99 lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

99 lt

Well after only a few months with the bike I must say that I do not like it. I tried to love this bike, but I can't adjust to having my arms so low. I tried to raise the bars up but there is just not enough adjustment for me to feel comfortable on it.
Thank you to all I have chatted with about how to fix things on this bike. Anyone in the market for one drop me a message. I'm in ohio
Ride safe !
T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Garage
Re: 99 lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMR12B View Post
Well after only a few months with the bike I must say that I do not like it. I tried to love this bike, but I can't adjust to having my arms so low. I tried to raise the bars up but there is just not enough adjustment for me to feel comfortable on it.
Thank you to all I have chatted with about how to fix things on this bike. Anyone in the market for one drop me a message. I'm in ohio
Ride safe !
T
Sorry to hear that. Used to those cruisers, are you?
Good luck on your sale.

It was cool to see that 12B.
Former 36B - (but you don't remember those do you?) in an Engineer Company.

Doug B.
2000 LT purchased July 2013
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:10 pm

I suffered through man, many miles wishing I could adjust the handle bars, and was able to alter their position by loosening their clamps, which didn't help my desire to have them closer to me.

If you scan the early segment of our community files you'll find a fellow that cut the bars and inserted a dowel between the cuts to position the bars where he wanted.--I remember he was a fire fighter.

One day a community member sent me a note that after he bought a back rest he no longer felt uncomfortable with the handle bars.

So, before I left Maine for home here in tucson, AZ I bought a back rest--end of problem.

If you scan some more, you'll find a fellow who motorized the adjustment for his back rest, Ari the farkel freak.

Before you bail, consider buy a back rest. The other absolutely necessary for me was an after market seat.

If you are not running a GPS, there is a mod, soldering a jumper wire on a printed circuit board, that makes your speedometer accurate!!

Best from t'son
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb131 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Used to those cruisers, are you?
Good luck on your sale.

It was cool to see that 12B.
Former 36B - (but you don't remember those do you?) in an Engineer Company.
I was a 12B from 1987-1994. Sorry I don't remember what a 36B was. As far as the sale goes thanks I'm going to need it. Took it to trade in at a dealer and was offerd 1500 bucks trade in. Wow ! Not much value there. Might just part it out
T
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 9:10 am

Someone would have gotten a shock if they offered me $1500 for my bike. If it's running and in one piece it should be worth double that in my opinion.
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstan26 View Post
Someone would have gotten a shock if they offered me $1500 for my bike. If it's running and in one piece it should be worth double that in my opinion.
They got one. I will part it out or let it sit here for that money.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa View Post
I suffered through man, many miles wishing I could adjust the handle bars, and was able to alter their position by loosening their clamps, which didn't help my desire to have them closer to me.

If you scan the early segment of our community files you'll find a fellow that cut the bars and inserted a dowel between the cuts to position the bars where he wanted.--I remember he was a fire fighter.

One day a community member sent me a note that after he bought a back rest he no longer felt uncomfortable with the handle bars.

So, before I left Maine for home here in tucson, AZ I bought a back rest--end of problem.

If you scan some more, you'll find a fellow who motorized the adjustment for his back rest, Ari the farkel freak.

Before you bail, consider buy a back rest. The other absolutely necessary for me was an after market seat.

If you are not running a GPS, there is a mod, soldering a jumper wire on a printed circuit board, that makes your speedometer accurate!!

Best from t'son
Bob
My biggest problems with this bike are- 1. The bars are just to low puts pressure on my shoulders. 2. Sitting with my legs up underneath me an no where to move them,even with j-pegs it was just to wide of a reach. I really wanted to like this bike. But not being able to change anything just doesn't work for me
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 3:34 pm

I bought my first LT after having a Valkyrie setup with barbacks, highway pegs and backrest. I went nuts trying to adjust the handlebar position on the LT. Only ended up with a small change. Next thing was adding mic-o-pegs and highway ottomans to stretch my legs. It took a long while to transition. I ended up really loving the LT until I was seduced by the KGT2. What a sexy powerful bike. I spent a fortune on pieces to make it as comfortable as the LT to no avail. It was killing my arthritic shoulders no matter where the handlebars were and nowhere to stretch my legs. Up, down, Bar Risers, couldn't make it work FOR ME. I just wasn't riding as much anymore.
Decided to sell the GT and get a 2009 LT. I'm in heaven! Funny thing is after the GT, I could just enjoy the LT right away with none of the issues I perceived with the first one. I ride it everywhere I can(still added Mic-o-pegs).
Sometimes time fixes things and other times it just not for you. All the best with your decision.

Smitty
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannaB View Post
I bought my first LT after having a Valkyrie setup with barbacks, highway pegs and backrest. I went nuts trying to adjust the handlebar position on the LT. Only ended up with a small change. Next thing was adding mic-o-pegs and highway ottomans to stretch my legs. It took a long while to transition. I ended up really loving the LT until I was seduced by the KGT2. What a sexy powerful bike. I spent a fortune on pieces to make it as comfortable as the LT to no avail. It was killing my arthritic shoulders no matter where the handlebars were and nowhere to stretch my legs. Up, down, Bar Risers, couldn't make it work FOR ME. I just wasn't riding as much anymore.
Decided to sell the GT and get a 2009 LT. I'm in heaven! Funny thing is after the GT, I could just enjoy the LT right away with none of the issues I perceived with the first one. I ride it everywhere I can(still added Mic-o-pegs).
Sometimes time fixes things and other times it just not for you. All the best with your decision.

Smitty
Thank you. I was worried about "bashing" such an iconic bike, but it just wasn't for me. I hope it finds a home with someone who "fits"
T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in