Yep, I am one of them.
I traded in an Ď04 Victory TC that served me well for the 13k miles I put on it last year about 10k 2up. It took us to Montreal, Pennsylvania and all over Maine, NH and VT. The only issue was backache for the passenger on a lot of our days in the saddle. Mechanically the Vic was a very low maintenance machine and although I tried several passenger type add-ons (and a good amount of farkles J) it just didnít cut it.
After plowing around in here under the covers (Lurking) for a month or so and a few test drives, I really enjoyed the comfort and sportiness of the RT. But Passenger amenities were not as good as the LT. I took the LT out for some rides and felt it easier than the Wing for me. Compared to that I felt the LT to be my choice and the Passenger was satisfied as well. Although we have not taken a long day on it yet due to the timing of the acquisition although for a short 1-Ĺ hr drive coming home my better half fell asleep for about 45 minutes when the temp was about 48 (heated seats and vest), which answered the comfort question for the most part.
I loved the low-end torque and grunt that the 1500 offered but just as much and even more love the quickness, quiet and comfort of the LT. After owning this for about 3 weeks and having put on only 2500 miles I do need to ask some questions that I hope you can help me with. I have read as many threads as I can find on these questions until I couldnít even distinguish the characters. The fact that there are so many threads and so many interesting connections to associated threads (Thanks to the new software (not sure yet whether this is a help or hindrance as I have to keep dropping bread crumbs I get so far off the trail sometimes)) But I digressÖ..
I have noticed some things after riding this for a few weeks now that I do not feel the answers from the dealer are anything further than the stock answers so far (I will give examples of them). I have seen and very much appreciated the advice and observations of experience that I have seen on this board. I may be answering some of my own questions but hope you will help me sort out something that may just be the nature of the beast if you will.
1) I have noticed a ďpingingĒ like sound under moderate, heavy acceleration. I also hear it much quieter when cruising speed and do not recall this on the test rides. The Service Manager told me to try different brands of premium and they will look at it again when I take it in this week. Is this a sound that the K bikes make from your experience?
2) The origination sheet said that it included the intercom and a tall windshield. When I picked it up it did not have the passenger receptacle for the audio or the tall windshield. The dealer took one off the floor model and placed it on mine (noticed that the bottom etching was sanded off) and I noticed like sand pits in the shield after a couple of weeks. Are these windshields that soft and are there serial numbers etched in the windshield for anti theft? They ordered a whole new tail bag and BMW refused do they have ordered the parts for the passenger audio.
3) When I ride with the shield 75-100% up I feel a lot of air pressure from the back pushing me forward in the seat, is that normal? I have heard that BMW shields were tested in a wind tunnel and that tells me something ainít quite right!
4) I notice that wind on the highway has much more effect on the handling of the bike when cruising as compared to the v-twin and I am sure it is from all plastic that gives it the kite effect. If I accelerate the aero styling on the front takes over and I have less effect of the wind but I run out of road and have accept that I guess. Also even when there is little to no wind it feels like it wants to wander the lane if I am at just cruising speed.
5) I have read much on oil, maybe too much along with all the posts. These two articles are my favorites:
What seems (and please donít whack me for this one) the overall choice for those that do there own oil changes? And is there a quality filter that cross references if there is no BMW dealer around at the time?
ON the subject of Brake squeal, a lot of manufacturers of automotive disc brake pads cut a groove in the pad and lately chamfer the ends of the pads to eliminate squeal. Has anyone tried this as a more permanent fix?
Also looking to add lighting and Jpegs as I have days where cramping is non existent and days where my hips just do not want to fit right.
I am North of Boston and would love to attend a tech session if there is a group around and would be willing to assist in organizing or anyother "helper" mode to get started.
Sorry for the long post....soooo many questions!
Thanks in advance