Dashboard and indicator lighting. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Dashboard and indicator lighting.

While I have the bike apart, I was going to change out all the dash lights. Is there any reason to not use LED replacements for all dash lights and all indicators?

It's a 2003 with all original bulbs, so replacing them all while I can easily get to everything is a good idea. should i stick with old glass bulbs or install the LED replacements and never have to worry again?

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 8:44 am

Re: Dashboard and indicator lighting.

Lotsa archival info on the forums describing the installation of red or orange colored LED dash lights as replacement for OEM. I'm wanting to do that also, and will look to 'superbrightleds' website for ordering. Someone recently noted a product # of 74-CWHP3 I think, but I'm not sure of the color of those. At any rate, to answer your question - I can't think of a reason not to do that mod, Tim. Good luck and share a pic when you finish. I'm a few weeks away from doing ole Toad's.
post #3 of 32 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 7:48 pm

The CW in the item number above stands for "cool white". I used this bulb because it makes the white paint around the indicator really stand out.

post #4 of 32 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 10:07 pm

I installed some of these while mine is torn down:

http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-Trad...lb+red+T5+5050

Looks good so far, but it is still down awaiting the arrival of shocks. Once I button it up I will T&E on a night ride to see how they really look. They were the least expensive option I found. I did go with green for the neutral and turns and amber for the fuel and reverse indicators from superbrightleds.com for a little better quality. I put the red ones in the high beam and cruise indicators to preserve night vision. The closer to 180 degree viewing angle the better on the led replacements. They are polarity sensitive on the install.

Toby

03 K1200LT
post #5 of 32 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 10:55 pm

Here is an older thread on the topic....http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ht=dash+lights

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Cool Re: Dashboard and indicator lighting.

Tim,
DO IT, shouldn't even be a question. I bought 5 of the 5 sided red LED'S from Super bright led.com, they look awesome. I didn't even take that much apart to get to them. Now I did forget to buy one for the B/C backlight. So order 6. I have replaced all my bulbs with LED's, replaced my motolites bulbs with high power super white cree LED's and installed the LED's in the saddle bag reflectors and in my mirrors. I also swapped out the low beam for the HID. Can't miss now
Everybody loves its.

BTW, if anyone can tell me the best, easiest and fastest way to get that B/C cover off. I'm listening.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jailguard811; Apr 5th, 2014 at 4:21 pm. Reason: Self correct failed.
post #7 of 32 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 4:50 pm

(BTW, if anyone can tell me the best, easiest and fastest way to get that B/C cover off. I'm listening.)

Me too. Got extra bulbs but was wondering on how to do this, any ideas?

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

post #8 of 32 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

What about for the ABS indicators and other warning lamps? can those be switched to LED?

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #9 of 32 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
What about for the ABS indicators and other warning lamps? can those be switched to LED?

Yes,you can. They are at the bottom and harder to get to, but doable. But in the end, why. Couldn't see the advantage by going to led, so I didn't bother. If your going to do them, just do one at a time and you'll be fine. Plus with the regular bulbs that I removed for the LED's I'll keep as spares for the warning lights.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

Last edited by vespacar; Apr 5th, 2014 at 6:22 pm. Reason: better answer
post #10 of 32 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespacar View Post
(BTW, if anyone can tell me the best, easiest and fastest way to get that B/C cover off. I'm listening.)

Me too. Got extra bulbs but was wondering on how to do this, any ideas?

Cheers,
Tross
Me three....Looking for answer to this question, too. I got the rest of the dash lights changed very easily, but the B/C is another matter.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #11 of 32 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 7:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

The B/C doesn't use bulbs. you would have to de-solder 6 small surface mount LEDs and solder in new ones.

The unit isn't accessible from the rear. It has to be remove and the front panel taken off, then the unit within the unit comes out and the front panel removed from that.

Once I got mine out and found out how it was built I decided I could live with the dim white light.

Removing the front panel is difficult and I broke one of the tabs that holds it on. It still goes together solidly, but be forewarned that if you do this it is very likely you may break something.

If I ever come across one for sale really cheap I may decide to go ahead and try changing the LEDs. However I'm not willing to risk ruining it without a replacement.

If you just want to change the color you could try putting a thin sheet of colored plastic between the LEDs and the LCD, but to my mind they're already too dim.
post #12 of 32 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
The B/C doesn't use bulbs. you would have to de-solder 6 small surface mount LEDs and solder in new ones.

The unit isn't accessible from the rear. It has to be remove and the front panel taken off, then the unit within the unit comes out and the front panel removed from that.

Once I got mine out and found out how it was built I decided I could live with the dim white light.

Removing the front panel is difficult and I broke one of the tabs that holds it on. It still goes together solidly, but be forewarned that if you do this it is very likely you may break something.

If I ever come across one for sale really cheap I may decide to go ahead and try changing the LEDs. However I'm not willing to risk ruining it without a replacement.

If you just want to change the color you could try putting a thin sheet of colored plastic between the LEDs and the LCD, but to my mind they're already too dim.
Thanks for the reply. I guess it is not worth the effort/risk in making the change. Looks like the main dash change will suffice.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #13 of 32 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
or install the LED replacements and never have to worry again?
LED bulbs have been know to fail occasionally.

I have one in my city light that is going bad...

-just sayin....

