storage space? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:17 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
storage space?

Ever seen someone who can't leave well enough alone? Okay I'm that guy...

I bought my lt so that my wife and I could travel say one to two weeks at a time. Having said that I don't have a place for a trailer, nor do I want to pull a trailer.

My problem is that I highly misjudged the storage capacity of the bike, and my wife likes to pack anything, and everything that she thinks might be useful!

I currently have the standard side bags, and trunk, as well as a trunk rack (which sits atop the trunk).

I'm considering adding a piece of 1/4" or so flat aluminum plate something to the effect of an extended fort worth rack which would bolt to the bed, then the box would bolt on top of it. I would probably extend it about 16-18" from the rear of the trunk to accommodate a duffle bag, or something of the sort.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
superstan26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:47 pm
Member
 
Tobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA
Posts: 75
Re: storage space?

It's a great thing when the wife likes to ride! I, too, am one of those fortunate ones. However, it sounds like you may want to start working on her "minimalist" side. I would be curious to see how the extended rack thing may work out. You'd definately want to pack lighter items on that if you choose to go that route. I'd caution you to be sensitive to weight distribution and tinkering too much with the center of gravity. Bad things can happen when you get on the wrong side of physics.

Toby

03 K1200LT
Tobster is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobster View Post
It's a great thing when the wife likes to ride! I, too, am one of those fortunate ones. However, it sounds like you may want to start working on her "minimalist" side. I would be curious to see how the extended rack thing may work out. You'd definately want to pack lighter items on that if you choose to go that route. I'd caution you to be sensitive to weight distribution and tinkering too much with the center of gravity. Bad things can happen when you get on the wrong side of physics.
I agree that physics are important, but being directly inline with the trunk I don't really see a problem.... not like a 15-20 pound bag will make me ride a wheelie?

I'm sure I can get her to whittle things down a bit, but she's used to driving suvs. :-)
superstan26 is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:12 pm
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Re: storage space?

I think you would be better served by reading some articles on how back packers/climbers prepare for expeditions. You can probably EASILY pack double the amount of gear you currently have just by following their simple advice on space utilization. If you want to go all in there are hundreds of new products out there which pack down to almost nothing - for a price.

Wife's shoes excepted.

Keep in mind this advice comes from a guy that brings along a full sized beach umbrella inside his trailer. Just because I can. I'm currently trying to figure out how to mount the surfboard.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:31 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller View Post
I think you would be better served by reading some articles on how back packers/climbers prepare for expeditions. You can probably EASILY pack double the amount of gear you currently have just by following their simple advice on space utilization. If you want to go all in there are hundreds of new products out there which pack down to almost nothing - for a price.

Wife's shoes excepted.

Keep in mind this advice comes from a guy that brings along a full sized beach umbrella inside his trailer. Just because I can. I'm currently trying to figure out how to mount the surfboard.
Give me a few months and I'll probably have some details about how my wife mounted her surfboard. :-)
superstan26 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 2:12 am
cws
Senior Member
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,183
Garage
Re: storage space?

If either of you figure out how to mount a surfboard, let me in on it!
I had to stick it on a trailer last time...




oh, BTW... some of the EU guys have photo's of racks that sit off their towbars, keeps the weight lower to the ground but they aren't pulling an extra set of wheels.
I think Ari (pozo_izquierdo) has pics of it on his bike, as have others.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ulysses #45310
GS911


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by cws; Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:19 am.
cws is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 7:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: storage space?

I pulled a trailer for 4 year with the LT & it was great for packing. When I sold the LT for a K1600GTL I wanted to get back to the basics so I sold the trailer. We can pack for 1 week on the bike but for anything longer (like 2 weeks) we just ship what we need for the second week to a hotel along our route. Then when we get to that hotel we ship the dirty close home. This way is a lot easier & you do not have to over pack the bike.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 7:50 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
I pulled a trailer for 4 year with the LT & it was great for packing. When I sold the LT for a K1600GTL I wanted to get back to the basics so I sold the trailer. We can pack for 1 week on the bike but for anything longer (like 2 weeks) we just ship what we need for the second week to a hotel along our route. Then when we get to that hotel we ship the dirty close home. This way is a lot easier & you do not have to over pack the bike.
That sounds practical.
superstan26 is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
If either of you figure out how to mount a surfboard, let me in on it!
I had to stick it on a trailer last time...




oh, BTW... some of the EU guys have photo's of racks that sit off their towbars, keeps the weight lower to the ground but they aren't pulling an extra set of wheels.
I think Ari (pozo_izquierdo) has pics of it on his bike, as have others.
I have never seen a trailer that big on a bike! No wonder they call these Light Trucks
Buff8stuff is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 9:06 am
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: storage space?

