2005 K1200LT - Newbie Update - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

2005 K1200LT - Newbie Update

Greetings all! I have been lurking around for a bit and what a wealth of information everyone is... love it!. A couple years ago I purchased a 2002 K1200LT and loved it... rode the heck out of it. A few months ago, I ran across a 2005 from a one-owner - well maintained and relatively low miles (35K). Due to an accident he was unable to ride or maintain the bike. It needed it's 2 year maintenance, tires, the radio didn't work, alarm system was inop, no horn, or brake lights, and the EHCS didn't work (which is the main upgrade I was really after). However, overall, I knew the bike had been well cared for from the service maintenance records that he had on it from the local BMW dealership. After some lengthy negotiating, he accepted my final offer and I drove across the state - test drove it and brought it home.

The following Monday, I carried it down to my repair guy. He outfitted her with new Metzelers, changed all fluids, and trouble shot the horn and brake light to be tied into the alarm system and bypassed it till I can get a new alarm. He troubleshot the ECHS to be the small motor and said only option he had was to order a complete assembly from BMW unless I had the time to research which motor it was (within a half hour this site cross referenced the motor for me and I ordered it). So now I'm back on the road and she rides greeeeat! Just no radio, alarm system (which i didn't use on my previous bike), and no EHCS.

Every day, when I'd pull into the garage I would attempt to activate the HCS.. all I would hear is clicking from the relays.. then low-and-behold the darn thing worked and has for a few weeks now.. so now I'm down to Radio and Alarm system being the only thing left for her to be back at 100%. In research and speaking with a few other members, they recommended the SENA SMH10 as an intercom/Radio source. So I ordered a set and they work awesome! But I also want the bike a 100% so I've conversed with Baris and when the opportunity is there I will remove and ship the radio to him to upgrade the amp.

Ok... so finally - this brings me to the alarm system. I will repair it just because I like everything to be operational, my question is I've read that some backs have a central locking system that is activated via the alarm fob - how do I know if my bike has this option?

Sorry about the long winded read...

Cheers...!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_11.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	843.4 KB
ID:	53585  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 17th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Re: 2005 K1200LT - Newbie Update

as far as I know all of them have the central locking via FOB feature. Congrats on the new ride
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 17th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Garage

If IRCC, all of the alarms are activated by a fob. It is possible that the PO got into the system and effectively turned it off and tossed the fob. having an '00 prior with no alarm, the alarm on my '05 is just another step to go threw prior to launch.

I'd assume your Stealer can help you with it, trace the vin? order a new fob, etc...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 17th, 2014, 8:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That was an option that came on every bike anyway. But to really tell you need to pull the liner on the trunk and you will see a rectangular actuator near the latch. It looks similar to this one on the oddiments box (yellow circle).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Screw.JPG
Views:	1106
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	53705  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in