broken cruise control cable - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 6:47 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Michaeldale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern pines, NC, usa
Posts: 319
broken cruise control cable

I wondering if anyone has ever experienced the C/control cable breaking before? The cable is on a 2001 Lt with 80k.

Last week while traveling to Daytona, about halfway through GA the cruise stopped working. I really didn't realize how much I used the cruise until I didn"t have it anymore. While in Daytona, I stopped by the local dealer. They were great, at the last minute the shop manager worked me in. They informed me that the issue was in the C/control main control box but due the time of the day and no parts on hand. (AND no $$ out of my pocket) I had to ride old school back home.

YESTERDAY (22nd) I made my way over to Dave's (Saddleman) house. With-in a couple hours, problem fixed. Dave even had the parts on hand :-).

A BIG THANK YOU TO DAVE.......THE BMW RIDERS FRIEND.........

Michael Dale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michaeldale is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 7:09 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,107
Re: broken cruise control cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldale View Post
I wondering if anyone has ever experienced the C/control cable breaking before? The cable is on a 2001 Lt with 80k.

Last week while traveling to Daytona, about halfway through GA the cruise stopped working. I really didn't realize how much I used the cruise until I didn"t have it anymore. While in Daytona, I stopped by the local dealer. They were great, at the last minute the shop manager worked me in. They informed me that the issue was in the C/control main control box but due the time of the day and no parts on hand. (AND no $$ out of my pocket) I had to ride old school back home.

YESTERDAY (22nd) I made my way over to Dave's (Saddleman) house. With-in a couple hours, problem fixed. Dave even had the parts on hand :-).

A BIG THANK YOU TO DAVE.......THE BMW RIDERS FRIEND.........
Dave stocks cruise control cables? Wow! This is the first time I have heard of one of those breaking. Did it appear as though it was defective from the factory?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 4:31 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,885
Re: broken cruise control cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Dave stocks cruise control cables? Wow! This is the first time I have heard of one of those breaking. Did it appear as though it was defective from the factory?
It had 80,000 miles on it & who knows when the first strand broke but we know when the last strand broke. I'm on my third pull throttle cable on my 2004 LT. I've never had a bike that had a cable that didn't fray sooner or later. Spare cables is something I carry when I travel out of town.

A little tip, You need more than two hands to replace the cruise control cable.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 8:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,107
Re: broken cruise control cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
It had 80,000 miles on it & who knows when the first strand broke but we know when the last strand broke. I'm on my third pull throttle cable on my 2004 LT. I've never had a bike that had a cable that didn't fray sooner or later. Spare cables is something I carry when I travel out of town.

A little tip, You need more than two hands to replace the cruise control cable.
How many miles did you average on the first two cables?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 8:35 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,885
Re: broken cruise control cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
How many miles did you average on the first two cables?
I don't remember when I replaced the first one but I just replaced all of them at 180,000 miles & the pull cable was frayed again. So far I have caught them before they broke.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 9:35 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,885
Re: broken cruise control cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I don't remember when I replaced the first one but I just replaced all of them at 180,000 miles & the pull cable was frayed again. So far I have caught them before they broke.
I checked my notes & the first cable was replaced at 81,000 miles.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 9:15 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,107
Re: broken cruise control cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I checked my notes & the first cable was replaced at 81,000 miles.
I have 40,000 on my 07, but I use the cruise a lot. Maybe time to think about a replacement...

I assume much Tupperware must be removed so maybe a good task for my 48K service.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise control diagnostic question r_figueroa K1200LT 5 Nov 27th, 2012 6:58 pm
Cruise Control OD with new cables. airborneod K1200LT 24 Jun 14th, 2011 6:42 am
I'm Stumped..... Cruise Control Issue Cochinosucio K1200LT 10 Dec 13th, 2008 10:51 am
MCCruise.com electronic cruise control installed Randy GS Series 16 Jun 22nd, 2007 9:04 am
Speed traps in The Netherlands vvk Chit Chat 0 Oct 24th, 2005 9:38 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome