Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Middleburg, Fl, Usa
2006LT will not start
Finally replaced our old '99 LT (which was totaled by the insurance company after a crash- but that is another story), with a new-to-us 2006 with EHCS, anti-theft fob, full sound system, etc.
As is my custom, the first thing I do is a thorough going-over, replacing all fluids, etc. This is what was done:
1. Replaced engine oil/filter.
2. Replaced transmission/final drive oil.
3. Drained/replaced coolant.
4. Checked valve clearances (all exhaust valves are 1 thousand too tight, four intake valves are 1 thousand too tight). left them alone for another day.
5. Replaced fuel filter, pump inlet screen, internal tank hoses, fuel pump upper/lower vibration mounts, and fuel pump assembly tank gasket.
6. Replaced spark plugs. Old ones looked OK.
Now she will not start. Turns over fine, but will not start. Twice, it sounded like it caught, but not any more.
This is what I have done so far:
1. Placed the battery on a 6A unregulated charger to continue troubleshooting.
2. Checked the fuel disconnects- they look OK (gas drips out of both when disconnected).
3. Verified the plug wires appear to be seated and in the correct spot.
4. Checked the fuel filter is installed with the arrow pointing away from the pump, all internal hoses are clamped tight with no kinks.
5. I originally thought I was hearing the fuel pump, but I started to doubt it, so I disconnected the pump with the ignition on, then reconnected it. No sound.
6. Checked the fuel pump power- no volts with ignition on.
7. Checked the fuel pump fuse (fuse block 1 fuse 6?- 7.5A). Fuse OK.
8. Tried to nail it down by cranking while spraying starter fluid in the right-hand air intake. No start. No attempt to start.
9. The LED that should indicate activation of the immobilizer is out- but I am not sure how that system works.
All of the Tupperware is still off, including the radio unit. Wonder if that is part of the problem?
Any suggestions are welcome!
2006 BMW K1200LT
2010 BMW R1200RT
1999 BMW K1200LT
2007 Yamaha FZ6
1986 Suzuki GS550L
1985 Suzuki GS650L
1977 Kawasaki KZ650
1975 Kawasaki F7
1973 Honda CB175