A MUCH quieter Remus !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Talking A MUCH quieter Remus !!

Did some R&D with my remus "Street can" to try and get rid of that throaty helmet resonating rumble. (mostly under 3500 rpm crusing or during power roll on)
Reason why, my wife finds the rumble very annoying, I agree with her ... So WALA, this is what I came up with.

Using stainless 1.250 O.D. / .020" wall tubing - inserted an @ 4" piece into exit of muffler.

*** Noise of the low frequency kind is LESS THAN HALF ! with no noticeable loss in power. Still has the nice Remus purr, but lacks the rumble ....... NICE !!!

It would seem by straighting out the flow of gas's at outlet, the rumbles gone.
Because of the angle of outlet, the tube gets canted slighty and wedges into place, a small tack of RTV silacone applied so it can't rattle back out. Removable if needed ... Very K.I.S.S.

Regards.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remus insert 001.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remus insert 002.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remus insert.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	284  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Oct 10th, 2005 at 6:27 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 6:07 pm

I like it. I had been reluctant to upgrade my exhaust since my wife still gives me a hard time about the 540's sport exhaust "note". This might be the answer for me. Thanks.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #3 of 51 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 6:34 pm

Good job, Scott!!

I have the same Remus pipe, and my wife has the same issue with the low loud rumble (I've been keeping RPMs higher (4K+) as a result, but can't always do so). I'll be copying your method right away!!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

post #4 of 51 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Scott: NOW you tell me! I gave up and sold my Remus a month ago. BWAAAHHHH...

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

post #5 of 51 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Dave,
No salt here, so ... no corrosion.

I did however shine it up after I purchased it used @ 4 months ago using a "Fine" scotchbright pad. Now @ 4K on it.

Scott

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 51 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 7:46 pm

Hi Scott! Thanks for the R&D. My bike is going into the shop this week and I am adding a chip. Was reluctant to buy the exhaust, but now that you have enlightened us on how to cut down the noise, I am going to add a Remus exhaust to the shopping list as well. Just a quick question for you, is the metal piece just straight pipe. One end in the photo looks like it has a smaller diamater than the other. Thanks for your help. Ron Hiebert
post #7 of 51 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
Hi Scott! Thanks for the R&D. My bike is going into the shop this week and I am adding a chip. Was reluctant to buy the exhaust, but now that you have enlightened us on how to cut down the noise, I am going to add a Remus exhaust to the shopping list as well. Just a quick question for you, is the metal piece just straight pipe. One end in the photo looks like it has a smaller diamater than the other. Thanks for your help. Ron Hiebert
Same diameter 1.250"O.D. x .020" wall x @ 4" long ... nothing special at all.

Regards.
Scott

**** BTW. I have @ 3 feet of this materal ... so IF you want to do the mod, but can't find some tubing locally, I can set you guys up while my supply lasts.

Figure cost @ $10 for a 6" piece .. shipped in lower 48

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Oct 12th, 2005 at 12:20 am.
post #8 of 51 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Red face

Had 6 pieces of 6" SS tube ... as of Weds A.M. ... as of 5:15 pm ... Out of tubing !

Thanks guys.

Please post your results once done.

Scott

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Oct 12th, 2005 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Adjusting materal avalible
post #9 of 51 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Oups ... Have 1 more tube avalible

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #10 of 51 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:05 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

BTW FWIW, this mod gets my seal of approval. Heard it last night and it was great.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #11 of 51 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Now out of tubes.

A great mod BTW !!

Have more fun with LESS noise.

Scott

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #12 of 51 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:38 pm
Prodigal Son

Question Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Did some R&D with my remus "Street can"
Scott, did you try different lenths at all??
If, not how did you settle on just 4''? (Ok guys, keep it out of the gutter.)

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #13 of 51 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Red face

Ed,
Well, it does not go in any further than 4 inchs.

The tilted angle of the spigot on the remus street can makes the tube go in slighted tilted too, once in @ 4", The tube hits the side of the internal baffle stopping it.

