Flashing ABS lights (my turn) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 18th, 2014, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Flashing ABS lights (my turn)

Every other week I ride up to Lecanto to visit my Mom, it's a two hundred mile round trip which i usually manage to turn into a little over 250.

On the return ride my ABS lights started flashing, I shut the bike down and restarted a couple of times but I couldn't clear those annoying lights,
I have a volt meter on the dash which read 12.8 at rest and 13.6 while running, figured that ruled out the low voltage battery issue.

Checked the fluid in the handlebar reservoir and the one under the seat, both full, rode home cautiously fearing an expensive ABS pump failure.

Couple of days later I got the time to do a complete brake fluid flush,
it was time anyway, noticed the rear ABS pump reservoir was low,
trying to figure out why I remembered laying the big girl over on her side a couple of months ago in some sugar sand, wasn't a big deal,
popped the mirror back on picked her up and rode away (nobody saw me)

Still couldn't get the lights to stop flashing, took her out for a 150 mile back roads pleasure cruise, brakes worked fine, lights kept flashing.

Next plan visit the dealer for a computer read out.
Work got in the way and a week later it's time to go and see mom again.
Figured out that as long as I had a drink in the cup holder I couldn't see the flashing lights
as I spent as much time looking at them as I did the road.

On the return ride I stopped at my favorite little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant in San Antonio,
good food and an opportunity to let the rush hour traffic get through Tampa before I get there.

Couple of blocks from the restaurant I step on the rear brake and feel it fade,
lights are now flashing very rapidly, get her to a gas station,
check her over, brake fluid on the side of my tire.

It will be dark in an hour and I'm an hours ride from home,
do I ride it home with only a front brake (if it lasts) or do I call for a truck.

I decide that since I'm alone and all balls and no brain, I'll accept the risk and ride her home on the interstate,
still, this ride was very high on the pucker factor scale.

Next day I pull the right side cover of and find where it's leaking and why,
the rubber hose that goes to the rear caliper is fastened to a banjo fitting at the front,
problem is the hose is getting pulled at a right angle every time the rear wheel goes up and down,
this could have been avoided by simply putting a 90 at that end of the hose the way they put a 45 at the rear end,

I go digging through my shed and find the rear brake caliper and hose from my totaled 2002, it's the same,
I bolt it on, bleed the brakes from the ABS pump to the rear,
start her up and 5 ft down my drive she does the self test and clears the lights.

I think this might be a good time for me to go a head and order the Spiegler lines all the way around.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Apr 18th, 2014 at 1:55 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 18th, 2014, 4:54 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Flashing ABS lights (my turn)

Glad you got it figured out Hans . Personally if I bought the last year 2009 LT the first thing I would replace would be the brake lines with Spiegler brake lines. I can't even remember how many used BMW OEM brake lines I have shipped to other LT stranded riders that failed. The rear brake line seems to be the most common line to fail.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 18th, 2014, 5:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Flashing ABS lights (my turn)

Hans, when my rear line failed I had one custom built for just the reason you mentioned. My custom built line has the banjo rotated to be neutral with the bike loaded and has just enough extra length to keep the line from stressing. Poor design from the factory in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in