Installing TPS sensor in 00 front rim - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Installing TPS sensor in 00 front rim

I finally got around to putting together my "Teats-on-a-bull" HarborFreight manual tire changer.

After I finally got the old tire off I tried installing the TPS and discovered that the way it was supplied would not work.

Normal tire valves have a bulb with a notch cut out, one pulls the bulb through the rim from the inside out--the bulb snaps into place.

with the TPS thers isn't a bulb, a rubber gasket on the TPS that fits into the recess inside the rim and straight shaft that supports the small shaft to attach the chuck to install air. the TPS is supplied with a nut that is thinner than normal for a bolt of that diameter.

when I clamped the nut down as far as it would go into the recess on the outside of the rim, it wasn't enough to solidly seal the TPS.

since I'm from New England, and its Yankee tradition to NEVER throw anything away that might be possible used in the future, I started poking around, no suitable washers, but I did find some rubber washes that needed to be trimmed. It might have been since it was past later at night into early morning that I tried trimming one down into a circle that would fit the recess, but to do so, I had to also trim the inside of the washer to slid over the TPS shaft. Trimming the inside was maddening as was trying to get a circle for the OD. I just held the nut against the washer, took a single edge razor and cut it down to the size of the nut and was able to push/thread the washer over the TPS.

Trying to do the same with the TPS in the rim with limited access around the TPS shaft......I gave up and went to bed.

Next day I was poking around some more and spied little crush washers for the brake line fittings. One easily slid over the TPS shaft and looked just wide enough to catch the rim. One wasn't enough so I looked for another and spied a bag I have of extra crush washers for when I change all fluids. i poked around with them and found some a little larger than the brake line ones and smaller than the ones for FD, trany, etc.

Perfect size and height when I used two of them that allowed enough threads above the shaft for the nut to grab a hold of and tighten down so that everything is solid.

Pixs appended

Best from t'son
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InstalledTPS (Small).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	52225   Click image for larger version

Name:	CrushringDiameter (Small).JPG
Views:	45
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	52233   Click image for larger version

Name:	TPSDiameter (Small).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	52241  

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in