When I first played around with the idea my tube was @ 8 inchs long, and hung out @ 4" ... it was quieter, just ugly as hell.
At 4" noise is a tad more than at 8" ... but still a LOT quieter than without tube at all.

Scott

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #14 of 51 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:39 am
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Ed,
Well, it does not go in any further than 4 inchs.
The tube hits the side of the internal baffle stopping it.
just made a deal with another member to buy an aluminum street can set-up
should get here while horrse is "gettin' clutched".

May try cross drilling the insert piece,since as you pointed out it touches the baffle.
But I'lll wait til I see the system in the flesh (er, metal)

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #15 of 51 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Smile mod report

Scott..I thought I would let you know that your mod I installed works like a champ!.It appears to have cut the sound by 30-40% with no loss of power.

Thanks so much. It is the perfect answer for the remus on a touring bike.

Lorin
post #16 of 51 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 8:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Scott,

Is that a radio Control Hydro you're handling there??

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #17 of 51 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:19 am Thread Starter

Sure is. One of my passions over the last 15+ years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
Hey Scott,

Is that a radio Control Hydro you're handling there??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Race off.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	792  

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #18 of 51 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Ka-Za !!!!
Got the trike back today with the new Remus installed..............
the sound sort of echoed under the body work and HD guys were giving me the thumbs up.......
I had to add an extension to the silencer to clear the body work so I was able to add 6 inches of "the fix" inside the extension ..........................
What a difference ! I can't believe that little piece of ss cut the rumble at least by half.............
Good fix Scott !!!
Thanx

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #19 of 51 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 7:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up How does it stay in place?

Scott,

I'm sort of late to the discussion and had a question on the extension you designed. What keeps it in place and is there any vibration? One other question, what is a good source of pipe?

Thanks for sharing what seems to be a great idea.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 51 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 7:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Scott,

I'm sort of late to the discussion and had a question on the extension you designed. What keeps it in place and is there any vibration? One other question, what is a good source of pipe?..
I'll jump in an answer the question, since I have had the little extension mod sitting in the topcase for many months now, and just got around to installing it last week! It fits snugly in the pipe, so there's no vibration, and once you've got it fit and cut and tap it back in (it slides quite a ways in, so seems very secure), you use a bead of silicone around it to help secure it (obviously, you have to clean the soot out of the end your pipe before doing that). As others have said, it does a great job of reducing the noise, with no noticeable effect on performance. A very simple, yet elegant solution!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #21 of 51 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 9:36 am

Pipe

Hey there Bruce;
WHere did you buy your pipe from and what quality did you get ?
post #22 of 51 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

thanks all

and where did you get it? Hopefully my local toy store; Home Depot!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #23 of 51 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 8:11 pm

Re: A MUCH quieter Remus !!

I just did this mod. IT WORKS GREAT !!!!

Two minutes and your done. Just follow Motorhead's directions.

Major difference in the sound. Awesome low end sound, no apparent loss in power.

I am sure the pipe can be found somewhere close by, but I didn't want to drive around looking for it. Here is a link for a supplier: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=312&top_cat=1 The pipe I ordered has a .049" thickness instead of the .02" pipe Motorhead used, but it seems to work just fine. $23.00 including shipping

Ride safe.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Champagne in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride' ".

Ed

2003 BMW K1200LTC - "La Vaca"
1999 Kawasaki Concourse
1993 BMW K75
1990 Harley Davidson - Softail
Prior to 1990 - too many, too fuzzy
post #24 of 51 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 2:03 am

Question Re: A MUCH quieter Remus !!

I am supprised that just a dab will do ya keeps the insert in place!

Has the installation still been reliable?

Thanks

Steve A

Quote:
Did some R&D with my remus "Street can" to try and get rid of that throaty helmet resonating rumble. (mostly under 3500 rpm crusing or during power roll on)
Reason why, my wife finds the rumble very annoying, I agree with her ... So WALA, this is what I came up with.

Using stainless 1.250 O.D. / .020" wall tubing - inserted an @ 4" piece into exit of muffler.

*** Noise of the low frequency kind is LESS THAN HALF ! with no noticeable loss in power. Still has the nice Remus purr, but lacks the rumble ....... NICE !!!

