J-Peg Highway Pegs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

J-Peg Highway Pegs

Got my new JPegs in the mail today, set out to install them right after work. Took approximately 2.5 hours, mostly spent on modding the black plastic tip over protectors.

First thing is to replace the tip over bar with the new peg mounting bar, and reinstall the chrome plastic piece.

The black plastic piece has to be modded, a template is provided, see photo. Be advised the template is imprecise, holes were off about a quarter inch. When I did the second one, I mounted the plastic back on after I drilled the pilot holes, and was able to mark and redrill more precise ones. The hole saw was a tremendous help. You will have to do some trimming with a blade to complete the fit. I was wishing I had a dremel tool. I think in time I will make a complete cutout, instead of holes, so the plastic can be removed without removing the pegs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	53377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	730.5 KB
ID:	53385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	920.6 KB
ID:	53393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	936.9 KB
ID:	53401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	709.0 KB
ID:	53409  

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	767.3 KB
ID:	53417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	1510
Size:	769.0 KB
ID:	53425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	53433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	695.7 KB
ID:	53441  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwollman
02 K1200LT

Last edited by bmwollman; Apr 15th, 2014 at 11:30 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Re: J-Peg Highway Pegs

Unfortunately I didn't photograph the detent system installation. The orange tape covers a hole with a spring in it. You leave the tape in place until you finish the cover mod and are ready to install the peg, then remove it. It's also held in by a gob of grease. I added an additional gob of grease and stuck the ball bearing to it, then threaded the peg bolt and the silver sleeve pressed the ball bearing into the hole with the spring. Two screw holes in the surface of the silver sleeve act as detents for the open and closed positions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	996.7 KB
ID:	53449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1018.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	637.3 KB
ID:	53457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	695.7 KB
ID:	53465  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwollman
02 K1200LT
post #3 of 30 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Here's some photos of the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1023.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	53473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	803.2 KB
ID:	53481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	796.7 KB
ID:	53489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	53497  

bmwollman
02 K1200LT

post #4 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 5:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Brian, thanks for the pictures on your installation. Just out of curiosity, had you been able to take any longer rides on your '02 before deciding to get the J-pegs (not sure how long you've had the bike since you joined the group in the dead of winter and live in Colorado). Also, are you running a stock seat? I have an RDL and it provides a very comfortable riding position, even without the J-pegs and floorboards others have installed on their rides. The stock seat was a real pain last summer when I rode out your way - I was squirming, standing, and moving my legs all over just to get comfortable and thought about getting some J-pegs, but now I'm not sure they'd be worth the additional expense, since I got the RDL.
post #5 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 7:50 am

What is the RDL ?

Jim
post #6 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 8:15 am

Note: be sure to clean up the detent and clean re-grease it every few years. Mine are so jammed with road gunk that I had to dig everything out and spent 10 minutes in a parts washer to clean everything up and reassemble again. The grease felt like it was more grit than grease.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #7 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 8:52 am

I'm guessing Russell Day Long seat

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #8 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 11:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 for TeddyTelco!
post #9 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 11:23 am

Thanks for the write-up, I picked up a second hand set of j-pegs last year (which I still haven't had a chance to install ) and so I am at the disadvantage of not having instructions or a template. Seemed pretty straight forward to me, but this write-up will help me out I am sure. Now to find time...

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #10 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 11:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTelco View Post
I'm guessing Russell Day Long seat
Correct: http://www.day-long.com/gallery_BMW.html

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #11 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

I'm not sure what seat I have, I think it's an upgraded one, and it's very comfortable, but when I started riding the bike I found that after an hour or so my legs started screaming for a stretch, so I thought these would be the answer. Today I rode to work to try them out. They are up high, so it's quite an effort to get my feet up on them, and then I didn't really feel stretched anyway. They're definitely not the same laid-back feeling as my Harley ones. The web site said they have extended ones for over six footers, I am 5' 11", so I got the regular, but after trying them I think maybe the extended ones would be a better fit. I might contact them about an exchange. Hopefully, they'll give me some relief on extended rides.

I've attached the instructions and template for those of you with used ones that you need to install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JPeg Instr Page 1.pdf (1.15 MB, 108 views)
File Type: pdf JPeg Instr Page 2.pdf (981.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf JPeg Instr Template.pdf (718.4 KB, 94 views)

bmwollman
02 K1200LT
post #12 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 11:19 pm

I'm 5 11 and have the XL Jpegs, they fit nicely and allow a good stretch.

Looks like you ended up with an excellent install. After my install there was a 1/4" gap between the bumper cover and the trim piece. One day I'll order another bumper set and see if I can't eliminate that gap.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #13 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 11:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Brian again,

Could you post a picture of your seat? I'm curious how it looks, as my initial reaction after I got the bike was that the seat was comfortable too, but on trips over an hour or so, my bottom rebelled and legs couldn't get comfortable. My new seat cured all of that.
post #14 of 30 Old Apr 17th, 2014, 5:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwollman View Post
I'm not sure what seat I have, I think it's an upgraded one, and it's very comfortable, but when I started riding the bike I found that after an hour or so my legs started screaming for a stretch, so I thought these would be the answer. Today I rode to work to try them out. They are up high, so it's quite an effort to get my feet up on them, and then I didn't really feel stretched anyway. They're definitely not the same laid-back feeling as my Harley ones. The web site said they have extended ones for over six footers, I am 5' 11", so I got the regular, but after trying them I think maybe the extended ones would be a better fit. I might contact them about an exchange. Hopefully, they'll give me some relief on extended rides.

