2005 LT abs problem, Dealer useless. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 25th, 2014, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

2005 LT abs problem, Dealer useless.

Hi Guys,
I have tried to find an answer to my ABS problem on the forum, but I cant find a solution to my particular problem so could do with a helping hand.

2005 LT ,86000, miles, full dealer service history. The bike as had regular fluid changes and flushes by dealer. Problem is ABS light is on (4 flashes per second) and warning light is on (red triangle).
Warning lights do not go out on start up.
Brakes appear to be working fine ie front and rear together with servo running when I use the front lever only.
When I use the rear lever, after 2 or 3 uses, the ABS system stops working and goes into the non servo state.
Switch off the ignition and on again, all is as above. Brakes work fine providing I do not use the rear lever.

Took to dealer for new fluid flush and was told that they could only replace the fluid in the rear circuit and that the computer they connect would not allow them to change the fluid in the front circuit and pressure was to high and that the ABS unit is dead and needed to be replaced.

I don't believe the ABS unit is faulty, but I may be wishing to hard. Any advice would be greatfully received and could you also direct me to the best thread to flush the fluid myself.

Regards

Dean

Just booked a table for two for me and the wife. It was bound to end in tears though - she's crap at snooker.

Such an unfair world. When a man talks dirty to a woman its considered sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man its 2.50/min
(charges may vary).

2005 K1200LT with ZZ Trailer (For Touring)
Piaggio X9 500ie (for running about)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 25th, 2014, 6:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 2005 LT abs problem, Dealer useless.

Sorry Dean,

But it appears the dealer is correct. There are a number of things that can go wrong and not all of them are related to poor maintenance (i.e. lack of regular flushes).

There are some powerful motors that are controlled my MosFETs and several pressure transducers. If you are getting a high pressure fault then it is most likely caused by a bad transducer. These items are not available for replacement - yet.

Some times gunk jams a pump motor or it just wears out and then the excessive current fries the MosFET controlling it. Other times a pressure transducer fails. Right now your only option is complete replacement.

The stateside blokes are not ready to fix these yet but I think I have heard of an outfit over on your side of the pond that is rebuilding them. May want to put a post over in the international area.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 25th, 2014, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
I have just been talking to Module Master in Moscow, Idaho about this Servo Assisted Module, and they tell me that they will have a service package available within the next 3-4 months. They are having parts made now and are confident that they will be able to repair this unit successfully.
So fingers crossed. I think I will have the unit removed and set up as a non ABS system for now, unless someone can give me a solution or possible way forward. If I do remove it, I will send it to Module Master anyway, as It will just be a paper weight on my work bench and they said that if they cant repair it they will send it back at postage cost only. I will keep you informed of the outcome.

Regards

Dean

Just booked a table for two for me and the wife. It was bound to end in tears though - she's crap at snooker.

Such an unfair world. When a man talks dirty to a woman its considered sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man its 2.50/min
(charges may vary).

2005 K1200LT with ZZ Trailer (For Touring)
Piaggio X9 500ie (for running about)

Last edited by deancardey; Apr 25th, 2014 at 7:25 pm. Reason: spelling mistakes

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 25th, 2014, 10:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just remember Dean, if you pull the ABS you loose the Speedometer and Odometer and the cruise control functions as they all rely on the TACHO A signal from the ABS. Also brake lights will have to be modified.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deancardey View Post
Hi Guys,
I have tried to find an answer to my ABS problem on the forum, but I cant find a solution to my particular problem so could do with a helping hand.

2005 LT ,86000, miles, full dealer service history. The bike as had regular fluid changes and flushes by dealer. Problem is ABS light is on (4 flashes per second) and warning light is on (red triangle).
Warning lights do not go out on start up.
Brakes appear to be working fine ie front and rear together with servo running when I use the front lever only.
When I use the rear lever, after 2 or 3 uses, the ABS system stops working and goes into the non servo state.
Switch off the ignition and on again, all is as above. Brakes work fine providing I do not use the rear lever.

Took to dealer for new fluid flush and was told that they could only replace the fluid in the rear circuit and that the computer they connect would not allow them to change the fluid in the front circuit and pressure was to high and that the ABS unit is dead and needed to be replaced.

I don't believe the ABS unit is faulty, but I may be wishing to hard. Any advice would be greatfully received and could you also direct me to the best thread to flush the fluid myself.

Regards

Dean
Hi Dean I've had exactly the same problem and I've removed the unit and refit the electrical unit, quite happy with the brakes I see it as just one less headache/worry.

Cheers Bren
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The stateside blokes are not ready to fix these yet but I think I have heard of an outfit over on your side of the pond that is rebuilding them. May want to put a post over in the international area.
Gee, John, did the implant some bits from the UK when they fixed you up? Seems like your posts are picking up a slight English accent.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in