New Battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 12:56 am Thread Starter

New Battery

Hi everyone, I just wish to pass on my little piece of good news. At the end of last season the LT had starting problems and the EHCS would not deploy just a flashing light on the dash. I kept the bike on its BMW tender all winter. This wk end I tied to start with no luck. Headlights very bright all functions lit up when key turned. I checked the voltage it showed 13.6 across the battery. Turned on ignition voltage drops to 12.4 tried starting no difference. Heard the click lights flickered slightly but no change. Returned to read the Clymers. Back to the bike and this time she starts? Switch off try again no go. Check voltage 10 volts. Pull battery, drive to town pick up an Odyssey PB680 slap it in and voila. Alls good even EHCS works fine. Who would have thought what looked like an OK battery was the problem. Now just to change all fluids ready for this season. That being said and I hate to ask buttt would some please advise on best oil filter? Read some horror stories on YouTube. And do we need a special removal tool or could I just drive a screwdriver throughout the old filter to twist off. Thank you

Richard

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 3:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New Battery

You will probably get a bunch of differing perspectives on what type/brand of oil filter to use. When I bought my LT almost a couple of years ago, I decided to buy an oil filter wrench for it, before I'd done any research on filter types. I bought the llium Works version off e-Bay and paid a premium price (and have never used it). However, I decided to use the K&N oil filters and got a good deal on them. They have an integral nut on the end of them so you don't need to buy any specialized wrench designed to fit in the tight space at the bottom of the engine. I also found an old Ritefit wrench that I had had for years that appears would also work that I probably have had from my MG days. So bottom line - can go with either the K&N and skip buying the filter wrench, or you can stick with the traditional BMW-type filter and also buy the special small wrench (in retrospect, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the Ilium if you can find a cheaper version that would work just as well). Good luck on your decisionÖ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Oil Filter Wrenches.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	53249  
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 9:18 am

Mobil 1 M1-102 Extended Performance Oil Filter is he one I use since I use mobil 1 earl. It's the same filter as my Tundra p/u

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 1:16 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the advice. I like the idea of the K&N with built in nut. For oil I have been using Kawasaki 100% synthetic in my old Triumph with good results. But that was a wet clutch so now I will give the Mobil 1 a try. Thank you both again. By the way JNW003 I like the look of your seat, looks real comfy.

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 8:33 am

Had similar experience with battery. I also installed Odyssey battery and have had the battery now for about a year and I love it.
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 8:54 am

Honestly, motorcycle batteries need to be replaced every 2 to 3 years. Our batteries are so undersized that they take a lot of abuse. I once had a motorcycle battery that tested just fine until you put a hard load on it, it would drop down to 6 volts with any load over 10 amps but bounce right back up as soon as the load was gone.

This was on a battery that was only 2 months old, so suspect even a "new" battery if you are having starting problems.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

I am really pleased also with this new battery. Spins the engine so fast compared to old one. She fires up right now. The guy in the store told me these batteries have a shelf life fully charged for two years. Warranty is four years and should last up to seven years compared to regular ones only lasting 3 to 4 maxs with just one year warranty. The part the annoys me was when I bought this from a dealer used last year he promised a new battery. Turns out the one he put on was over seven years old it was Yuasa. Well at least now I have piece of mind for when I am away from home. The cost here in Canada was $147 plus tax, not bad for the enjoyment I get from the bike. Love my LT

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Hi everyone, I just wish to pass on my little piece of good news. At the end of last season the LT had starting problems and the EHCS would not deploy just a flashing light on the dash. I kept the bike on its BMW tender all winter. This wk end I tied to start with no luck. Headlights very bright all functions lit up when key turned. I checked the voltage it showed 13.6 across the battery. Turned on ignition voltage drops to 12.4 tried starting no difference. Heard the click lights flickered slightly but no change. Returned to read the Clymers. Back to the bike and this time she starts? Switch off try again no go. Check voltage 10 volts. Pull battery, drive to town pick up an Odyssey PB680 slap it in and voila. Alls good even EHCS works fine. Who would have thought what looked like an OK battery was the problem. Now just to change all fluids ready for this season. That being said and I hate to ask buttt would some please advise on best oil filter? Read some horror stories on YouTube. And do we need a special removal tool or could I just drive a screwdriver throughout the old filter to twist off. Thank you

Richard
Did you mean PC680 battery?

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
Honestly, motorcycle batteries need to be replaced every 2 to 3 years. Our batteries are so undersized that they take a lot of abuse. I once had a motorcycle battery that tested just fine until you put a hard load on it, it would drop down to 6 volts with any load over 10 amps but bounce right back up as soon as the load was gone.

This was on a battery that was only 2 months old, so suspect even a "new" battery if you are having starting problems.
Hmn...before picking up my LT I rode a ī92 Honda Revere for 6 years, mounted heated grips and a Garmin Zumo GPS on the bike. I NEVER had a starting issue with the bike. I even left the battery in place when it went into winter storage ( I live in Denmark, and yes, it does get cold here)...started it once or twice during winter, no probs...think it was a "Yahusa" battery...as you may see, it is not always needed to change the battery every 2-3 years...but I guess it is different from brand/model to brand/model...just my 5 cents worth...;-)

Previous bikes:
1949 Nibus 750 cc, 4-in-line, shaft drive
1960īies Vespa 125
2007 Yamaha YBR 125
1992 Honda Revere
1998 BMW K 1200 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in