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #14 of 32 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 7:13 am

As I've now found out the hard way, don't buy the cheap Chinese led bulbs off of ebay. I've now had 3 fail, as it seems they don't like the 13-14 volts that the bike puts out. Not a big thing as I've got good at changing them.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

post #15 of 32 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespacar View Post
As I've now found out the hard way, don't buy the cheap Chinese led bulbs off of ebay. I've now had 3 fail, as it seems they don't like the 13-14 volts that the bike puts out. Not a big thing as I've got good at changing them.

Cheers,
Tross
I purchased mine at SuperBrightLEDs.com Installed the red lights and took my first night ride last night after work. Very comfortable color. Next I would like to DIM the cruise control indicator and high beam indicator. They are more distraction than I care for.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #16 of 32 Old Jun 4th, 2014, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Next I would like to DIM the cruise control indicator and high beam indicator. They are more distraction than I care for.
Me too, although they don't reflect as bad on the windscreen now that I got rid of the stock windshield. They're still too bright for my liking.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #17 of 32 Old Jun 5th, 2014, 1:17 am

What's the B/C?
Anyone know what led would give max light on the ground illuminating lights under the fall over protection wings
Is there a different light for main beam? separate on the 07 I have the bright led one on the low beam already. High beam looks yellow and really does diddly squat so never gets used.

Finally I love bright lights could some of the members make suggestions and post some picks of upgrades and additions done to start my imagination off. And maybe give advice on wiring up methods I.e. Separate fuse box power supply. Anyone placed a light under the seat? Or side bags?

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #18 of 32 Old Jun 5th, 2014, 8:43 am

I replaced mine with superbrightleds and am happy with the change. I installed reds in all of the gauge backlights. On the indicators I replaced the bulbs with the corresponding led color of the filter except for the cruise and high beam. I went with red leds behind them to tone 'em down at night. I like the result.

Toby

03 K1200LT
post #19 of 32 Old Aug 28th, 2014, 12:55 am

Only today did my Garmon start functioning. It normally reads Searching for Satellites. This is when I noticed the speedometer reading to fast. As I will now be removing the dash to make the changes in the speedo I would like to brighten up the dash with higher lumen bulbs and of a different colour. I would like to ask the people on this forum who have swapped over to LED's to show some pics of their new lighting and which colours work best. Thank you

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #20 of 32 Old Aug 28th, 2014, 6:33 am

LEDs, # 74-CWHP3 at http://www.superbrightleds.com are the ones I'm seriously considering, based on several posts here on the forums. HTH.
post #21 of 32 Old Aug 28th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
LEDs, # 74-CWHP3 at http://www.superbrightleds.com
+1 on superbrightleds.com... I like blue...

Kevin Sawatsky, Kingston, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'01 BMW K1200LT (early version) - Sold
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
post #22 of 32 Old Aug 29th, 2014, 1:01 am

The blue looks awesome, your headlight looks awesomore wow is that ever bright.

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #23 of 32 Old Aug 29th, 2014, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
The blue looks awesome, your headlight looks awesomore wow is that ever bright.
Thanks! I really like the blue. Even added a digital volt meter and USB power socket in blue...

The headlight is an HID. That pic is only the low beam. I converted the high beam as well... I like to see well!

IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
post #24 of 32 Old Aug 30th, 2014, 4:30 pm

May I ask what you changed you High beam with? My ride is the 07 with separate high beam and would love to change it out. The very low yellow output is no better than a flash light. Can't see the purpose of having it there. Also if your high beam is inside the same unit of the 01 model would it be compatible to the 07 ? Thanks

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #25 of 32 Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
May I ask what you changed you High beam with?
I believe that your '07 has a different configuration in the headlamp housing than the original version like my '01. Both low and high beam are DDM tuning bulbs and ballasts. My bike had HID's for both when I bought her, but the low beam went out and I decided to replace both bulbs and ballasts together. I chose 4300 35W bulbs.

'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
post #26 of 32 Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 12:02 am

Thanks for the reply.

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #27 of 32 Old Feb 25th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Which part number did you get for the 5 sided LED bulbs?

Thanks

Steve A
post #28 of 32 Old Feb 25th, 2017, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvoyager View Post

Which part number did you get for your blue LED bulbs and now that you have had them for a while are you happy with the brightness and color selection?

Thanks

Steve A
post #29 of 32 Old Feb 27th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea2980 View Post
Which part number did you get for your blue LED bulbs and now that you have had them for a while are you happy with the brightness and color selection?
That was a while ago, and I recently replaced that bike with a Gen2, but I'm pretty sure that those bulbs were found here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/74-led-bulb-3-smd-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/228/

As far as color and brightness are concerned, as long as I had her I could not have been happier. They look great, got lots of compliments and the brightness was always "just right"...

'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
post #30 of 32 Old Feb 27th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvoyager View Post

Sure would like the part number for those dash bulbs! They look great!

Regards

Steve A
post #31 of 32 Old Feb 28th, 2017, 10:34 am

Hi, Steve. You should verify my note here, but it's the latest I have from superbrightleds.com site. 74-Bhp3 for blue ones. 74-Rhp3 for reds, and 74-Ghp for greens. Third character is key item. Good luck. And apologies if my listing is outta date.
post #32 of 32 Old Feb 28th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Cool Re: Dashboard and indicator lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Hi, Steve. You should verify my note here, but it's the latest I have from superbrightleds.com site. 74-Bhp3 for blue ones. 74-Rhp3 for reds, and 74-Ghp for greens. Third character is key item. Good luck. And apologies if my listing is outta date.
Thanks to everyone who replied on my questions here.

Now I have to decided am I going Red or Blue?

Opinions anyone LOL.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in