Hyperpro Steering Damper Install Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Hyperpro Steering Damper Install Question

I recently ordered a Hyperpro steering damper to fix a wobble. The wobble is still there, but it is greatly reduced. I have some theories on it, but haven't gotten to the fixes yet. I digress.

My question on the steering damper. When I took the old stock damper off the bushings on the swingarm (the stick end) were badly deteriorated and worn. I ordered new ones from the dealer, as these are the only things that have to be reused with the Hyperpro. The dealer sent me two rubber bushings and two sleeves. I took off two washers (about 1 1/2 diameter), and two badly worn rubber bushings. The washers were sandwiching the stick end with the bushings between them and stick. This is going on a 99 LT with 110,000 miles.

My question: Are the sleeves are replacement for the washers? Are the washers an addition from a previous owner, or are sleeves not needed and I put it back with the bushings and washers? If I am to use all 3 components (sleeves, bushings, and washers), in what order would they go onto the bike?

Also, if anyone wants a good factory steering damper core, let me know. Dan M. gets first dibs.

Thanks,

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Hyperpro Steering Damper Install Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep View Post
I recently ordered a Hyperpro steering damper to fix a wobble. The wobble is still there, but it is greatly reduced. I have some theories on it, but haven't gotten to the fixes yet. I digress.

My question on the steering damper. When I took the old stock damper off the bushings on the swingarm (the stick end) were badly deteriorated and worn. I ordered new ones from the dealer, as these are the only things that have to be reused with the Hyperpro. The dealer sent me two rubber bushings and two sleeves. I took off two washers (about 1 1/2 diameter), and two badly worn rubber bushings. The washers were sandwiching the stick end with the bushings between them and stick. This is going on a 99 LT with 110,000 miles.

My question: Are the sleeves are replacement for the washers? Are the washers an addition from a previous owner, or are sleeves not needed and I put it back with the bushings and washers? If I am to use all 3 components (sleeves, bushings, and washers), in what order would they go onto the bike?

Also, if anyone wants a good factory steering damper core, let me know. Dan M. gets first dibs.

Thanks,

Robert
Not familiar with Hyperpro but done / maintained the original one. As for the wobble: That is not normal in -99er. You are now fixing the symptom, not the problem. Newer (facelift) LTs are famous for wobbling but not yhe older ones. The only case when I have heard of such was a case of bad tyre.

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

I just put new tires on, with no correction. I believe that the rear shock is sagging and messing with the steering angles.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep View Post
I just put new tires on, with no correction. I believe that the rear shock is sagging and messing with the steering angles.
I just went through this same problem. The cause of my wobble went away after I re-torqued the FD adjustable pin to 11MN (recommended by Chris Harris).
Check to see if you have any side to side movement of the final drive by doing the 3 o'clock/9 o'clock test. If you have movement that is accompanied by a slight clunk, try adjusting the pivot pin.
It's amazing how just a little bit of play in the FD can effect handling.

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 9:02 am

Please don't see this as being pedantic, but just to avoid confusion where it may exist, FatStrat is probably referencing a torque of 11Nm.

In the SI metric system the unit for torque is Newton-meter, and the symbol used is Nm. The symbol for the unit of Newton is a capital N, and the symbol for the unit of a meter is a lower-case m. Also in the metric system, the capital M is used to depict a quantity or a grouping size of a million and is placed before the unit of measure, meaning that 11MN would refer to a force of 11,000,000 N (not a torque).

Now if the US will just convert to the SI, it would make life a lot simpler! At least that's my conviction.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 10:56 am

actually manufacturing in the US went metric before we did, forced Canada to go metric, difference is the huge number of complaints stopped the use of metric where the consumer could see it, my 91 Taurus which was made in the US was completely metric. There are only a couple of sockets which are different - 15 does not match up with a common inches size, you need a 64ths size socket which I had to buy for VW head bolts back in the 70's when metric tools were not available.

the majority of cars manufactured today are "world cars" and are all metric no matter where they or their parts are made

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2014, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

I'll check the final drive (it was recently rebuilt by a dealer while I was on the road).

The question was about the steering damper, not the socioeconomic impact of the metric system. Anyone?
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2014, 1:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You may be right about the steering angle. Find another LT with good springs and sit on it, measure both bikes at the same point. I bet yours is at least 1.5" lower in the back.

Thanks for the first dibs on your old damper. But I am sure I have at least one spare already.

Dan M.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2014, 3:24 pm
cws

Garage

You should have gotten the printed instruction sheet with the Hyperpro kit.... If not it's online at http://www.hyperpro.ws/pdfs/Damper-I...n-BMWK1200.pdf
It shows where to use the original spacers x2 and washer x1 with the new M8x45 screw on the diagram.
Hope this answers your original question?
Fuzzy pic of mine
Hyperpro Steering Damper Install Question-imageuploadedbymo-free1397071406.021582.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2014, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
You should have gotten the printed instruction sheet with the Hyperpro kit.... If not it's online at http://www.hyperpro.ws/pdfs/Damper-I...n-BMWK1200.pdf
It shows where to use the original spacers x2 and washer x1 with the new M8x45 screw on the diagram.
Hope this answers your original question?
Fuzzy pic of mine
Attachment 52641

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

EXCELLENT!! Thank you so much. The version of installation instructions has a different diagram.
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2014, 2:56 pm
Sit

I recently replaced my shocks and at the same time I replaced the ball joint dealy-bob on the lower bridge fork. I don't know if it was the shocks or the ball joint, by my head shake at 40 mph is gone.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in