Electrical Issues 2005 K1200LT - Help please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 11:55 am Thread Starter

Electrical Issues 2005 K1200LT - Help please

In a previous thread I talked about having horn, radion, and HCS issues. Well I took the bike in to the bike shop for new tires and have all fluids done. I also asked the shop to look into what was going on with the three items. Well the shop called me and said they have traced the horn, brakelight, and HCS back to the same 10 amp fuse - but when a new fuse is installed it immediately pops. He is going to begin tracing the problem but doesn't have any ideal where the problem might be - has anyone experienced this problem and know where the fault is?

Cheers to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Re: Electrical Issues 2005 K1200LT - Help please

A fuse opening on a multi-branch circuit is going to require some troubleshooting, without ts no way of knowing the reason for the excess current. Does the fuse open without the key on, or when you turn the key on?

Disconnect the power lines for everything on that circuit, install a new fuse, hook up the power for only one of the items, turn the key on, power on the item. If the fuse is still good, move on to the next item.

If the fuse blows with nothing connected then you have a wiring short to frame/ground "somewhere". If it blows when a specific item is powered on well then you found the culprit.

But begin by disconnecting anything associated with that fuse and selectively reconnect them unless the fuse blows even with nothing connected.

Also check for a wire/ground short with an ohmmeter directly at the fuse with everything disconnected to confirm for a wire short.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

The repair shop just called and said the alarm is out($400 to replace), which is causing the brake light and horn not to work. And the motor is out on the HCS which entire assembly is $1100. I'll have them replace the alarm module but I seen a few post on here where folks replaced the motor themselves just have to find the post that told what motor to use as replacement.

This is an awesome forum....

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Garage

I am not familar with alarms but it sounds like they are covering all bases and replacing everything, that way they are bound to fix it, at your expense good luck hope they are right.
Linton

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 6:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Motors for the EHCS are usually available from Global Direct but they seem to be out (last time they were $51.00). This place shows them available: http://www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-50N

Sometimes the only thing wrong with the motor is the screw that grounds one of the brushes has become corroded. Fairly easy fix. Just hold the output gear lightly in a vise and remove the motor cover. You will see the corroded screw.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 10:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Motors for the EHCS are usually available from Global Direct but they seem to be out (last time they were $51.00). This place shows them available: http://www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-50N

Sometimes the only thing wrong with the motor is the screw that grounds one of the brushes has become corroded. Fairly easy fix. Just hold the output gear lightly in a vise and remove the motor cover. You will see the corroded screw.

I ordered from DB Electric $59 shipped so happy with that. Next is getting the alarm replaced, the repair shop said he may have located a used one for $100 buck, we'll see.

The next thing will be to get the radio repaired (emailed Baris) waiting on a reply.

I just bought the bike last week from a one owner, and got a deal and it only has 36K miles on it. I don't mind putting a few bucks in it but really want to save where I can.
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotronics View Post
In a previous thread I talked about having horn, radion, and HCS issues. Well I took the bike in to the bike shop for new tires and have all fluids done. I also asked the shop to look into what was going on with the three items. Well the shop called me and said they have traced the horn, brakelight, and HCS back to the same 10 amp fuse - but when a new fuse is installed it immediately pops. He is going to begin tracing the problem but doesn't have any ideal where the problem might be - has anyone experienced this problem and know where the fault is?

Cheers to all!
I had the EXCACT same problem in 2009 two days before an alaska trip. Freaked me out, scared of being stranded and going that far without brake lights. The dealer bypasses the fuse and smoke everywhere. Then said alarm ruined anyway. After replacing alarm (1600.00 not 400.00 they were "kind" enough to cannabalize a stock bike for part) its been fine ever since.

post #8 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2014, 1:02 pm

and you're right - this is an awesome forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in