Look at the pic next to my site name. The wife always go with and I bought a nylon bag that comes with its own built in bungees and mounts to the trunk rack. She has been trained to pack all her dainty light weight things in the nylon bag on the trunk then clothes in the trunk then the seven hundred pounds of girl maintenance equipment in 1-1/2 of the side cases. That leaves me half a side case for my one pair of socks, undies, shirt deodorant and tooth brush. I don't even notice the nylon bag even in wind. It also comes off easy and carries like a piece of luggage.
norton is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 9:29 am
Member
 
KingAlbertinacan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Round Rock, Texas, USA
Posts: 62
Talking Re: storage space?

do what I did and buy her a ride. that way she can pack what she wants on her bike. I also noticed it cut the road noise down a great deal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	741.1 KB
ID:	51250  
KingAlbertinacan is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 11:42 am
Member
 
triumphguy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pisgah Forest, NC, United States
Posts: 82
Re: storage space?

I have 2 Kriega us20 bags, Guaranteed water proof and hold a lot of stuff. I put them on the trunk rack and they snap together for easy on and off. They also fit well into the side bags on short trips. I have a us30 that can go on trunk rack and the 20's snap to it and still have trunk and side bags for heavier things. We also buy t shirts along the way and ship dirty stuff home if needed.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
triumphguy13 is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 11:55 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Look at the pic next to my site name. The wife always go with and I bought a nylon bag that comes with its own built in bungees and mounts to the trunk rack. She has been trained to pack all her dainty light weight things in the nylon bag on the trunk then clothes in the trunk then the seven hundred pounds of girl maintenance equipment in 1-1/2 of the side cases. That leaves me half a side case for my one pair of socks, undies, shirt deodorant and tooth brush. I don't even notice the nylon bag even in wind. It also comes off easy and carries like a piece of luggage.
I was aware of these. I priced them on eBay at around a Benjamin each. I was thinking of getting two, one for the trunk rack, and one for the extended fort worth style rack I intended to add. I think I'm going to do some trial packing, and see how things come out. Then decide how much frivolity I can ditch, then see how much additional space is warranted.
superstan26 is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 11:59 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlbertinacan View Post
do what I did and buy her a ride. that way she can pack what she wants on her bike. I also noticed it cut the road noise down a great deal
Tried that. It may work down the road, but right now I'm doing good to get her to ride with me!

Besides we have Bluetooth communication so it wouldn't change the road noise* if I understood you correctly. :-)
superstan26 is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 12:02 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy13 View Post
I have 2 Kriega us20 bags, Guaranteed water proof and hold a lot of stuff. I put them on the trunk rack and they snap together for easy on and off. They also fit well into the side bags on short trips. I have a us30 that can go on trunk rack and the 20's snap to it and still have trunk and side bags for heavier things. We also buy t shirts along the way and ship dirty stuff home if needed.
That sounds nice, but I was leary about putting too much on the trunk, not only for the trunks sake, but also the handling attributes.

Have you any concern, or do you notice that the bags effect the handling/maneuverability of the bike?

Last edited by superstan26; Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:14 pm.
superstan26 is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 5:48 pm
Member
 
triumphguy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pisgah Forest, NC, United States
Posts: 82
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstan26 View Post
That sounds nice, but I was leary about putting too much on the trunk, not only for the trunks sake, but also the handling attributes.

Have you any concern, or do you notice that the bags effect the handling/maneuverability of the bike?
I haven't noticed a change. I try and keep heavy stuff in saddle bags so CG is low. I like the fact that it gives me so many options and they come with backpack straps to carry them around if needed, inside of bag comes out if you need to clean it, I just think they are a good all around bag with a great warranty. I use them now for regular travel because they hold so much and easy to carry. I do roll all my cloths when I pack, saw it on some travel tips show and have done it ever since.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
triumphguy13 is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Senior Member
 
azccj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ, US
Posts: 181
Re: storage space?

When my girlfriend comes riding on long trips with me, I hand her one of the saddlebag liners and tell her she can take whatever she wants as long as it will fit in the liner.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
azccj is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,144
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
I pulled a trailer for 4 year with the LT & it was great for packing. When I sold the LT for a K1600GTL I wanted to get back to the basics so I sold the trailer. We can pack for 1 week on the bike but for anything longer (like 2 weeks) we just ship what we need for the second week to a hotel along our route. Then when we get to that hotel we ship the dirty close home. This way is a lot easier & you do not have to over pack the bike.
There are also these neat places called laundromats.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 8:52 am
Member
 
CameronM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hexham, Northumberland, UK
Posts: 49
Re: storage space?