It would seem by straighting out the flow of gas's at outlet, the rumbles gone.
Because of the angle of outlet, the tube gets canted slighty and wedges into place, a small tack of RTV silacone applied so it can't rattle back out. Removable if needed ... Very K.I.S.S.

Regards.
Scott
post #25 of 51 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Yup, not had it come out yet .... @ 25K or so ridden with this mod in place.

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #26 of 51 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mine is out on the road someplace...... Bead of silicone must not have held!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 51 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 7:56 am

I turned a piece of pipe in a lathe to get her to fit.

Had to tap (OK Hit) it in with a hammer. Never moved, been a little over a year (25K).

A slip fit to me sounded like a bad choice.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Last edited by Steve_R; Nov 29th, 2008 at 8:43 am.
post #28 of 51 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 9:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

You have to use that RV (?) silicone, the high temp one.
Having said that, I also had trouble keeping mine in so I ran a small screw through. Mine is under the trike body so I was able to extrnd the length to 8" and cover the whole works w/ an exhaust extension...very quiet.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #29 of 51 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Ed,
Well, it does not go in any further than 4 inches.

Scott

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #30 of 51 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Well, it does not go in any further than 4 inches.
Cut me some slack ... at the time done my b-ride was only a 5 year old

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Feb 6th, 2010 at 3:27 pm.
post #31 of 51 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Cut me some slack ... at the time done my b-ride was only a 5 year old
glad I'm not the only one with a dry sense of humor....

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #32 of 51 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Thumbs up Re: A MUCH quieter Remus !!

I did the mod a while back but used Titanium tubing (to go with the Titanium can on my system) with a .035 wall thickness. This tube is also available from Online Metals. I made three of the parts and gave one to a friend. I used Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker that I had handy to seal mine into place. On my friend's bike (later on in another town) we used Permatex® High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker that we bought. Results: on a long day's ride at Interstate speeds mine fell out and his didn't. I think what happenned is that the can gets pretty hot from sustained high speed riding and the Black gasket sealer just softened up enough to let go. The red is is for Hi Temp applications and stayed stiff - so use RED. Fortunately I had the third piece so it was not a problem to do it over, using the right sealer this time.

Steve Page
Brentwood, TN
Rides
02 K1200LTC Very Black
92 TDM 850 Very Red

04 FZ1 Very Fast
post #33 of 51 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 8:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wow, first time I've seen this thread. Had my LT with Remus for 3 years and have always wanted to "moderate" the rumble without removing the mod (chip & exhaust). This is now top of my list of to do's. Great discovery, Scott. Thanks for posting way back in '05.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #34 of 51 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 5:54 pm

I had one more thought - maybe the reason mine fell out with the black Silicone is that I used a Titanium tube, not stainless steel. As the titanium can and titanium tube heat up they expand at the same rate (coefficient of themal expansion). Now stainless steel has a HIGHER thermal expansion coefficient (expands with heat FASTER) than the titanium. Result? It would get tighter with heat. So maybe the reason nobody else posted that their mod dropped out was that I am the only one that used a Titanium tube! Now I repeat, use of the Red RTV solved the problem the second time around, but maybe the Titanium tube contributed to it in the first place.

Steve Page
Brentwood, TN
Rides
02 K1200LTC Very Black
92 TDM 850 Very Red

04 FZ1 Very Fast
post #35 of 51 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 6:25 pm

I just looked up Remus and cannot believe that someone would pay 1200 dollars for a muffler.

WOW!!!
post #36 of 51 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 6:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama
I just looked up Remus and cannot believe that someone would pay 1200 dollars for a muffler.

WOW!!!
Run, don’t walk but run and sell your bike now!!!!! Never get one again...

If you think that’s nothing more than the start of the money sunk into the LT, you would be wrong.... All farkled up, she will double the retail price and yet you may be able to get a 1/4 of that price back when you sell....

Think of it as a marriage, in the beginning you pay through the nose. By the middle you are content. At the end you may opt for plastic surgery, lipo or even implants!!!!!

