Troubleshooting Radio, Horn, and HCS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Troubleshooting Radio, Horn, and HCS

Hey folks - happy Thursday!

Over the weekend I picked up a great (what I hope to be a great deal) 2005 K1200LT original owner with 26K miles and 100% maintained by his local BMW dealership in Tampa. I bought the bike knowing it had a few issues, I'm just not sure if they are all related such as a relay or bad ground but hoping someone mayhave experienced this before I begin tracing wires and pulling apart things. I'll attempt to be as specific as I can.

1. Radio - Plays for about 15 seconds then I lose sound, I can still see the display and switch from radio to cd etc just no sound. Then occasionally sound will kick back in and play for different entervals.

2. Horn - INOP

3. HCS - INOP. Centerstand indicator illuminates and I don't get the ! indicaton that I'm doing something incorrectly. I hear a relay/accuator of somesort but that's it.

Everything else works flawlessly. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Troubleshooting Radio, Horn, and HCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotronics View Post
Hey folks - happy Thursday!

Over the weekend I picked up a great (what I hope to be a great deal) 2005 K1200LT original owner with 26K miles and 100% maintained by his local BMW dealership in Tampa. I bought the bike knowing it had a few issues, I'm just not sure if they are all related such as a relay or bad ground but hoping someone mayhave experienced this before I begin tracing wires and pulling apart things. I'll attempt to be as specific as I can.

1. Radio - Plays for about 15 seconds then I lose sound, I can still see the display and switch from radio to cd etc just no sound. Then occasionally sound will kick back in and play for different entervals.

2. Horn - INOP

3. HCS - INOP. Centerstand indicator illuminates and I don't get the ! indicaton that I'm doing something incorrectly. I hear a relay/accuator of somesort but that's it.

Everything else works flawlessly. Any help would be highly appreciated.
1. Radio- sounds like the normal failure for this radio. You can get it repaired search for Radio repair and you should find a guy in England that has done a few repairs or send it the Becker in Ny.

2. Horn- not a normal failure you will have to provide a little more information.

3.-HCS Lots of information on various issues, could be a number of problems. Make sure you are not holding the brakes while trying to deploy. We will need to know if anything happens while you hold the button, any noises, partial deployment etc. It can be rebuilt from replacing the motor to rebuilding the pump. Or you could try to buy one from eBay or Bmw...for lots more money.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Hi John and thanks for the rapid response. Since it's a new machine to me, I wasn't certain if perhaps the issues were all related to a single source.

I haven't really done any troubleshooting at all yet, just got it Sunday, took it for a brief ride and then parked it. Hope to be able to spend some time on it this weekend.

For the HCS I hear a noise at the base of the stand but there's no movement or such. I put a full charge on the battery, however, the previous owner let the bike sit for almost a year due to work and traveling. I've read on the forum that if the bike doesn't read the correct battery amps that it may not function - could that be a possibility?

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 9:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi John and thanks for the rapid response. Since it's a new machine to me, I wasn't certain if perhaps the issues were all related to a single source.

I haven't really done any troubleshooting at all yet, just got it Sunday, took it for a brief ride and then parked it. Hope to be able to spend some time on it this weekend.

For the HCS I hear a noise at the base of the stand but there's no movement or such. I put a full charge on the battery, however, the previous owner let the bike sit for almost a year due to work and traveling. I've read on the forum that if the bike doesn't read the correct battery amps that it may not function - could that be a possibility?
If the battery is up to charge and holds the charge then sorry to say it will be a bigger problem with the center stand. There is a new post on center stand issues take a look there to start the trouble shooting. The noise you hear is most likely the motor trying to deploy the center stand. You may need to get someone to take a look at what is happening under the bike while you hold the button on. Does the center stand try to come down or just nothing happening?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

If the battery sat for a year with no recharge, then it likely is sulfated beyond recovery. I would invest in a new battery before doing much more trouble shooting.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in