I can recommend using large ziplock bags for clothing and soft items. These come in various sizes and you will be amazed how much you can store in them when you squeeze out all the air. Roll them, sit on them or whatever works best to get all the air out. Some come with valves that will fit a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the air - I use these but find that kneeling on them to press the air out through the valve is sufficient. My wife was most embarrassed at the thought of me asking housekeeping at a hotel for the use of their vacuum cleaner before checking out - so far that hasn't been necessary.
CameronM is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 9:22 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
There are also these neat places called laundromats.
Yea but who wants to do laundry on vacation??

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 11:14 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,144
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Yea but who wants to do laundry on vacation??
Those of us too cheap to ship clothes arounnd the country.

More importantly for me is my motorcycle vacations are highly unstructured. My work is highly structured and planned so I want my vacations to be just the opposite. I don't want to have to be at a certain place at a certain time to pick up a package. Spending an evening in the hotel laundry or laundromat is a small price to pay for flexibility.

However, for those with planned itineraries, the shipping method is very effective. So is buying new clothes and throwing away the dirty ones. That is what the well-heeled BMW rider does!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 12:54 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Those of us too cheap to ship clothes arounnd the country.

More importantly for me is my motorcycle vacations are highly unstructured. My work is highly structured and planned so I want my vacations to be just the opposite. I don't want to have to be at a certain place at a certain time to pick up a package. Spending an evening in the hotel laundry or laundromat is a small price to pay for flexibility.

However, for those with planned itineraries, the shipping method is very effective. So is buying new clothes and throwing away the dirty ones. That is what the well-heeled BMW rider does!
Most of my vacation are going somewhere Like CCR or other things so it makes shipping easy. Last year I tried to get the hotel laundry service at CCR to clean a few things & they messed that up so I had to do laundry myself. Really cuts into my riding time.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 1:06 pm
cwo
Senior Member
 
cwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Baldwin City, KS, USA
Posts: 374
Re: storage space?

I have an air-ride trailer for sale, Ocean Blue that matches the 05 LT. Let me know if you are interested.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
cwo is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,144
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Most of my vacation are going somewhere Like CCR or other things so it makes shipping easy. Last year I tried to get the hotel laundry service at CCR to clean a few things & they messed that up so I had to do laundry myself. Really cuts into my riding time.
Yes, shipping is a great solution for a fixed destination trip like a rally.

My trips tend to be to a region, but little fixed planning beyond that. I am headed to NS this summer and, time permitting, maybe a hop up to NL. That is the extent of my trip planning! I look for a hotel or B&B during my lunch stop and call at that time if I feel a reservation is needed.

And I like to read, so I do laundry late at night when most others are not at the laundromat. I get in some good reading time and it doesn't affect my riding as I don't ride much between 10 PM and midnight.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Mar 19th, 2014 at 7:23 pm.
Voyager is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:33 pm
Senior Member
 
vespacar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontairo, Canada
Posts: 151
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Yea but who wants to do laundry on vacation??
Most laundry's have that great "Drop off/Pick up" Laundry in 2 min. Do this when I'm in Vegas all the time, when airlines charge for extra suitcases. Drop off in the morning and pick-up in the afternoon. Nice, neat and folded. Most it's ever cost me is $10. Well worth the price.


Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vespacar is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:44 pm
Senior Member
 
vespacar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontairo, Canada
Posts: 151
Re: storage space?

Gonna be on the road for a month straight with a bit of camping so I bit the bullet and went with one of these:









Not my bike, but gives me a really good idea on what it will look like.


http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/in...trailers_specs


Locally built and should just about cover my needs. Getting painted to match this week. Just waiting for some good weather to get it installed.


Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vespacar is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 11:38 pm
Senior Member
 
Gruivis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA
Posts: 1,154
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
When my wife comes riding on long trips with me, I hand her one of the saddlebag liners and tell her she can take whatever she wants as long as it will fit in the liner.
+1, Besides she can always stop at Victoria's Secret to get as needed items


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Gruivis is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 10:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,263
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespacar View Post
Gonna be on the road for a month straight with a bit of camping so I bit the bullet and went with one of these:



http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/in...trailers_specs
Just don't pull any wheelies like that Busa in the video. I was waiting for him to wipe out. Guess this outfit caters to the wild ones.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old Mar 21st, 2014, 6:52 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Just don't pull any wheelies like that Busa in the video. I was waiting for him to wipe out. Guess this outfit caters to the wild ones.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Now I have to decide what's right for me. I'll let you know after I get a few trips under my belt!
superstan26 is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 4:50 pm
Senior Member
 
davebullock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: waukesha, WI, USA
Posts: 420
Re: storage space?