Or as I do, just go out and buy yet another thing to add to "Barbara"

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #37 of 51 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Cool Re: A MUCH quieter Remus !!

Just Wondering:

I have had the Remus muffler and updated chipset for many years and I have the tubing insert also.

Just wondering if anyone has found a "Quieter" muffler with the same performance charistics as my current Remus / Tubing Insert setup?

I think it might be time to tone it down a little but I dont want to go back to the stock muffler.

Later

Steve A
post #38 of 51 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama

WOW!!!
+1 on that. What is the HP gain??

Al
Spokane
WA
post #39 of 51 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea2980
Just Wondering:

I have had the Remus muffler and updated chipset for many years and I have the tubing insert also.

Just wondering if anyone has found a "Quieter" muffler with the same performance charistics as my current Remus / Tubing Insert setup?

I think it might be time to tone it down a little but I dont want to go back to the stock muffler.

Later

Steve A
Change the shape of the outlet tube we are inserting
Gone to a tube slightly crushed on one end in the jaws of my 3 jaw lathe chuck making outlet end look like a odd shaped triangle. It further breaks down the sound waves into 3 parts rather than one ... no power loss either.

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #40 of 51 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Cool Re: A MUCH quieter Remus !!

Motorhead:

So restricting the airflow further doesnt present any problems??

Any pictures?

If a reduction in airflow is helping with the noise without a penalty in power I wonder what putting on the stock muffler would do? You would still have the chip and headers.....

Later Steve

Quote:
Gone to a tube slightly crushed on one end in the jaws of my 3 jaw lathe chuck making outlet end look like a odd shaped triangle. It further breaks down the sound waves into 3 parts rather than one ... no power loss either.
post #41 of 51 Old Aug 29th, 2010, 1:38 am

I wonder what would happen if the stock muffler was re-installed. You would still have the headers and chip installed.

Going to have to give that some thought.

Later Steve

Quote:
post #42 of 51 Old Aug 29th, 2010, 11:21 am Thread Starter

For one thing the OEM exhaust is one piece, it has no point to separate muffler from collector.
As for changing the outlet shape on add-on tip, it will increase the velocity the gas's leaving the muffler but do very little to actually make more back pressure that effects HP engine is making.
Because the Remus has such a large collector down stream of head pipes and a large volume muffler section it together is like a big surge chamber absorbing the flow by raising it internal pressure ever so slightly.
I get to hear what the outflow of gas's sounds like when up against a cement freeway partition at speed .... more a whoosh sound than a roar.

** Best part is your only fooling around with a replaceable insert that costs squat .... before you say it's too restrictive, try it and come to an educated first hand account of what it does for noise & power

Side note:
What this shape idea is based upon is simple sound wave energy dynamics. A sound wave leaving a round hole travels outward like a donut, think a man blowing cigarette smoke rings.
The bent outlet prevents this donut shape sound wave breaking the pulse energy into 3 parts of unequal amplitude .... what you hear no longer has a crisp pop pop to it.

Other pictures are muffer tips I use on ALL my race boat exhausts and been doing so for years practicing the idea of breaking up the shape of the sound wave has been proven to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea2980
Motorhead:

So restricting the airflow further doesnt present any problems??

Any pictures?

If a reduction in airflow is helping with the noise without a penalty in power I wonder what putting on the stock muffler would do? You would still have the chip and headers.....

Later Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1188.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	28529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Voodoo protopipe 007.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	28530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conquest Cat 3-15-08 003.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	28531  

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Aug 29th, 2010 at 11:45 am.
post #43 of 51 Old Aug 31st, 2010, 11:07 am

Motorhead:

Thanks for the pics. Thats what great about this board, you can always find someone who has been there / done that and has a better Idea.

Since I am a retired construction guy you would think I could find someone in Seattle with the right 3 jaw lathe LOL...............

I guess I will have to go on a search!

