Tire Balancing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Tire Balancing

Has anyone here ever tried the Dyna Beads for tire balancing? Just curious if they worked for you.

Chief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Garage
Re: Tire Balancing

not me, but if you click the search button and put in dyna beads there is a lot of info

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Just the other day I was talking with the master tech at the local BMW shop here and he said a tire rep was recently in there and advised against the beads because - according to the rep - they've seen evidence that they erode the tire from the inside. I'd not heard that before, but I haven't run them much either. I just changed out the rear on mine and put some Ride On in it. I'll give that a go this round to see how it does.

Toby

03 K1200LT

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:34 pm

I've run Dyna Beads now for a couple of years. About 35 - 40 K miles. I have seen that the loose rubber inside the tire will transfer to the beads but not to a point that I would be worried about. I've taken off tires without Dyna Beads that have rubber balls in them. I do love the way that the tires ride and wear evenly. With Dyna Beads the tread is the same depth all the way around. I've also started running them in the older bikes that have tubes in them. Same end result with the tread and ride.
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 9:09 am

I have been extremely happy with Ride-On tire sealant and balancer. Use it all my tubeless tired bikes with great results plus the benefit of a sealant. Also no problem with residue on rims when replacing tires.
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 9:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry about the hi-jack, but I have been considering the ride-on and am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any real difference in the formulas for motorcycles, atvs and cars. We often take our camper into unimproved camping areas and flats on the SUV, the trailer and the 4 wheelers are fairly common. I would like to be able to just buy one five gallon for everything, but if there are significant differences that could effect ride or performance, I would buy the products labeled for each vehicle.
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 7:15 pm

I have used Dynabeads for several years and I wouldn't go back to wheel weights. Like what was said, tires wear evenly and I think tread life is extended. Snake oil or not, it's good snake oil. Works for me.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Last year i put a set of tires on my shadow. I had heard about the Dynabeads and thought i would give them a try. The instructions if i remember correctly was something like 3/4 ounce for the front tire and maybe 11/2 for the rear tire. When i took the tires and wheels to have them mounted the front tire was almost perfect with no weights what so ever and the rear only needed about an 1/2 ounce. SO why pour all those beads in the tire when they are not needed. I have also read where the beads can work their way into the valve stem and cause the tire to loose pressure. I have no problem using wheel weights and painting them to match the rim so they are pretty much invisible. Since then i purchased a BMW that is going to need tires pretty soon. I'm going to use the weights, cant go wrong that way and only use what it takes to balance the wheel and tire.
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 8:15 am

Amazing. Dyna Beads work just fine. I've been using them for years and wouldn't go back to wheel weights if you gave me free tires.

For one thing, they practically eliminate the front wheel shimmy at 20 to 30 mph, which weights won't do. I've experienced it both ways and prefer the feel of beads. Naturally, tire pressure needs to be maintained to get effective performance from any tire.

Yes, they can fall into the valve stem so check your tire pressure when the valve isn't at the 6 o'clock position (Duh!)

Also, I've run Metzeler and Bridgestone and have never seen interior rubber erosion caused by beads. They're very light, ceramic, round, and don't work well as an abrasive. Any dealer who says differently is just trying to sell a superfluous wheel balancing service.

In my lifetime, I've noticed that most people's opinions (especially sales people) are based on money, urban myth and superstition instead of actual experience.

If someone states their opinion, okay, that's their perception of things, no problem. But if they try to change my mind or sell me something then I want to know about their personal experiences to know whether that opinion is worth listening to.
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 9:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

+1 on the prior positive comments. I've used them for the last four years with outstanding results. I had 11K on both front and rear tires, with nice even wear on both. Actually, I think that I could have squeezed another 1k out of them, but decided not to push my luck.
As for interior tire wear, two weeks ago I replaced both front and rear tires (ME 880s). In response to rumors about interior damage, I made it a point to visually check the used tires for abnormal interior wear from Dyna-Bead movement. My thought was that if there was significant damage, that I would return to tire weights. I saw nothing, so I'm stickin' with the beads...

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 9:43 am

Can anyone give me a definative answer as to whether the Dyna-beads will work with the TPMS on the new RT?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
post #12 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:07 am

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/counteract/

Counter act states theirs will not harm the TPMS systems valve stems.

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainB View Post
Can anyone give me a definative answer as to whether the Dyna-beads will work with the TPMS on the new RT?
I mount many tires for riders in my area. On the factory TPMS rims I leave the original weights on the rims & install one ounce of beads in the front & two ounces in the rear tire. The original weights basically keep the rim balanced because of the extra weight of the TPMS.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I mount many tires for riders in my area. On the factory TPMS rims I leave the original weights on the rims & install one ounce of beads in the front & two ounces in the rear tire. The original weights basically keep the rim balanced because of the extra weight of the TPMS.
This is a little off topic but is there any reason the weights needed to balance the rim cannot be stuck on the inside of the rim like the TPMS?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #15 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:34 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55 View Post
This is a little off topic but is there any reason the weights needed to balance the rim cannot be stuck on the inside of the rim like the TPMS?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I don't know of any glue or epoxy that could withstand the centrifugal force of the weight. Short of welding or bolting the weight on I don't know how you could guarantee the weight would not fly off.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2014, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

First, I want to say THANKS to all that responded. It seems to be a positive experience with the majority and I think I will go with the beads.
Now I'm wondering if tires with 5-6K miles on them will balance out and eventually wear back to an even tread or wait till time to replace.
Chief
post #17 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2014, 10:22 pm

Garage

no they wont magically repair themselves, the tyre will still wear at the same rate (uneven) even if you balance the wheel, you may as well wait for the next set

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in