1. Put what you want for the week on the bed. Remove half, pack the rest

2. We never have reservations, and simply get to an area and say 'that looks like a nice road, let's go,' so planning to meet another set of clothes somewhere isn't appealing

3. We go for two weeks average. Halfway through or so, we find a landromat, near a gas station, near a local diner, throw the clothes in, while eating, getting gas, perhaps cleaning the bike, and in two hours, we're ready to go, clean and fed.

4. Best post, though, was 'buy new clothes, throw out dirty ones!'

5. About this time of year, it's time to get out the maps, start planning and look under the cover of the bike-few more weeks maybe
davebullock is online now  
post #31 of 36 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 8:27 pm
Sit
Senior Member
 
Sit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 426
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronM View Post
I can recommend using large ziplock bags for clothing and soft items. These come in various sizes and you will be amazed how much you can store in them when you squeeze out all the air. Roll them, sit on them or whatever works best to get all the air out. Some come with valves that will fit a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the air - I use these but find that kneeling on them to press the air out through the valve is sufficient. My wife was most embarrassed at the thought of me asking housekeeping at a hotel for the use of their vacuum cleaner before checking out - so far that hasn't been necessary.
I use this method too. The space saver bags by Ziploc take a huge amount of clothing and when loaded right and rolled to squeeze the air out you end up with a very small dense bag. BUT I use a trailer too on longer trips. Don't have much space either so I went with a Unigo. LOVE it! Cannot tell it is on the bike, wheels into the hotel room at night and easily stores out of the way.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
Sit is offline  
post #32 of 36 Old Mar 26th, 2014, 1:05 am
Senior Member
 
BecketMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,522
Re: storage space?

I pack a change of clothing into a zip lock bag, roll it up to get rid of the air and then tape it shut. Another baggie has just underware and socks in it; another underware, socks and shirt.

An old timer told me to use underware and socks I was planning on throwing away, chuck 'em while en-route which frees up space for tourist T-ee shirts etc.

Out here, low humidity, was socks, underware, T-ee shirt in bathroom sink, rinse, hang up to dry over night. I can do blue jeans also, but I wash them while I shower, and don't worry if they aren't completely dry.

If I had dual antennas in the rear, I could set up a laundry line between them and dry things out while riding? :-))

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
BecketMa is offline  
post #33 of 36 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 12:30 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Just wanted to let everyone know that although I haven't made my trip to CA yet. I have purchased a bunkhouse trailer. Not the direction I was planning to go, but I found a deal that I couldn't pass up on a 2010 with a king sized bed so now I solved my desire for more motorcycle storage, as well as a nice alternative to a rooftop tent for my land cruiser!
superstan26 is offline  
post #34 of 36 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Leduc , Alberta , Canada
Posts: 296
Re: storage space?

We'll as you have solved your storage issue I am glad. My only suggestion was to be rolling your clothes up and not folding. My father told me years ago when he was in the merchant navy this is how they saved space in their naps sacks they used to carry on their shoulders.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
Chayside is offline  
post #35 of 36 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 5:21 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Re: storage space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
We'll as you have solved your storage issue I am glad. My only suggestion was to be rolling your clothes up and not folding. My father told me years ago when he was in the merchant navy this is how they saved space in their naps sacks they used to carry on their shoulders.
We often use this practice as well, and will continue to do so. Not only does it save space, it also tends tominimize wrinkling. Thanks for the suggestions!
superstan26 is offline  
post #36 of 36 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 10:59 pm
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,383
Re: storage space?

What about Vacuum space bags for her/your clothes. You can add almost 1/4 more luggage.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
james216 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storage Under Seat 150flyer RT Series 31 Jan 17th, 2012 9:34 pm
Storage space for the trike, Florida PePa South East 4 Mar 21st, 2009 12:36 pm
warehouse space/dead storage RaffyK Northern California 0 Aug 22nd, 2006 3:58 pm
Personal email now provided to all bmwlt.com subscribers Randy Announcements 0 Oct 24th, 2005 4:37 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome