Corbin back rest question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Corbin back rest question

1st a little background. I'm on my 3rd LT over the last 7 years and around 75,000 miles. 1st I put 35,000 miles on a used 2000 LT, then sprang for a brand new 2009 LT, and put another 35,000 miles on that one. That bike met its end in a collision with a SUV (the SUV won). No, luckily we wen't hurt, but they emergency personel insisted on taking us in to check us out. The finale bill for that took over 6 monthes to staighten out and cost our insurance company a litlle over $45,000 (I'm not exagerating). There ought to be a law..,

The destroyed bike was actually an easier fix. After the insurance company wrote me a check for bike #2 I found another used 2009 LT. Most of these miles have been 2 up, and I've always had the stock seat set up. 5 years ago my spouse bought me one of the Bakup driver backrests for my birthday which I loved.

So the third bike I bought (used, 10,000 miles) came with every farkle known to mankind on it. It came with Corbin seats and the passenger backrest. I guess I'm one of the the few that actually prefer the Corbin seat over stock. It is diffenitely Lower. The seller also gave me the stock seat and backrest that came with the bike. The bakup style backrest from the stock seat wouldn't work with the corbin seats becuase of the shape of the passenger seat. So I ordered a new Corbin Backrest. So, finally, here is my question..,

No matter how I adjust this new Corbin back rest, if I lean back far enough to actually support my back, then I can't reach the handlebars. I have reasonably long arms. I mean my knuckles don't drag on the ground when I walk around (if they did I'd probably be posting questions on the Harley forum instead) I'm 6'4" and wear a 16" 35" dress shirt.

There are about 3" between my back and the backrest as it sets. Anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Re: Corbin back rest question

Unfortunately the only ‘help’ I can offer is to commiserate with you on the issue. My arms to drag on the ground (16” 37” dress shirt here, barely long enough) and when I had the Corbin with backrest on my ’00 LT if I was leaning back into the backrest I could just barely reach the handgrips. I am 6’ and the only thing I did not like about the Corbin was that it sat too low for me to be comfortable. My knees were up in the air and causing me to get cramps in my hip. Anyway, I have reluctantly gone back to the stock seat and my Corbin sits in the garage mocking me – I’m just glad I bought it 2nd hand and didn’t pay new price for it.

Good luck, and know that you are not alone.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 11:30 pm

I had to adjust my Corbin backrest forward to meet my back. I wish it did more than just tilt the top forward, but I'll take what I can get.

To adjust the backrest, pivot it forward to where you want it like this. (The extreme forward tilt is for illustration only.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	51434  

'99 K1200LTC

'00 R1100RT
'98 H-D Road King Classic
'86 Suzuki Cavalcade LX
'79 Yamaha XS1100

MOA #179460
IBA #57873

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Then tighten the set screw to hold it in the chosen position:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	51442  

'99 K1200LTC

'00 R1100RT
'86 Suzuki Cavalcade LX
'79 Yamaha XS1100

MOA #179460
IBA #57873
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2014, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

I have tried the tilt / set screw adjustment, but don't like the fact that only the top part touchs my back. I'm contemplating heating the post up with a blow torch and bending it to bring the whole thing forward. Anyone tried that?
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2014, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirgwin View Post
No matter how I adjust this new Corbin back rest, if I lean back far enough to actually support my back, then I can't reach the handlebars.
Sorry, I missed this part of your original post. I agree with you, I wish the Corbin backrest gave lower-back support.

'99 K1200LTC

'00 R1100RT
'86 Suzuki Cavalcade LX
'79 Yamaha XS1100

MOA #179460
IBA #57873
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2014, 5:31 pm

I agree that I too love the Corbin seat. I just purchased a used 02 LT that had the full heated Corbin set up. It has the passenger backrest with the armrest and I would love to find a stock passenger backrest to use when my wife does not ride. She does not ride often so the stock passenger backrest would work better for me most of the time especially on trips because I have a travel bag that works better in passenger seat without those bulky armrests. I am rambling but my main question was whether you had a stock passenger backrest to sell at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in