Dead battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2014, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Dead battery

I finally got a chance to start the bike up today and the battery was about as dead as could be. The thing is, I had it on an older Beltran Battery Tender and it showed that it was charged. My question is, my battery is a gel battery. Does a gel battery need a different battery tender made for gel batteries? My thinking was that the bike doesn't know what type of battery it is charging when I put the tender on it last fall.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Re: Dead battery

How old was the battery?
Was the 'tender' rated for a Gel battery?
How did you connect it to the battery?

If the battery is below a certain charge many smart chargers will not charge the battery. Its a safety thing.

You can try to revive it with a dumb 2 ah charger put it on for no more than 8 hours then finish with a smart charger.

Should you decide to take this mission, Good luck.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2014, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Battery is a month short of 2years old and I am sure that since the battery tender is probably 20 years old it was in use before gel batteries were around. When I put it on the tender last fall the battery had a pretty good charge on it. We did check what the tender was putting out and it was over 13.5 volts,but if the tender wasn't designed for a gel battery it might be the problem.

Marty Blok

99 LT

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jump start it, go for a 20 minute ride, see if it starts afterwards.
Hint: don't shut it off until you are back home.

post #5 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2014, 6:14 am
Enjoy The Ride

If you try to start it with low voltage you risk welding the starter relay contacts. The relay cost $115 & other damage could be done if you can't get the battery disconnected quickly.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2014, 6:46 am

If it is a fairly new battery check your charger, I bet it is a trickle charger not a battery tender (hard to tell sometimes even on new chargers unless you read specs). True tenders will shut off the trickle charge when the battery gets to about 13.5 volts and then turn it back on when the voltage drops to about 13 volts, where the trickle chargers continue to charge and do not shut off. If the electrical drain being consumed is not equal to the trickle charge rate it will overcharge and fry a battery if left on for extended periods as I learned the hard way. The symptoms will be a battery that checks fully charged but damage to the plates from overcharging will reduce cranking amps and drop voltage immediately when trying to start bike. Now that I use a true tender my last battery went six years before it got sluggish and was replaced.
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2014, 8:12 am

I am looking at the TecMate TM-141DUAL OptiMate 4DUAL 0.8Amp Weatherproof Desulfating Charger/Mainta​iner. I like that it has the desulfating action. Anyone have any experience with this item? I messaged the company but so far have not got anything back from them.
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2014, 8:57 am

By far the best motorcycle battery thread is over at adventure rider:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757934

It's a very long thread, but by the end you will have learned everything you ever needed to know about motorcycle batteries.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Jump start it, go for a 20 minute ride, see if it starts afterwards.
Hint: don't shut it off until you are back home.
Hint #2: while on that 20 minute ride, don't stall it out in stop and go traffic due to an accident. Guess how I came up with that hint!

Also, once you think there is a good enough charge in the battery, instead of a ride (due to snow or rain or whatever) turn key on so the lights come on and leave it like that for 10 minutes. Then turn off, and then on again and try to start it. If it doesn't start then the battery is shot and you won't waste any more time on it or risk getting stuck far from home. (Poor man's non technical and unscientific battery load test.)

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2014, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

My battery tender is a Deltran Battery tender so it may be a battery problem.
Dave, last summer I did have the starter relay stick when the same battery had a low voltage issue down at Vintage Motorcycle Days. I am probably going to go with John Z's way of putting in a Ford type relay.

Marty Blok

99 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in