02 K1200LT will crank, but will not run - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

02 K1200LT will crank, but will not run

I rode her to work this morning just like every morning without any issues. When I got off work, I tried to crank her, but she was very hard to start. When she finally did start, it was just a rough idle. When I twist the throttle any at all, she dies. I just filled up last night, so there is plenty of fuel. This sort of thing has never happened before. When I was trying to crank, I smelled gas thru the exhaust pretty strong. If this were an old car, I'd think it was flooded.

Not sure if this is related, but in the last few weeks, every once in a while, she will shut off just for an instant while I am riding. I have been meaning to go see my mechanic about it, but I have been extremely busy working 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week. Gonna be interesting getting it out of the parking garage at work.

The Halster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 5:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 02 K1200LT will crank, but will not run

You probably split a fuel line inside the tank. Take the fuel cap off, turn the key on and look for swirling inside the tank to confirm that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 8:47 pm

Check the battery connections and some of the major ground connections, a voltmeter doing voltage drop tests or a simple wiggle test I would start with

post #4 of 17 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 9:57 pm

Do you still have the cannister? Might be time for a cannisterectomy.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 6:32 am Thread Starter

Cannister?

The Halster

post #6 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by haltech007 View Post
Cannister?
Charcoal-one. Look for Canisterectomy...

Born to be wild so why not

post #7 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Cannister?
There is a charcoal canister under the trunk that can sometimes get clogged, usually after an overfill of the gas tank, sometimes after a tip over. Once clogged it blocks the venting of the gas tank and causes a vacuum pressure to build in the tank. Once that happens you will be fuel starved as the pump try's to overcome the vacuum. The best way to tell is after running open the gas cap, if you hear a woosh as you crack open the cap, you have a problem.

However it seems that your stops running before you get to this stage so I would go with something related to the bike not getting fuel, like mentioned in the post to look into a split fuel line inside the tank.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Well, today's mission is just to get her home. She is still sitting in the parking garage at work. Once she gets home later today, I'll check both of those issues. I am keeping all 10 fingers and all 12 toes crossed that it is something this simple.

She did fall over a few weeks ago and that's when the little 'blips' started when I was riding. I thought it was some sort of electrical issue that was causing it to shut off for just an instant while I was riding, but the lights didn't blink or anything like that. She does need a new battery. The one it there now works alright, but is weak. I get the wig-wag flash, but only when it is cold.

The Halster

post #9 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:19 am
Enjoy The Ride

If the canister is plugged you can leave the fuel cap loose so the tank doesn't go into a vacuum. If it happened not to long after a fill up you could also have a bad load of gas.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

I just got her home. I took off the gas cap and it is still doing the same thing.Now I have a new issue; I have the full tool kit in the side saddle, but now it will not open. The handle will pull out, but it feels like the rear catch is not disengaging. I cannot get to the tools to get the seat and\or trunk off. There are a few lines right there under the front seat. Are two of them the lines to the cannister? Can I do the repair right there?

I will siphon out all of that new tank of gas and try some new gas to see if that makes a difference.

The Halster

post #11 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 3:58 pm

In your original post you said you smelled gas while cranking the engine. That to me indicated an electrical problem with the ignition system. The only way you'll smell gas is if a gas line ruptured and is spraying fuel outside somewhere, or if the gas lines are all intact, the fuel system is functioning and the injectors are delivering gas but the ignition system failed. So, before you go to the extreme of replacing the gas, check whether you have spark on all four plugs.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #12 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres View Post
In your original post you said you smelled gas while cranking the engine. That to me indicated an electrical problem with the ignition system. The only way you'll smell gas is if a gas line ruptured and is spraying fuel outside somewhere, or if the gas lines are all intact, the fuel system is functioning and the injectors are delivering gas but the ignition system failed. So, before you go to the extreme of replacing the gas, check whether you have spark on all four plugs.
+1 - make sure that if you are smelling gas that it is not coming from the gas lines, just changed the ones on my 2K, only 2 years older than yours and my lines were pretty hard, some of these bikes have caught fire right on top of the motor.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #13 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

What I was smelling was unburned gas thru the exhaust. That's why I said it reminded me of a flooded car. I have noticed occasionally I have smelled gas. I just assumed that I had done it somehow when I bought gas. I guess it has a gas leak somewhere.

When I can get it to start, it will sit and idle, so I think it is firing on all 4. It does not sound like it is missing. It is only when I try to twist it that it coughs and dies. Even when I just ease the throttle a little, it will cough and die.

Now that I have completely killed the battery, do I need to reset the computer or anything like that? I have charged the battery back up, but I am from the old school. I do not really know about computer systems on vehicles.

The Halster

post #14 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Before you tear a bunch of things apart, just look inside the tank with a flashlight while you turn the key on. The battery needs to be charged when you do this. Look for gas swirl or spray. The fuel pump runs for about one second when the switch is turned on to charge the fuel rail. Also check your fuel line quick connects under the right side tip-over wing to make sure they are intact. Also, if you are filling the tank past the bottom of the threaded area for the cap, you are overfilling it and causing problems with the charcoal cannister. When you look inside the fill opening, limit your fuel level to the bottom of that opening. Without going into a bunch of detail, over-filling that tank can cause the motor to flood out and would act just as you describe.

post #15 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Quote:
What I was smelling was unburned gas thru the exhaust. That's why I said it reminded me of a flooded car. I have noticed occasionally I have smelled gas. I just assumed that I had done it somehow when I bought gas. I guess it has a gas leak somewhere.

When I can get it to start, it will sit and idle, so I think it is firing on all 4. It does not sound like it is missing. It is only when I try to twist it that it coughs and dies. Even when I just ease the throttle a little, it will cough and die.

Now that I have completely killed the battery, do I need to reset the computer or anything like that? I have charged the battery back up, but I am from the old school. I do not really know about computer systems on vehicles.
I was smelling gas on mine occasionally, turned out the supply hose was seeping on the metal supply tube right at the tank, the inner soft part of the tube hardened with age, tightened clamp to get to winter but replaced all fuel lines

low fuel pressure in the supply would explain your symptoms, split hose in tank for example.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #16 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

I tried cranking her again with the same results. I put the battery charger back on while I was trying to figure out how to open the stupid side saddle. After a while, I tried cranking again, but this time I twisted the throttle whole holding the starter. She'd start up then backfire and die, and again, and again, lather rinse repeat. Then I let off the throttle and tried again and she started and just sat there at a low idle. Then the revs went up to a normal level, so I gently twisted the throttle and she responded like normal. I held the throttle open at around 4,000rpm for a while and I could hear an occasional miss and the exhaust smelled bad. Smells like there was bad gas, or some crud in the line. I'm gonna go get some fuel conditioner/injector cleaner and let her run it thru the system.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the side saddle open so I can get at the tools, rain gear, etc. The two front slides release, but the rear one doesn't appear to be moving. Any thoughts or previous threads on the subject?

The Halster

post #17 of 17 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 2:42 am

Something in this case brought back some memories. We had a K1200RS with identical symptoms. It idled but every time one tried to open the throttle it started to stall / die. We looked everything from spark plugs to injectors, lambda, fuel hoses, TPS-actuator/stepper - everything. Finally somebody came with an idea to check the pressure valve at the end of injection rail. For some reason the valve leaked and the pressure did not raise high enough. So the problem was in the leaking valve. Your symptoms just sound so similar. I would try to block the return hose for a moment (with a clamp) and test if that has any effect on the problem.

Born to be wild so why not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in