oh another newbie clutch thread - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 8:35 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: winter park, fl, us
Posts: 9
oh another newbie clutch thread

Alright then, for my first post. New owner of a 06 k1200lt, I love my bike. Her name; Dinah, Dinah-moe.
We’ve had a stormy relationship but once you learn the bike it is a dream to ride.
I just came home from Daytona, and it was apparent the clutch had to be replaced. Of course this site is one of the best sites for help I’ve had the pleasure to use.
I’ve gotten elbows deep into the job without a Clymer’s, but it is so straightforward to a point.
I have found lots of video and write ups but I have noticed that there seems to be a shortage of information from the steps of removing the swing arm to actually pulling the transmission. I know, if I had a Clymer’s…
So, my question is; does the battery box meed to be removed to pull the transmission?

2006 K1200LT "DINAH MOE"
gcwerk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 11:53 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: winter park, fl, us
Posts: 9
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

so I just found what I was looking for in a post from 2012 that was brought to the top this morning. BlaubeeMR's most excellent write up was linked to.
my lucky day!

2006 K1200LT "DINAH MOE"
gcwerk is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 12:34 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Northern hemisphere
Posts: 594
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwerk View Post
...
So, my question is; does the battery box meed to be removed to pull the transmission?
No. It does not. Might be slight differences between bikes but I only needed 18mm "ring spanner" (is that correct word for the type of wrench?) to release the bolt holding transmission on the frame.

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
C-A-D is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 7:55 pm
Senior Member
 
gunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kings Mountain, NC, USA
Posts: 3,089
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Regular 18mm socket works OK. Put the socket on the nut, then come through the hole in the frame with an extension and it comes right off.

I just worked a regular 18mm combination wrench in there.

You will end up lowering the engine and the transmission, then crack them apart.

In the process of putting mine back together right now.

B D R
gunny is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 7:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,269
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

On my 05 I had to "bash" some metal under there to get the wrench on but nothing to worry about.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old May 7th, 2014, 12:12 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: winter park, fl, us
Posts: 9
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

OK, just to update this thread a little bit. I replaced the clutch parts and all the seals in the transmission; including the rear main and the o ring. All was well.
I reinstalled the transmission by myself (man ) but
I got it!
Then, BAM! I blew out my knee. After a couple of weeks of piddling with the bike I finally got her back together, took her for a ride and everything seemed OK!
BUT... there is always something isn't there? The input shaft seal behind the slave cylinder is leaking. I think, after the last tear down this is a piece of cake.
Anyway, I'd like to thank all the folks on this board that respond to these DIY type posts from us newbies, including all the past and future posters.

2006 K1200LT "DINAH MOE"
gcwerk is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old May 7th, 2014, 1:17 pm
Senior Member
 
hallzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gold Country, CA, USA
Posts: 2,571
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwerk View Post
OK, just to update this thread a little bit. I replaced the clutch parts and all the seals in the transmission; including the rear main and the o ring. All was well.
I reinstalled the transmission by myself (man ) but
I got it!
Then, BAM! I blew out my knee. After a couple of weeks of piddling with the bike I finally got her back together, took her for a ride and everything seemed OK!
BUT... there is always something isn't there? The input shaft seal behind the slave cylinder is leaking. I think, after the last tear down this is a piece of cake.
Anyway, I'd like to thank all the folks on this board that respond to these DIY type posts from us newbies, including all the past and future posters.
Did you put in a new slave cylinder? It's probably leaking. I've done several clutches on these beasts, and as a rule of thumb, since you have her torn apart, replace that slave cylinder.

Takes a lot of tearing apart to get the the slave. By now, you're probably getting pretty good at it!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
hallzee is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old May 7th, 2014, 1:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,148
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwerk View Post
so I just found what I was looking for in a post from 2012 that was brought to the top this morning. BlaubeeMR's most excellent write up was linked to.
my lucky day!
Lots of great help here, but you really should invest in at least one good manual. I have two and often find that one is more clear than the other on a given topic. I have Clymer in print and official BMW CD. I like to confirm key things like torque values and wear limits by consulting both.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old May 7th, 2014, 1:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,148
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
No. It does not. Might be slight differences between bikes but I only needed 18mm "ring spanner" (is that correct word for the type of wrench?) to release the bolt holding transmission on the frame.
It is probably the correct term somewhere! I think you may be referring to what we call a box end wrench in the US as compared to an open end wrench. A combination wrench has both configurations and is what I use most often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrench

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old May 14th, 2014, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: winter park, fl, us
Posts: 9
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

This is the thread that keeps on giving!
So, I ordered and replaced the rear transmission input shaft seal; piece of cake.
But, no luck, I still have a small amount of tranny fluid leaking out of the weep hole I drilled. I know it isn't the slave cylinder as the tranny fluid is Royal Purple.
I'm not sure what to do next (besides change the seal again) Let me qualify myself, before anyone says I suck at setting seals, that I was a certified auto mechanic for years so I understand setting seals and have done quite a few in my time.
So this time I am stymied, and defer to the great knowledge of the "hive"!
What's next and should I not drive it.

