ABS Pump Running Intermittently with key off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2014, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Question ABS Pump Running Intermittently with key off

The bike is a 2009 LT. When I turn the key off and hit the front or rear brake the abs pump activates just like when the bike is running. The other problem is the pump will turn on at any time and drain the battery. I borrowed a GS911 and found I have a code 17919 (Fault Occurred during recognized voltage drop). Does anyone know what causes this code or had this problem? It almost sounds like a relay is not releasing. I asume the relay is internal to the ABS module?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2014, 7:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: ABS Pump Running Intermittently with key off

Unfortunately there are no relays involved in powering the ABS unit. The main power to feed the unit is on a line from the battery and alternator. This is constant power. The unit should not "wake up" until switched power is applied so either you have a problem with your switched power circuits or a problem with the ABS unit.

If you are up for some troubleshooting and have a meter you can pull the big connector on top of the ABS unit and find both pin 5, with a Gray/Black wire, and pin 3, with a green wire. These are the two switched power leads at the unit. There should be no voltage here with the key off and voltage should be there only in the on position. It is a starting point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS Con.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	53009  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2014, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

As you suggested I checked 5, and pin 3. Key on 12 volts. Key off 0 Volts. I thought it was fixed when I re-installed the abs connector back on the module. Everything appeared normal. Came back into the garage 1/2 hour later I could hear the pump running on it's own.
I'm thinking of having the pump rebuild. Is that a good idea or should I go new ? Will I be able to bleed the system on my own once I have the abs module repaired or will it require dealer service? I've changed the fluid myself for the last three years. This is the first year I didn't change fluid due to the fact I only put 3000 miles on the bike. Thanks you very much for the info. Kind of thought it was the module but wasn't really sure.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2014, 10:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't know of any shops that have successfully rebuilt this version of the ABS module. So your choices are limited. I guess one more thing you could do to isolate it to the unit is to apply 12 volts to the pin 2 connector pin ON the unit itself. This would simulate the unswitched power and no other inputs to the ABS and if the pumps run again you will have a positive answer that the unit is bad. It can be a small wire that will open like a fuse if the pumps run.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 8:49 am Thread Starter

I took the connector off the ABS applied power to pin 2 nothing happened. Placed the plug back on the ABS module connected the battery the bike starts up normal ABS appears to be working normally. Shut the bike off hit the brake and you can hear the servo working. I believe what BMW changed was an ABS relay for a FET(Field Effect Transistor) to save money. I can ride the bike and the ABS appears to be working normal. www.modulemaster.com appears to have a rebuilt unit available in June of 2014 or I may call MAX BMW where I bought the bike and see what they'll charge for a ABS Module. If I do take out the ABS unit will I be able to bleed the system? I realize if it's possible it will require a number of repetitions from front to back brakes to get all the air out of the system. I've replaced all the lines on a Ford F150 pick up with ABS but this system is entirely different. Again thanks for the help.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 1:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is not a difficult process to bleed the unit when you replace it. There are three ports each for front and rear control circuits on the ABS unit and you have to cycle through the three is specific order doing the first one a second time.

The wheel circuits are a snap to do as you use the pump motors to move the fluid out to the calipers.

Not sure what relay the dealer changed as there are only two associated with the ABS and they are the warning relay and the brake light relay and they are all driven by the ABS unit.

That is good news from Module Masters (but we have heard it before). The main issue is parts availability since BMW never intended to repair the units.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Where the short appears to be intermittent I decide to run a fused 12 volt supply to pin 2 with the connector off and the battery connected. I used a 1.6 amp fuse as I was afraid of the leads heating up and causing a fire if I wasn't around. I sat and watched the fuse for 5 minutes. The fuse did not blow. Went back in the house and above a 1/2 later checked the fuse. It was blown! Looks like the ABS module is defective. The good news is Tyler at modulemaster.com said he can fix the electronics. The electronics can be separated from the module and sent out for repair. I'll keep out informed of the results.

Thanks for the help
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 10:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is good news. Keep us posted on how they do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 10 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: ABS Pump Running Intermittently with key off

Update just finished installing the ABS pump and it works like a charm! Having sent just the circuit board to Tyler at Modulemaster.com they discovered corrosion of the circuit board which was the cause for the pump to run intermittently. Four screws separate the electronics from the pump. The cables to the pump are all plastic connectors that can be easily removed. I would definitely separate the two before I purchased a new ABS pump.
Before I sent the circuit board to ModuleMaster.com I did see a trace of corrosion on the board. I'm still amazed that was my problem. Thanks for all your help
post #10 of 10 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is good news and I will file this data away for future reference. Yes the board is quite easy to remove so that should be a "go here first" rule when strange behavior is noted in the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics internal board 6.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	55537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overview 1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	55545  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in