Hitches.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Hitches..

I have a Single wheel trailer that I built over the past year that is like the http://n-line.com/products/single-wh...cycle-trailer/ N-Line trailer.

What would be the best hitch? Should I get a UniGo hitch and build my receiver for that mount plate they have? or should U get a bushtech and just use the Ball mount Adapter I already have?

My worry about the bushtech is that it is not designed at all for a single wheel trailer that has rotational loading while the Uni-Go hitch looks like it could barely hold a six pack of beer in weight.

Anyone have any experience with either hitch? or better yet anyone pull the larger N-Line style trailer?

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Re: Hitches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
I have a Single wheel trailer that I built over the past year that is like the http://n-line.com/products/single-wh...cycle-trailer/ N-Line trailer.

What would be the best hitch? Should I get a UniGo hitch and build my receiver for that mount plate they have? or should U get a bushtech and just use the Ball mount Adapter I already have?

My worry about the bushtech is that it is not designed at all for a single wheel trailer that has rotational loading while the Uni-Go hitch looks like it could barely hold a six pack of beer in weight.

Anyone have any experience with either hitch? or better yet anyone pull the larger N-Line style trailer?
Hi Tim,

I have used the Bushtec and the Dauntless hitch on my LT and just the Dauntless on my RT. I have not pulled a single wheel trailer with either but here is my 2 cents on the different hitches.

The Dauntless is a much cleaner install and the visible part un-clips and removes when not in use. It also allows for tire changes by swinging up out of the way to roll the tire out the back. I have pulled my Bunkhouse camper(450 LB loaded) with both of these hitches with no problems

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/hitches/hitches-for-bmw/

The Bushtec is probably just a bit more heavy duty but is a total PITA when you have a flat on the road. It must be taken off to remove the rear tire without a lift. If you get this one be sure to carry 2ea 9/16 combination wrenches in your tool kit.

HTH,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Tim,
Dauntless for me without a doubt. I have both the '99 LT and the 2007 LT and both have had the Dauntless on them. To change the tire on either, I just put it on the center stand and remove the two pins from the underside of the hitch and pull the hitch Ball assembly out of the tubes. Then I remove the stem from the tire and let it get totally flat. Then I remove the bolts from the wheel assembly and remove the wheel and tire. I have to squeeze the tire a bit or get the lean just right, but then it rolls out.

So changing a tire with the Dauntless is simple. I don't know a thing about the single wheel trailers so hope this on the hitch helps you in the decision.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 8:09 pm

+1 on the dauntless, works great with unigo trailer

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 6:55 pm

I agree, Dauntless all the way.

I have pulled an Aspen Sentry, and a Home made cargo trailer and have had no problems except for lower gas millage.

+1 on the Dauntless.

Bowdon
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Talking Re: Hitches..

I have a unigo hitch on my rt and I pull a unigo trailer with it... no problems with hitch, it is fine, I dont think a tire change would be big deal..

On my lt it has a bushtech hitch that I pull a bush tech trailer and it pull like a dream...

I am going to rig an adaptor to pull the unigo trailer with the lt bushtech hitch... just for grins..
I saw a lady pulling a bushtech trailer with a r1150rt like mine one time but it looked like a load..not sure I will try that...

Either hitch will be fine.

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in