I've attached the instructions and template for those of you with used ones that you need to install.
The JPegs tend to give me cramps in my hips.

Try the Mick-O-Pegs. They have a more natural position. You can buy a kit to add them to your JPegs, or I can sell you my combo kit and you can recoup some of the cost by selling your existing JPegs.

Email me at aol.com if you want to discuss further.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 30 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: J-Peg Highway Pegs

Well, I got my replacement JPeg XL pegs today, installed and tried them in the garage, and I gotta say my initial reaction is PERFECT. They are much easier to get my feet up on, and feel much more relaxed and stretched than the standard ones. They do not feel nearly as high as the standard ones. My knees are slightly bent, and my calves are lightly resting on the black tip over covers. Hips feel great, were cramped on the standard ones. It's really an amazing difference from the standard size, I didn't expect this, very pleased. They feel similar to the highway pegs on my Harley. This is what I was hoping for when I ordered them initially. Again, I am 5' 11", 33-34 inch pants. The company (ascycles.com) gave me a free exchange. I guess I gotta pay for shipping back the old ones. Pardon the darkness of the photos, it's nightime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	54681   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	888.4 KB
ID:	54689   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	54697   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo10.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	54793   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo11.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	810.4 KB
ID:	54801  

bmwollman
02 K1200LT

Last edited by bmwollman; Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:39 pm.
post #16 of 30 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

JNW003, Here's a photo of my seat - I don't know if it's stock or not. It does get uncomfortable after an hour or so. Any suggestions on an upgrade? The heater is broken, so I don't have any problem getting rid of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	821.7 KB
ID:	54737  

bmwollman
02 K1200LT

Last edited by bmwollman; Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:08 am.
post #17 of 30 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 3:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Brian, thanks for posting a picture of your seat. That isn't a stock one and I'm not sure of what make it is, but know it's not a Russell Day Long like mine. The backrest is also aftermarket, maybe a Bak-Up backrest? The problem you would be faced with in upgrading the seat is that most of the aftermarket companies won't work on one that has already been modified (i.e., Russell won't use your seat pan if it had been modified by Rick Mayer, Corbin, or some other brand). You may have to buy a spare seat pan for your '02 to have them modify it. Another option would be to try an aftermarket covering that many people are happy with at a fraction of the cost of a new custom seat. Here's a picture of my RDL with it's matching RDL backrests. I ordered the RDL with leather seating surfaces & vinyl sides; the RDL backrest; and had the pillion seat & backrest recovered to match. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Russell Seat.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	54921  
post #18 of 30 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Hi Brian, thanks for posting a picture of your seat. That isn't a stock one and I'm not sure of what make it is, but know it's not a Russell Day Long like mine. The backrest is also aftermarket, maybe a Bak-Up backrest? The problem you would be faced with in upgrading the seat is that most of the aftermarket companies won't work on one that has already been modified (i.e., Russell won't use your seat pan if it had been modified by Rick Mayer, Corbin, or some other brand). You may have to buy a spare seat pan for your '02 to have them modify it. Another option would be to try an aftermarket covering that many people are happy with at a fraction of the cost of a new custom seat. Here's a picture of my RDL with it's matching RDL backrests. I ordered the RDL with leather seating surfaces & vinyl sides; the RDL backrest; and had the pillion seat & backrest recovered to match. Hope this helps!
That is a cadillac looking seat there. I think mine is a BMW upgrade option.

bmwollman
02 K1200LT
post #19 of 30 Old May 1st, 2014, 12:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo3 View Post
What is the RDL ?

Jim
Russell Day Long

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #20 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 9:05 am

Quote:
JNW003, Here's a photo of my seat - I don't know if it's stock or not. It does get uncomfortable after an hour or so. Any suggestions on an upgrade? The heater is broken, so I don't have any problem getting rid of it.

I have that seat also ... I think the tag under says Millers seat heat works fine i can get you the number if you want
post #21 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 10:06 am

Quote:
Well, I got my replacement JPeg XL pegs today, installed and tried them in the garage, and I gotta say my initial reaction is PERFECT. They are much easier to get my feet up on, and feel much more relaxed and stretched than the standard ones. They do not feel nearly as high as the standard ones. My knees are slightly bent, and my calves are lightly resting on the black tip over covers. Hips feel great, were cramped on the standard ones. It's really an amazing difference from the standard size, I didn't expect this, very pleased. They feel similar to the highway pegs on my Harley. This is what I was hoping for when I ordered them initially. Again, I am 5' 11", 33-34 inch pants. The company (ascycles.com) gave me a free exchange. I guess I gotta pay for shipping back the old ones. Pardon the darkness of the photos, it's nightime.
what is your final review on these pegs ! I`m concerned with the durability . Are they still as strong ?
Any rattles ?
Any negative feedback would be appreciated. The cost to import to canada is very high

Thanks for your reply

Louis
post #22 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 3:25 pm

I used the dremel on mine.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #23 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 4:44 pm

I have a set of J-pegs. Standard, not the extended ones. I found I don't use them very much.
I'm in the process of putting the bike back together; I'll ship 'em to anyone who wants them for 250$.
I can swap out tip over wing covers too since mine already have the cutout for the J-pegs.
Offer to be withdrawn as soon as I get the bike back together.
Send me a PM on this site if interested.
post #24 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 8:17 pm

PM sent.
post #25 of 30 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 1:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I used the dremel on mine.

Ok But what is your final user review

thanks

Louis
post #26 of 30 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 5:04 am

My bike had the J pegs when I bought it and they are way to high and hard to deploy. The Mick o pegs look to be a more comfortable option unfortunately they are much less attractive so I now just stop and stretch when the body starts to hurt.

Quote:

post #27 of 30 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
what is your final review on these pegs ! I`m concerned with the durability . Are they still as strong ?
Any rattles ?
Any negative feedback would be appreciated. The cost to import to canada is very high

Thanks for your reply

Louis
I've had J-Pegs on my bike for 70-80K miles.
Deployment: they can be deployed with the tip of a toe or by reaching down with a hand. Either way is a little bit of a stretch, but it's okay.
Retraction I always did with the heel of my boot.
Remember to retract them before stopping; there have been reports that things don't go well if they are deployed and you drop the bike.
Rugged: no rattles, plenty strong. No noticeable flexing when using the J-pegs to push yourself back in the seat.

Esthetics: they tuck out of the way unobtrusively when retracted.

Comfort: The position is a little high, which is why lots of folks opt for the Mick O Pegs. I am 5'10" and have the standard J-Pegs. I found that when using the J-Pegs I'd push back in the seat and lean back against my BackUp back rest, sort of slouching as in a recliner. It provided a nice change on long rides, but isn't the most natural riding position.

Durability and maintenance: J-Pegs are a rugged design but will collect road grime. I only cleaned them every 12K or so when I had the bike apart for 12K BMW "Inspection". I ride lots of dirt and gravel roads, my bike gets as dirty as any; while the J-Peg spring and ball assembly got plenty dirty they never became resistant to deployment. (Unlike the side stand which I find will bind up and need greasing more frequently).

I tested a set of Mick O Pegs: I found the riding position a little more relaxed. Reportedly the MickOPegs are very strong but they did flex under load when pushing against them.
And while I am in favor of "form follows function", I thought the MickOPegs looked funny.

That said, the combo of J-Pegs and MickOPegs is probably the best of both worlds for the long distance rider looking to stretch out. I never did it, but it is possible to add the MickOPegs to previously installed J-Pegs.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 31st, 2015 at 7:06 am.
post #28 of 30 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 7:47 am

I like mine. I am 5'8" I find them easy to use. Deploy and retract with my boot tip. I also find them sturdy & rattle free. I use them to stretch out but am never on them longer than 20 minutes at a time. I trade positions between pegs and upright factory mounts. It does help. You do slouch a bit using them. But that's not bad.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #29 of 30 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
I've had J-Pegs on my bike for 70-80K miles.
Deployment: they can be deployed with the tip of a toe or by reaching down with a hand. Either way is a little bit of a stretch, but it's okay.
Retraction I always did with the heel of my boot.
Remember to retract them before stopping; there have been reports that things don't go well if they are deployed and you drop the bike.
Rugged: no rattles, plenty strong. No noticeable flexing when using the J-pegs to push yourself back in the seat.

Esthetics: they tuck out of the way unobtrusively when retracted.

Comfort: The position is a little high, which is why lots of folks opt for the Mick O Pegs. I am 5'10" and have the standard J-Pegs. I found that when using the J-Pegs I'd push back in the seat and lean back against my BackUp back rest, sort of slouching as in a recliner. It provided a nice change on long rides, but isn't the most natural riding position.

Durability and maintenance: J-Pegs are a rugged design but will collect road grime. I only cleaned them every 12K or so when I had the bike apart for 12K BMW "Inspection". I ride lots of dirt and gravel roads, my bike gets as dirty as any; while the J-Peg spring and ball assembly got plenty dirty they never became resistant to deployment. (Unlike the side stand which I find will bind up and need greasing more frequently).

I tested a set of Mick O Pegs: I found the riding position a little more relaxed. Reportedly the MickOPegs are very strong but they did flex under load when pushing against them.
And while I am in favor of "form follows function", I thought the MickOPegs looked funny.

That said, the combo of J-Pegs and MickOPegs is probably the best of both worlds for the long distance rider looking to stretch out. I never did it, but it is possible to add the MickOPegs to previously installed J-Pegs.

Thanks for a ll your great comments. It will help

Thanks

Louis
post #30 of 30 Old Mar 27th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Garage

Thanks for the great photos of the installs. I was handed a set of parts this weekend and it didn't make sense until I saw I'm missing parts. I think I can cobble together what's needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in