Hit and run in parking garage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Hit and run in parking garage

Well I guess there's a first time for everything. Came out of a LA Fitness in Tampa into the attached parking garage to find my bike laying on the right side. I had backed into a spot and the slope was higher in the front and on the right side, so the weight was on the side stand. So at first I was really puzzled: how did the bike fall up hill? Wasn't until I got home and noticed scuff marks on the front fairing. Someone had backed into the bike knocking it over. Most significant damage was the jpeg punching into the lower fairing.

Getting it back up was a pain because it started to roll down hill a bit. I managed to get it steady enough to deploy the center stand.

I'll call tomorrow to see if there is any video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:22 am

Re: Hit and run in parking garage

that sux hope there is secuity cameras

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 2:27 pm

That really draws a vacuum.

I hate cage drivers who park over the lines when adjacent to my bike. That kind of complacency can lead to knocking over a bike.
Buffoons don't care that they still have the responsibility to park straight within their spot. Just because my vehicle leaves more space around it is not license for them to park like a fool.
Sometimes I want to just move my bike elsewhere so they really look like a jerk/numbskull who can't park their cage.

Since you mention your bike started rolling when you were uprighting it, I conclude it was not in gear. Not sure if parking it in gear would have prevented the knockover this time, but it's always a good idea to park in gear (although when on the centerstand it will have no effect).

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Garage

That's a bummer
Video surveillance is your best bet. Also a police report is worth immediate attention. Are there definite indications that it was hit. Could someone have either bumped into it while loading or unloading their own vehicle or actually sitting on it and not being familiar with its muscle dropped it. In the disgust of all this did you take any phone pictures.
My parking posture is to be in the middle of the lines and as close to the front of the spot as possible that way a driver does not think the is available on first drive and immediately try pulling in or even backing in until "Oops" Lets hope there were cameras there working in your favor.
ride safe
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. One can only hope the security video idea works for you, and the numbnut has a visit from karma.

In addition to the other good advice above, I would add: never park in the middle of an empty lot. A friend of mine did that on a trip a couple of years ago. He was literally 100' from anything. I pulled up next to the building we were going into. Some guy backed into him, knocking his bike over and going a few thousand $$ in damage, BUT he had the integrity to come inside and find out who the bike belonged to.

Good luck with the repairs.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Garage

Not suggesting this was your situation
But check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/three-sm...142158249.html

Not only were cars flipped but there is a scooter also lay down in the video.
There are crazies out there.
ride safe
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Garage

You have to be extremely careful where you park.
You cannot park way back into a space.
As the idiots in cars and trucks some racing into the space not knowing a bike is in it. If you are out toward the front of the space, your bike can be more easily seen.
There is always a possibility for vandalism.
But this seems like some idiot on the opposite row of spaces backing into your bike.
Unfortunately, the video, if any, if they give it to you probably won't show a license number clearly enough.
And law enforcement, if anything like here will pay zero attention to it if there is a plate visible.
dc

PS Thanks for posting. It is true I am paranoid, but they are out to knock our bikes over.

2008 R1200 RT
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2014, 12:12 am

Garage

Did you ever get to the bottom of this mystery?
Did the cameras catch anything?
Update when you could.
ride safe
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2014, 6:30 pm

If they'll even let you look at the video. Often times they say "police only". Before I retired I had a stolen auto report and there was only a 90 minute window for the theft and they had video right there! There was an officer who lived in and worked for the apartment complex and they told him only the investigating officer or detective would be allowed. I showed up and was told that "someone from corporate would have to approve and it might take a while". All I wanted was a DVD! I came back later in the afternoon with a search warrant to seize the entire video system so that our computer unit could use it to look for the theft. The magistrate read the affidavit and thought it was great! You wouldn't believe how quickly I got a DVD. Of course my LT who only had uniform experience made me out to be a bad guy.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #10 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Garage

I know there are rules
But why at times people make things so difficult. The officer living in the complex could have been afforded access to view the video. Even when you showed with the proper ID same could have been done. It took a warrant to get more than what you originally wanted and perhaps prolong the investigation.
C'est la vie
ride safe
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
I know there are rules
But why at times people make things so difficult. The officer living in the complex could have been afforded access to view the video. Even when you showed with the proper ID same could have been done. It took a warrant to get more than what you originally wanted and perhaps prolong the investigation.
C'est la vie
ride safe
It was even their off duty officer they had make the DVD because he was the only one who knew how. There excuse for the runaround was "liability reasons". The off duty guy thought it was hilarious. I did it to make a point. They even called corporate to see if they had to surrender the equipment because I had a warrant that said to! She asked "What if I don't let him take it?" Don't have "security cameras" and then not use them for their purpose. My affidavit even said they could provide me the DVD on the disc I supplied in lieu of taking the equipment. Sadly there was nothing of evidentiary value on the DVD.

Hijack over. Back to the original post........

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips.

There is no surveilance video, so the repair will be on me. In this instance I believe someone backed into the bike. I was parked in the first spot on the right of a landing going up to the next level. I parked close to the line, so there was plenty of space between me and the next parking spot. Perhaps someone was coming up from level 1 to level 2 and made a right turn, then hit my bike. But I think that is unlikely, as I parked further back in the spot.

Having the bike in gear would have made no difference. The bike was knocked up the incline and that would have taken a lot of force. Normally I do park further forward, as I've heard stories about cars thinking a spot is vacant only to hit a bike after pulling in.

I have a very sick family member right now and I don't have any spare energy to be angry about this. Life is too short. So I'll just keep moving along and enjoying the ride

Be safe guys and gals.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 12th, 2014, 12:12 am

Garage

Doubly bad news
Family is number one though so you are right to put the other aside. Just wish the bike situation never happened. Turn some of that anger into comfort for you family and hopefully all will be well.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in