Deluxe brown wire option.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2014, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Deluxe brown wire option....

on some LT's cutting the brown wire has the bike running on a different spark map that is more suited for hot weather. Some of us live in a place where we have 90 degrees one day and 30 degrees the next, so leaving the wire cut is not the best option...

Radio shack sells a nice Single pole Single throw switch (SPST) that you can easily add to the wire and mount so you can cut or uncut the wire at you whim..

You can pull some slack out of the wire to get more room, I also added some heat shrink with glue to add some more weather protection to the switches connections. Soldering in this small space can be hard, I decided to use a propane soldering iron just to make it more interesting.

Mounting the switch is done in the typical BMW way, a simple tye-wrap will hold it there.

I added a BMW style label so that I remember what direction is normal.

This is not difficult to do, I have 30 years of experience as an electronics and motorcycle electrical expert, so this took me 10 minutes, but if you can run a soldering iron without burning yourself, you can easily do this in a short amount of time. the hard part is the heat shrink tubing, you need a small hot air source to shrink it in that space without damaging other parts, a propane soldering iron typically will have a hot air attachment that is tiny for this exact use, otherwise put 2 layers of tinfoil over everything you don't want damaged and use a larger hot air gun only until the heat shrink insulation shrinks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4972.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	53897  

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2014, 6:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Deluxe brown wire option....

Been toying with that idea myself for my intake air temperature sensor on my 2000. Currently mine is just unplugged, but I like the idea of switchable. Someone on here installed what I thaink was a 700 ohm resister inline to just take 20 degrees off the perceived temperature sent to the Motronic. I think part of the issue is heat radiation from the engine and radiator. Seems like maybe BMW didn't factor in an engine and radiator assembly running at 180 degrees just a couple inches from their sensor. Nicely done though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2014, 6:17 pm

Hard to believe new threads are still being created regarding the dreaded brown wire. (Cue mystery theater sound bite.)

A quick forum search yielded this thread back in 2005. In that thread, I mention installing a switch and also remind those how to use the switch. Don't toggle it while the bike is running, it has no affect. Or ... is that effect? I always forget.

- Joe

post #4 of 19 Old Apr 21st, 2014, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
Hard to believe new threads are still being created regarding the dreaded brown wire. (Cue mystery theater sound bite.)

A quick forum search yielded this thread back in 2005. In that thread, I mention installing a switch and also remind those how to use the switch. Don't toggle it while the bike is running, it has no affect. Or ... is that effect? I always forget.
Yep. Switches have been mentioned MANY times over the years. It is a very simple additional thought when cutting the brown wire is mentioned.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 9:12 pm

Give the guy a break. Not everyone can be as good as everyone else. Tim came up with a great idea considering he didn't know it was out there before.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
post #6 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok View Post
Give the guy a break. Not everyone can be as good as everyone else. Tim came up with a great idea considering he didn't know it was out there before.
But the tiniest simple search would have found lots of posts about it. This has been discussed ad nauseum for over a decade.

When on a forum as old as this one, it pays to do at least minor searching to see if something has been discussed or a problem solved in the past. There is very little if anything new to be discovered about the LT at this point in time.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #7 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 1:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
But the tiniest simple search would have found lots of posts about it. This has been discussed ad nauseum for over a decade.

When on a forum as old as this one, it pays to do at least minor searching to see if something has been discussed or a problem solved in the past. There is very little if anything new to be discovered about the LT at this point in time.
Bingo!

- Joe
post #8 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 9:56 am

I don't think that you guys get it.
We KNOW that people have put switches into the "brown wire" and temp sensor circuits in the past. Who hasn't read through the Hall Of Wisdom? (though I think that it is Quite hard to find now, if you don't know what you're looking for).
It's the Individual installation that we're talking about. Everyone does it a little differently. what's wrong with showing us your interpertation of the installation?

Here's my version of an air temp disconnect switch,,,,much like timgray's...
I've never needed to use it. (tried it once & didn't notice any difference)

((sorry no spell check))
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temp sw.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	54009  

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Last edited by rhawk; Apr 23rd, 2014 at 10:02 am. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 9:59 am

Here's My installation of a grounding button for pin 21, for clearing faults in the ABS II system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pin 21.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	54017  

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #10 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
Here's My installation of a grounding button for pin 21, for clearing faults in the ABS II system.
... which has got nothing to do with the topic of this thread

Born to be wild so why not

post #11 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
... which has got nothing to do with the topic of this thread
My Bad..
Thanks

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #12 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:05 pm

I've ridden in temperatures from the high teens to 120F with the brown wire cut well over 100K ago. I never felt the need for a switch as it has had no performance issues. Except for some toasted in-tank fuel hose my brick has never hiccuped. This of course had nothing to do with the engine itself.

I'm constantly astounded what a bulletproof engine this bad boy truly is. With all the issues on the K1600 series I'm really glad I kept my LT. True engine related issues are rarely - if ever - discussed here. I hope my new GT is as trouble free...

I can't help but wonder if this is a solution in search of a problem. Maybe my experience is unique.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:07 pm

Quote:

Effect.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller View Post
Effect.
Thanks Ron. .

- Joe
post #15 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Thanks Ron. .
No child left behind...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
No child left behind...!
Unless they are . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FRENCH!!!

- Joe
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 24th, 2014, 9:02 am Thread Starter

The search on this website is god awful junk. Whoever maintains this site needs to actually fix the problems with it. But I doubt they will, they dont even care to put a picture of an LT in the header.

I'm going to cover the phoenix switch install next!

Cant wait to see who get's their tighty whities all in a bunch over that one.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 24th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
The search on this website is god awful junk. Whoever maintains this site needs to actually fix the problems with it. But I doubt they will, they dont even care to put a picture of an LT in the header.

I'm going to cover the phoenix switch install next!

Cant wait to see who get's their tighty whities all in a bunch over that one.
Really easy to avoid any negative feedback. Post as "My way to install switch". Do not post to sound as if you feel you have made a new discovery. If you had said something like "I know people have installed switches on the brown wire before, this is how I did it." then no one would have had any issue with it at all. It was all in the way it was presented, not the content.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 24th, 2014, 7:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
Really easy to avoid any negative feedback. Post as "My way to install switch". Do not post to sound as if you feel you have made a new discovery. If you had said something like "I know people have installed switches on the brown wire before, this is how I did it." then no one would have had any issue with it at all. It was all in the way it was presented, not the content.
I went back and read the first post again and don't see where it is all that objectionable. Then again, the "electronics and motorcycle electrical expert" was a little over the top given timgray's propensity to boldly make patently false statements. I'm still chuckling over the claim that the LT is the shortest stopping vehicle on the road.

I do agree with him that the search capability on this site is dismal. I haven't checked recently, but at one time you couldn't search on words less than 5 characters long or something dumb like that. Any technical site that can't search for TLAs is simply dumb.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in