2006 K1200LT "DINAH MOE"
gcwerk is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old May 14th, 2014, 2:38 pm
Senior Member
 
dshealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,165
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwerk View Post
This is the thread that keeps on giving!
So, I ordered and replaced the rear transmission input shaft seal; piece of cake.
But, no luck, I still have a small amount of tranny fluid leaking out of the weep hole I drilled. I know it isn't the slave cylinder as the tranny fluid is Royal Purple.
I'm not sure what to do next (besides change the seal again) Let me qualify myself, before anyone says I suck at setting seals, that I was a certified auto mechanic for years so I understand setting seals and have done quite a few in my time.
So this time I am stymied, and defer to the great knowledge of the "hive"!
What's next and should I not drive it.
Sounds like you did not put the seal in to the proper depth. There is a specific dimension for it's depth, and there have been posts in the past regarding this depth, and the special tool to achieve it. Some have made the tool, hopefully someone will have one and loan it to you. The tool is not needed if you can find the dimension though, just mark a socket that will fit into the bore with the depth, then knock the seal in to the mark.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
dshealey is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old May 14th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
Sounds like you did not put the seal in to the proper depth. There is a specific dimension for it's depth, and there have been posts in the past regarding this depth, and the special tool to achieve it. Some have made the tool, hopefully someone will have one and loan it to you. The tool is not needed if you can find the dimension though, just mark a socket that will fit into the bore with the depth, then knock the seal in to the mark.
Go here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=special+tools for drawings.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old May 14th, 2014, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: winter park, fl, us
Posts: 9
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Yeah, I did the socket trick, I don't remember the depth I set it at but I marked the socket before I removed the factory seal. I used the weep hole videos and other materials for reference. I just now measured the tape line on the socket and that matched the dwg. of the tool.
Well, I think I'll change out the synthetic oil with dino and see if that makes any difference. I'm not to hopeful but I am going to try anyway.
if that doesn't help I guess I'll do it again. I think i'll see what some of the others on the board. thank you guys for your suggestions, it's great not having to deal with this stuff alone!

2006 K1200LT "DINAH MOE"
gcwerk is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old May 14th, 2014, 7:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,269
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

If you are going in again with a new seal I can send you a tool to get it at the right depth. I know I posted the socket method but that one is subject to error where the tool is not. Let me know.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old May 15th, 2014, 12:52 am
Super Moderator
 
dfinazzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waconia, MN, USA
Posts: 1,362
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

On my 2002 LT I ran synthetic and had a leaking rear main engine seal.
Replaced it before any clutch contamination and stopped using synthetic. No
more leaks. On my 2009 I only use dino oil and change it regular hoping for
the best. The BMW seal is not an impressive design from what I can tell and
comparing it to other seals. No scientifc or engineering facts here just a feeling
and my 2 cents . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
dfinazzo is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old May 16th, 2014, 7:10 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: winter park, fl, us
Posts: 9
Re: oh another newbie clutch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you are going in again with a new seal I can send you a tool to get it at the right depth. I know I posted the socket method but that one is subject to error where the tool is not. Let me know.
I really appreciate all the help you and all the other guys have put forth here in this thread and all the others on this board, and I will take you up on this offer if I need to go in and change that seal again.

I changed the gearbox oil and we'll see if that makes a difference.

Oh, one more thing, that device you made to help re-install the final drive...I made one from plywood and a footlong 4 x 6. Man what a difference that makes in reinstalling that thing!
Thanks again.

2006 K1200LT "DINAH MOE"
gcwerk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I fought the clutch and the clutch won. Slammer Chit Chat 3 Apr 15th, 2013 12:56 am
Clutch Failures - 2 at 20,000 miles Hanshi K1200LT 49 Oct 5th, 2012 6:53 pm
Clutch adjustment luis K1200LT 10 Sep 5th, 2010 12:08 pm
What's worse then a slipping clutch on a 2005 LT? smithbs K1200LT 6 Apr 22nd, 2009 11:19 am
Is it time to start drilling TWO weep holes? Dean_BMW K1200LT 10 Dec 5th, 2007 6:29 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome