronic still works as it should. Some posts say there are no problems, others report failures of speedos and other things. I guess there are different issues for different years/models so what should I expect to encounter and deal with while it's in the shop? .... so I don't get the electronics playing up while I'm on the road with my Mrs and our luggage in Europe.

3. what should my expectations be for the new brake set up (other than no ABS function)? If you have had this done to your bike what was the % reduction in braking performance or is it that the rider just needs to exert more force on the brakes to get an equal effect?

4. I am getting Dave to do a full and complete service so please tell me any items you think I should get done while the bike is naked.

So I know there's quite a lot here and it's way down on the thread so I hope some of you out there have managed to read this far and can help me out.....

Thanks, Cameron
post #16 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2014, 1:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburhoe View Post
Thanks for the clarification, John. Your posts are always helpful.
I did check both the front lever and the rear pedal to rule out either being "stuck" they were both moving freely and I heard the faint "click" when they engaged and disengaged so I don't think theybare the cause for my servo staying "on" once I have engaged either brake.

Is the servo the same thing referred to as "abs pump"?
If so, this abs/servo unit is the place where the brakes are "integrated"?
My understandingis that there is a place within where the front brake fluid line "communicates" with the rear line. Is it possible that old/contaminated fluid could foul this area of "communication" and is this why yearly flushes are recommended?

Ok, I am grasping at straws. Other than a brake fluid flush any suggestions?
I am not afraid to remove the damned abs/servo unit, I just took the stingray apart to find a loose wire for the radio!

If anyone could comment on the abs sensors (at the wheels, presumably) or the abs relay (under the tank) I think I will understand the whole system. Thanks in advance!

While a full flush can't hurt do not expect it to resolve your issue. There is no "ABS relay" in this system just the warning light and brake light relays. The sensors do not cause the 4 Hz fault. They will stop the 2 Hz fault from clearing when you start rolling. Not good news. These faults are usually caused by a failure on the "brain" circuit board or pump motors and pressure transducers.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 20 Old May 11th, 2014, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronM View Post
Please help me turn my nightmare into the holiday of a lifetime I was hoping to have with my bike (.... and wife)..... Starting 5th June!

I made the visit to the dealer today and the diagnostic check was 'internal ABS pump failure/fault', no cure unless I have £1500 for a new unit and £200 to get it fitted. The technician really felt my pain and they waived the charge for the diagnostic check (BMW Coopers, Sunderland) so my thanks to them for helping me out on that...... and now I need you friendly folk on the forum to help me get things sorted out please. I only bought this bike a few months ago (with such low mileage!) and have been unable to use it much during the winter and now have a bike that goes great but can't stop (residual brakes are virtually no brakes at all!). I reckon the fluids haven't been flushed in recent years or ever which was no doubt a major factor. Now I have my 'trip of a lifetime' around Europe awaiting me next month and will have to take some rapid action to get it fixed.

I have booked the bike into my local bikeshop where Dave has done a grand job on my previous bikes and is happy to take on the option everyone seems to advise in these circumstances: Remove servo/ABS units + new brake lines reverted to the standard braking system of the 'original' models.

Remembering mine is a 2004 UK model is there anything I need to tell Dave? The points I am still unclear on and would like some views are:

1. what brake lines to get

a) what make should I order (Speigler gets mentioned positively a lot?)
b) what model/year do I order to get the ones that were pre- the Servo/ABS units that will be the right fit for for my bike

2. what electronics type 'fixes' do I need to ask Dave to make

a) to stop the warning lights flashing
b) making sure everything else electronic still works as it should. Some posts say there are no problems, others report failures of speedos and other things. I guess there are different issues for different years/models so what should I expect to encounter and deal with while it's in the shop? .... so I don't get the electronics playing up while I'm on the road with my Mrs and our luggage in Europe.

3. what should my expectations be for the new brake set up (other than no ABS function)? If you have had this done to your bike what was the % reduction in braking performance or is it that the rider just needs to exert more force on the brakes to get an equal effect?

4. I am getting Dave to do a full and complete service so please tell me any items you think I should get done while the bike is naked.

So I know there's quite a lot here and it's way down on the thread so I hope some of you out there have managed to read this far and can help me out.....

Thanks, Cameron
Your not on your own mate , i too have a problem with my abs pump . No servo on the rear brake pedal , but i have a rear brake light . I have done a complete fluis flush and still have the problem . The front brake with servo assist works brilliant and if i use the front brake whilst pushing the rear brake at the same time the rear servo works . im in for a diagnostic check this coming thursday at Clarkes bme in Rednal uk . The dealers thinks its a sticking valve . The warning triangle is flashing and the brake failure light is too . Dealer thinks its the pump that has failed and has quoted me £1500. Any ideas from anyone to provide a solution to this problem .
post #18 of 20 Old May 11th, 2014, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts View Post
. Any ideas from anyone to provide a solution to this problem .
YES.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...737#post927737

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #19 of 20 Old May 13th, 2014, 4:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts View Post
Your not on your own mate , i too have a problem with my abs pump . No servo on the rear brake pedal , but i have a rear brake light . I have done a complete fluis flush and still have the problem . The front brake with servo assist works brilliant and if i use the front brake whilst pushing the rear brake at the same time the rear servo works . im in for a diagnostic check this coming thursday at Clarkes bme in Rednal uk . The dealers thinks its a sticking valve . The warning triangle is flashing and the brake failure light is too . Dealer thinks its the pump that has failed and has quoted me £1500. Any ideas from anyone to provide a solution to this problem .
Forgot to say , my bike is a 2005 model for those in the states and a 2004 with the electric stand in Europe .
post #20 of 20 Old May 28th, 2014, 6:56 am Thread Starter

So for those of you monitoring or reading to this point - I picked up my bike yesterday from the workshop after having the ABS removed using instructions and some telephone support from a very helpful member of this forum (thanks Airportech!). I also got the brake lines renewed, quick disconnects replaced and a major service - all for about 25% of the cost of replacing the ABS unit.

We had great weather in he UK yesterday (unusually for May - or any other month of the year!) so I was able to take the bike out for a few hours around Northumberland and along Hadrian's Wall (next to it rather than on it). I'm very happy with the results. More travel on the lever and pedal and more pressure needed from me to replace the effect of the servo but no deterioration in braking capability IMHO. However, I can't claim to be such a great rider that I am capable of getting the optimum performance that the integrated / ABS achieve. So for me it's back to that 'old school' method of feeling and operating the brakes as I have done for 30 years until purchasing the LT 6 months ago. I don't think I've forgotten how to work them despite the LT doing it for me 'automatically' since then.

So my trip next week to Holland/France/Italy/Switzerland/Germany is looking a certainty now. I have another couple of long trips planned before I go just to adjust back to 'normal' brakes - but probably in the rain which is forecast for the next 3-4 days....

Thanks to everyone for advice and comments and I hope this is another thread with a happy ending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in