Broken Vanity Mirror, parts on-line? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 29th, 2006, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Broken Vanity Mirror, parts on-line?

I found the plastic hinge on the vanity mirror, in the trunk case broken. I have no idea how that happened. So the little plastic peg that acts as part of the hinge is broken off. Also the other part, that holds the peg is also broken. It appears I need a new mirror and the plate that the vanity mirror attaches to.

Any suggestions where I can order these parts on-line?

Thanks

Hal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 29th, 2006, 9:10 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Most of us have switched to piano hinges. They are better than what the factory provides.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 20 Old May 29th, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks Raffy, I did a search for "piano hinge" and after reading a bit I'm off to the hardware store, maybe Home Depot for the hinge. Great fix.

Hal

post #4 of 20 Old May 29th, 2006, 12:29 pm

I think the replacement mirror is about $20. I found they can also break when you place a wine opener in the compartment.....duh. Now I have the wine opener in a rubber tube.

Several BMW dealers do telephone orders. I'm not sure if anyone does on-line orders.
post #5 of 20 Old May 29th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Hammersley has a new online ordering process direct from fiche images and I have found their prices better than most and often cheapest. www.webparts.com. Although they are my closest dealer (at around 90 miles) I have no affiliation.

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
post #6 of 20 Old May 29th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Try www.beemerboneyard.com

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #7 of 20 Old May 30th, 2006, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all.. great help. I have bought a piano hinge. Next step to shorten it. They say it's easy to snip 4" off a 36" piano hinge. We'll soon find out.

Hal
post #8 of 20 Old May 30th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal9000
Thanks all.. great help. I have bought a piano hinge. Next step to shorten it. They say it's easy to snip 4" off a 36" piano hinge. We'll soon find out.

Hal
Hi, Hal - thought I might try including a pic of my piano hinge fix for the vanity mirror lid. It's just a 4" long hinge that I found at Home Depot. Came with several brass screws and I used them for attaching the hinge to the lid. Later, I snipped off the excess screw threads flush, that were poking into the mirror cavity (they tend to chew thangs up that are stored in there). Been as you see it for nearly four years now. Good luck with your fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk mirror hinge-5.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	4143  
post #9 of 20 Old May 31st, 2006, 10:29 pm

Thumbs up Vanity Mirror Hinge

Nice timing!
I broke my hinge last week and was wondering how to fix it.
The piano hinge looks like a good idea.
Thanks.

Daibach
Mother Nature's like Revenue Canada; makes her own rules and don't tell you all of them. The Squire.
post #10 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 8:41 am

Black Duct Tape solution

Failure seems a design flaw due to weight of magnet and mirror too much for the silly hinge little pin over time (and bumps)... I fabbed a hinge out of black (color optional, it's what I had) duct tape and it works well, although the alignment is "flexible" as it opens and closes...
post #11 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 9:05 pm

Leetle problem with the piano hinges

One mistake I made was to use short screws with a little bit of a head on them. Of course the heads touch each other when I open the mirror and now it opens only half way. I want to grind the screw heads down, or change to flat head screws.
Just a warning.
FridayBob
post #12 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FridayBob
One mistake I made was to use short screws with a little bit of a head on them. Of course the heads touch each other when I open the mirror and now it opens only half way. I want to grind the screw heads down, or change to flat head screws.
Just a warning.
FridayBob
Hey, Bob - did you use a piano hinge? The piano hinge I bought at Home Depot has the openings for the screws dished out for countersunk, flat head screws - they actually came in the piano hinge package.

Part I didn't like wuz the screws penetrating so far into the mirror cavity that the screw point rubbed anythang that wuz stored in the cavity and tore up some paperwork that I kept in there. I've since clipped off the points flush with the plastic. I might have mentioned this in an earlier post - *duh* if I did!!
post #13 of 20 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dick & Bob and the rest. Great help. now I am ready to fix my vanity mirror.

Hal
post #14 of 20 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhouse
Failure seems a design flaw due to weight of magnet and mirror too much for the silly hinge little pin over time (and bumps)... I fabbed a hinge out of black (color optional, it's what I had) duct tape and it works well, although the alignment is "flexible" as it opens and closes...
It's also caused by over loading or bad placement of items in trunk. I went for years with out a problem and wondered why so many complained about their mirrors. That was until I was a little careless with positioning my laptop in the trunk just once. Now I understand.
post #15 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:04 am

Garage
Hinge Question

Dick;

My hinge is also broken, replaced it once with the original part, going to try the 4" hinge you used.

Do you remember the part #/section of HD you found it?

thanks,

radar

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #16 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:47 am

After the cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal9000

Hal
You'll find you have a 32" piece, use the othe one.
Then cut the rest down into 4" pieces and sell it to get your money back.
I don't look in the mirror, but I know mine is broke, sitting in top drawer of tool box.
Rock
post #17 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Um, did you know you can buy piano hinges in a variety of lengths? Even as short as 4". The term refers to the type of long hinge, rather than a specific length.

The trunk mirror on my '02 broke soon after I picked up the bike. I had it replaced under warranty, the immediately took it off and put it in a box in the garage. It's been fine there for 76K miles.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar41
Dick;

My hinge is also broken, replaced it once with the original part, going to try the 4" hinge you used.

Do you remember the part #/section of HD you found it?

thanks,

radar
Hi, Don - sorry for the late reply. Been sweltering at a car show; would rather have been here!!

Naw, I don't have the Home Depot part number, butt I found 'em on the nail/fasterner/screw/bolt aisle in a section of hangers/picture frame clips/etc. Most of that section wuz at eye level and all items were predominately brass.

Just ax the aisle maintainer if you don't find it at the end of the aisle nearest the front of the store!!

Good luck.
post #19 of 20 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Re: Broken Vanity Mirror, parts on-line?

for those having issues w/screw length, I used heavy duty double sided tape to mount the hinges, works perfect, just clean all surfaces w/ alcohol, and press on. Jim
post #20 of 20 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Re: Broken Vanity Mirror, parts on-line?

I reckon just about everyone has had a problem with the weak design of these hinges. My cover falls open when I hit a decent bump and of course the cover is probably flopping around until the next time I open the case. However after breaking the plastic pins off I drilled the cover and inserted steel pins and they have been in place for a long time and lots of distance covered without a further problem.
I also think that this fix is neat. (But then again I would wouldn't I?)
Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA080015.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	33153  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in