electrical nightmare, again, closer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

electrical nightmare, again, closer

Howdy, we are getting closer as we got a Clymer manuel finally. The mechanic has traced the problem to the load relief relay, page 307, relay #B. What happens is that we now turn on the key and all lights are working correctly on the dashboard, turn off key all lights still there working with out ABS flashing. Disconnect the small green lead and lights go out.

What is weird is that you can repeat the procedure and just remove the relay and lights go out but when you push the relay back in the lights do not come back on. Next step is to check connection of all small green wires in harness going to under the dash, some of them actually are the same color.

Starter button at no point works.
Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Re: electrical nightmare, again, closer

I installed a relay for extra lights on my bike picking up switched power from the rear seat heat connector, used a local ground instead of battery ground, the slave relay would pull in at random times when the key was off, when I ran the ground to the battery problem stopped - do you have any additional electrical devices wired on the bike?

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 11:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK the load relief relay gets its 12 v from that small green wire (switched power) . That means there should be no voltage on the loose green wire until the switch is turned on. Also that relay gets its ground from the starter motor. It however is not affecting your starter operation.

So if you have 12 v on that loose green wire with the key off you need to find where it is touching a red wire in the loom. I am assuming that the ignition switch has been checked for switched power.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Ok , thanks guys, no extra power hooked up to anything. In fact I am lucky to have a radio LOL. Will check out green wire tomorrow and then get to switch loom which is really where I believe the problem is. We were just not understanding what a relay does either, was trying to explain what it was to Mexican mechanic with little or no luck.
I think he has the green wire hooked up possibly crossed with another one at this time. Most likely will have him start on the switch area next
Thank you , I know I ask allot but I only got to drive the bike about 500 miles after I purchased it and me wife is thinking, well you know what I mean.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2014, 4:20 am

What you have created, inadvertently, is called a latching relay. When you feed power down the green wire it energizes the relay and the relay closes circuits and powers lights, pumps, etc. What is happening is that there is a new circuit path so that the switched part of the relay is now powering the green wire and keeping the relay energized.

What you need to do is determine which circuit from the relay is powering the green wire. somewhere along the path between the key switch and the load shed relay the green wire is shorted to another power wire, find it and this problem is solved.

53 MPG and life just keeps getting better

2001 Triumph Sprint ST [sold]
2000 K1200LT 'Nimitz'
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The load shed relay supplies most of the non-engine critical loads with power when the key is turned on. 12 V is fed to one side of the coil and the other side is connected to the starter motor. Normally this completes the circuit and the relay closes supplying that power. When you hit the starter button the starter relay applies 12 V to the starter and thus 12 V to the other end of the load shed relay coil. With 12 v on both sides of the coil it releases the relay during cranking and re-engages when you release the starter button (removing 12 v from the starter). Thus shedding the "load" during the starting evolution.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2014, 11:29 pm Thread Starter

Will probably get it back home after another day or two. Mechanic has reached the end of his knowledge, I will check out some of these suggestions myself. It is good to know some of the pathways and what some of the relays are supposed to do.
So far when you hit the starter button nothing happens. You can short across the starter relay and it turns over, so some good news. I am thinking that it is most likely in the kill switch or starter button area as we have been able to inspect the wiring to the ignition switch.
Good news is that if all else fails we can get the bike to the Mainland where there is a real BMW dealer/mechanic with a scope to check for faults. Just found that out.
My problem has been not stepping on the mechanics toes to not piss him off as he may be the most qualified guy on the island for future repairs.
However time flies when you cannot ride, and not in a good way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in