Alaska Highway ... how tough is it no tires? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 31st, 2014, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Alaska Highway ... how tough is it no tires?

Will be riding from Denver, CO to Dawson Creek, BC and then on to Anchorage, AK in June via the Alaska Highway. Keep hearing and reading about how the Alaska Highway "eats tires" and wears them down to nothing in no time.

I plan to have new tires on the K1200LT when heading out. The trip one-way is 3,200 miles. I can't imagine that the road could create enough wear to necessitate a rear tire replacement while in route to Anchorage, BUT, I don't really know how tough the road is on tires. Anybody with any experience on this route with their LT that could provide counsel. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2002 BMW K1200LT
2003 HD Road King Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 31st, 2014, 3:18 pm

Re: Alaska Highway ... how tough is it no tires?

I rode to Alaska and back from Wichita twenty five years ago with no trouble from my tires. I was on an 83 Yamaha Venture. That was not as heavy as the LT but still heavy. My trip was 8,400 miles. I would think that you should not have any trouble with tire wear. Enjoy your trip!
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 31st, 2014, 8:31 pm

I went in 03 on a Wing and didn't have any problems with my tires. If you start out with new tires you should't have any trouble with excessive wear.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 10:37 am

Iíve ridden it twice in the last few years. Youíll get accelerated wear but not enough to be concerned if you start with new tires. The one trip was long almost 20K and I had to change in Fairbanks. The other trip was somewhat more direct via the rockies and that was 9400. Starting with new ME880s they were completely done when I got home, usually get over 14K.

A suggestion is to take BC 37 Cassiar one way and the Ak highway the other way so youíre not seeing everything twice. Also on the upper end a good way to see some of the best scenery without backtracking is to do some ferry hopping. Like down to Skagway, ferry over to Haines, back up to Ak Hwy, in Tok turn to Valdez, ferry to Whittier (Whittier tunnel is unique) and on to Anchorage, or vice versa. The passes from the Ak Hwy across the coastal mountains down to the sea are some of the best scenery in Ak. The Ak Hwy itself is very nice but the passes out to the sea are exceptional. Out of Skagway you can also do a high speed ferry down and back daytrip to Juneau.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 10:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

I took my LT up in 2004, and the GS in 2005. The LT had about 5K on the tires when I left or about (I got 13k to 15k out of my rear tires). Wear wasn't a direct problem, but I did get a puncture with a piece of shale from what they jokingly call 'road repairs'. The shale *barely* went all the way through the tire necessitating a roadside patch and eventual replacement in Fairbanks. The lesson learned? Start with new tires, if mine had had 5K more rubber I don't think the shale would have penetrated.

In 2005 three of us went up, all on new rubber. The other two guys both had punctures on the Cassiar. So in addition to new tires, make sure you have a patch/plug kit, and a 12v air compressor.

Motor On ,/'

post #6 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Seems like adding Slime or Ride-On would be a good preventative measure for that trip.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 1:53 pm

Uh oh!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 2:36 pm

I've been up there twice, once to Prudhoe on my KL1100LT and once to Homer on my K1200LT. I didn't notice any increased wear on the Al-Can over any other roads.

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

post #9 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks to all for the sage counsel. I really appreciate the insight and advice. Got it! Know what to anticipate now. I'm off and running.

2002 BMW K1200LT
2003 HD Road King Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in