Steering Damper - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 8:39 am Thread Starter

Steering Damper

With the bike on the center stand, and the weight off of the front wheel (supported with a jack), if I steer left to right rather aggressively, the damper comes into effect about 1/3 of the way to the steer lock. Should the effect be immediate?
What are the symptoms of a defective steering damper? Might this cause an oscillation?
John Baker...I might be riding up in the fall. We might be able to have that cup of coffee. I'll keep you posted.

FS

PS,
John Z...Heal well Brother.

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Re: Steering Damper

That is the way it should work. Not 1/3rd though, should be something more like 1/4th. It should have no affect for small moves, it is to stop oscillation at the normal frequency of the steering from developing into a "tank slapper".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
That is the way it should work. Not 1/3rd though, should be something more like 1/4th. It should have no affect for small moves, it is to stop oscillation at the normal frequency of the steering from developing into a "tank slapper".
Okay then...damper is as i should be. Gonna re-torque the pivot pins to 10-12 NM (as Chris Harris suggests) and see if that does anything.

Thanks...

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 4:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatStrat View Post
With the bike on the center stand, and the weight off of the front wheel (supported with a jack), if I steer left to right rather aggressively, the damper comes into effect about 1/3 of the way to the steer lock. Should the effect be immediate?
What are the symptoms of a defective steering damper? Might this cause an oscillation?
John Baker...I might be riding up in the fall. We might be able to have that cup of coffee. I'll keep you posted.

FS

PS,
John Z...Heal well Brother.
Most steering dampers are sensitive to velocity, not displacement. They should not have much affect on even aggressive steering. They should only kick in for unusually high velocity such as hitting something on the side of the tire or a rapid dynamic instability oscillation. It is simply taking you 1/3 of the way to get enough velocity to activate the damping.

With the bike well supported and with a well padded glove, try giving one grip a really sharp rap with your palm. Don't break your hand or tip the bike over, but I am guessing you will feel resistance much sooner.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Most steering dampers are sensitive to velocity, not displacement. They should not have much affect on even aggressive steering. They should only kick in for unusually high velocity such as hitting something on the side of the tire or a rapid dynamic instability oscillation. It is simply taking you 1/3 of the way to get enough velocity to activate the damping.

With the bike well supported and with a well padded glove, try giving one grip a really sharp rap with your palm. Don't break your hand or tip the bike over, but I am guessing you will feel resistance much sooner.
Aha...it is as you say. Assuming that the damper is as it should be, I went looking in other areas. Doing the 3 and 9 o'clock wiggle test, there was a slight movement, augmented with a slight clunk from the FD unit. I then watched a Chris Harris video where he claims that BMW was a little conservative with the pivot pin torque values. He suggests 10-12 NM instead of 7NM that BMW recommends. I set the torque on the pivot pins to 11NM and went for a ride, doing many stops and starts in the process. The problem has disappeared. There is peace in the valley again! The problem was so bad prior to the fix that I was bordering on vertigo from the chaotic motion.
After doing a search on this subject, I found that I'm not alone with this oscillation and wobble business. This was an easy, no cost fix. I would recommend that you guys that have this problem to eventually work this adjustment into your criteria while searching for the cure. Worked for me.

post #6 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Pivot pins ? Are we talking about the damper unit attachments here, or is this about the steering pivots ? Torque values are quite low so I am curious.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis View Post
Pivot pins ? Are we talking about the damper unit attachments here, or is this about the steering pivots ? Torque values are quite low so I am curious.
My apologies. I should have explained better. After eliminating the damper as the source of the oscillation / wobble, I began to look in other areas. I found a small amount of side to side play in the FD using the 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock test. Having pulled the drain plug on the FD and saw no evidence of a failure I then re-torqued the adjustable FD pivot pin to 11NM. No more wobble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in