This sounds like the way to go and like you said its cheap urrr costs "Squat"

Later Steve A

PS - I wonder what a wooooooosh sounds like at "Low" RPM???? LOL

Quote:
For one thing the OEM exhaust is one piece, it has no point to separate muffler from collector.
As for changing the outlet shape on add-on tip, it will increase the velocity the gas's leaving the muffler but do very little to actually make more back pressure that effects HP engine is making.
Because the Remus has such a large collector down stream of head pipes and a large volume muffler section it together is like a big surge chamber absorbing the flow by raising it internal pressure ever so slightly.
I get to hear what the outflow of gas's sounds like when up against a cement freeway partition at speed .... more a whoosh sound than a roar.

** Best part is your only fooling around with a replaceable insert that costs squat .... before you say it's too restrictive, try it and come to an educated first hand account of what it does for noise & power

Side note:
What this shape idea is based upon is simple sound wave energy dynamics. A sound wave leaving a round hole travels outward like a donut, think a man blowing cigarette smoke rings.
The bent outlet prevents this donut shape sound wave breaking the pulse energy into 3 parts of unequal amplitude .... what you hear no longer has a crisp pop pop to it.

Other pictures are muffer tips I use on ALL my race boat exhausts and been doing so for years practicing the idea of breaking up the shape of the sound wave has been proven to work.
post #44 of 51 Old Aug 31st, 2010, 2:53 pm

Motorhead:

Thanks for your time today. Attached is my current Remus / Tubing setup.

Yes noise is the enemy now and it looks like earplugs are next on the agenda. I never did like them on the job but they were a necessity and I guess were at that point now.

The Seattle invite does not have an expiration date so if your around stop by.

Later

Steve A
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Current Tubing Setup.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	28572  
post #45 of 51 Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:58 pm

Another old post brought back from the dead. I love this forum. I have had my 2000 LT for about 5 years now and put a Remus system on it last year. I belong to the IBA (Iron Butt Association) and this past Saturday I did another 1058 mile ride all in one day. Somebody in this post earlier said he didn't like the loud , low noise made at lower rpm's under open throttle. I agree so tonight I trusted Google and did a search for quieter Remus. To my surprise the answer was right here 4 years ago on our forum. I will stop by my metals place on the way to work in the morning.

I can't wait.

Thanks.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon

Last edited by jzeiler; Sep 27th, 2019 at 9:35 am.
post #46 of 51 Old Sep 24th, 2019, 6:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
Another old post brought back from the dead. I love this forum. I have had my 2000 LT for about 5 years now and put a Remus system on it last year. I belong to the IBA (Iron Butt Association) and this past Saturday I did another 1058 mile ride all in one day. Somebody in this post earlier said he didn't like the loud , low noise made at lower rpm's under open throttle. I agree so tonight I trusted Google and did a search for quieter Remus. To my surprise the answer was right here 4 years ago on our forum. I will stop by my metals place on the way to work in the morning.

I can't wait.

Thanks.
Whoa! That's a lot of miles! You win!.......

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by jzeiler; Sep 27th, 2019 at 9:36 am.
post #47 of 51 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 11:01 pm

You know that was a long day. Ooops. Nobody has ever been able to tell me how I can go back and edit my mistake. That's 1058 miles.

The good news is I ordered some tubing off the net. In the meantime I found an under sink drain pipe fitting the right size and stuck a 4" piece in place. I went for a ride tonight and it made a difference. That annoying moaning sound at some settings is much reduced. Since it was only a test i did not attempt to secure the tube and after 30 miles when it fell out I could tell the difference. Can't wait for my tubing to arrive

post #48 of 51 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 5:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
You know that was a long day.

Years ago, I wanted to put a Remus exhaust system on my war horse but never got around to it. Since it was triked, the stock system modified/adapted and the fact the KLT model exhaust is no longer in production, I guess it's just a pipe dream now! I was hoping it would help mask the "Bucket-O-Bolts" sounds coming from the engine to a more aesthetic exhaust note.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #49 of 51 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 9:36 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
You know that was a long day. Ooops. Nobody has ever been able to tell me how I can go back and edit my mistake. That's 1058 miles.
Fixed it for you.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #50 of 51 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Fixed it for you.
Thank you kind sir.
Now why can't I fix my own post?
Nobody has ever explained how.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in