Help! Stuck in Des Moines, Iowa - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Help! Stuck in Des Moines, Iowa

Wheel Bearing on the Uni-Go took a dump out on I-35. I got the axle and one bearing out, but the outer race of the disintegrated bearing is still in the wheel. I think we stopped in time that the hub should be OK, just need a puller to get that race out.

Trailer is being held captive by the towing company that Allstate hooked me up with, and I'm holed up in a Hampton Inn. There's a Standard Bearings place here in town, but they're closed up for the evening.

After the exchange I had with the owner of the shop, I don't really want him touching it. Anybody got any ideas?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 8:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

how to find you...

Dave..
May I suggest you put some "contact info" ? There was a thread in the old site that had the replacement suggestions/process.

I would take the wheel and axle to a "trailer" place... you know a travel trailer place... They are usually much more atuned to the "recreational" needs of motorcyclists.

Peace and best wishes.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Deacon,

I have the info from the old site, the bearing number and such. Getting the bearings will be the hardest part. The outer race should come right out, but I didn't have what I needed. The guy that has the trailer says he has a puller, but wasn't willing to take the time tonight to do it.

Push comes to shove, I'll load it in the hotels courtesy van, bring it here, and wait for the bearings.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:23 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Wheel Bearing on the Uni-Go took a dump out on I-35. I got the axle and one bearing out, but the outer race of the disintegrated bearing is still in the wheel. I think we stopped in time that the hub should be OK, just need a puller to get that race out.

Trailer is being held captive by the towing company that Allstate hooked me up with, and I'm holed up in a Hampton Inn. There's a Standard Bearings place here in town, but they're closed up for the evening.

After the exchange I had with the owner of the shop, I don't really want him touching it. Anybody got any ideas?

I believe a Napa Auto Parts store would have the tools and parts you'll need.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Hey Dave, sorry for your trouble, If you access to MOA Anonymous book. I noticed about 13 folks in Des Moines Iowa, some are showing work space and work tools.... if this is option, I can PM you some phone numbers if you don't have book....

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #6 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

I got in touch with a local NAPA store, bearing number doesn't cross over to anything he has. Says he's tied in to the warehouse and they don't show it.

The bearing number I'm going on came from a post on the old site, 6301-2RS. Several manufacturers showed that number; I assume Standard will have them. If they don't, then it gets interesting.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #7 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Bad Trailer, Bad Bad

Really Dave, you are not stuck in Des Moines, your trailer is.
post #8 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I got in touch with a local NAPA store, bearing number doesn't cross over to anything he has. Says he's tied in to the warehouse and they don't show it.

The bearing number I'm going on came from a post on the old site, 6301-2RS. Several manufacturers showed that number; I assume Standard will have them. If they don't, then it gets interesting.
Dave, is there a Motion Industries in the area?

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Nothing in the local phonebook.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #10 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattso
Really Dave, you are not stuck in Des Moines, your trailer is.
LOL! You're absolutely right!

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #11 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 6:41 am

Dave, I have the bearings, but the wouldn't be there til tamale.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 7:24 am

Yellow page search came up with this:

MOTION INDUSTRIES
1505 E AURORA AVE, DES MOINES, IA 50313
Phone: (515) 266-0470
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 8:35 am

Dave,

There are a few bearing places in Des Moines. The one I usually use is:
Bearing Headquarters Company.
1454 NE Broadway Ave. Phone 515-262-6363.
All the bearing places are located on the East side of Des Moines. I'm assuming you're at the Hampton Inn on the West side of town. The closest auto parts store to you is probably the NAPA North of Hickman Rd (highway 6) at 100th street in WDM. Just a couple miles from you really.
I'm working till 5:30 out at the Air Base but my home is just a few miles from where I think you are now.
I'll see if I can get a hold of you at the Inn.
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 9:46 am

Good News!

To all,

Good News! I just talked to Dave on the phone and he got new bearings this morning and had them installed. He was just fixing to pull out on the road again.
post #15 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 1:16 pm

stuck in des moines

I live in west des moines. Are you still in need of help? PM me and we can swap phone numbers

JSRalston
'02 LTC - Black

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Oscar Wilde
post #16 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 2:50 pm

Same thing happened to us.

The Nachi # is 6301-2nse.

Shelley and I were in St. louis when ours failed. I used a prybar to punch the captive outer race out of mine.

Jimmy
post #17 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

First off, thanks to everyone who posted and PM'd, offering assistance. You guys are great, but like Gail kept telling me, that's what this board is all about.

The race came out fairly easily once I had the tools. Yes, I am kicking myself for not double checking the tool bag before loading up. That will not happen again.

The new bearing isn't as snug as the original, just kinda flops in. Obviously my memory ain't what it used to be (see above) but I seem to remember having to tap them in. They certainly didn't just fall out, a least not all of the pieces. Oh well, we're rolling with it and no vibration or wobble so.....

We accomplished the mission for this trip and now it's just sight seeing. Staying tonight in Minneapolis.

Thanks again guys,

Dave

P.S. I bought four, so if anyone needs them after we get back to Humidityville, just ask.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #18 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 9:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Loose fitting bearing...?

Dave.... that's not good for the bearing to just slip into the wheel. When you get home, pull the wheel and bearing. Use some Loctite Bearing adhesive to "fix" the bearing to the wheel. Loctite has great instructions. Once done, should you need to replace, the bearing will still be "removable" but should NOT spin in the wheel.

Glad you're back rollin'!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #19 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:42 pm

Either that or have a good machine shop overbore the wheel and insert a press fit bushing. Then they can machine the bushing to final bore specs for the bearing size. Loctite is a fine product, but nothing beats real metal. And the procedure can be done on something as simple as a Bridgeport Milling machine.
post #20 of 20 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 4:52 pm

Just did a google search for "bearings inc. in des moines, ia" and got a list of 9 or so bearing suppliers. 6301 is not real common but I would think one of these shops would have one. I can send the names and phones if you are interested. Bearing Inc. used to be in the area IIRC but I have not done any sales calls in that area for a number of years.

I'm in Minneapolis

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in