What Spark plugs are recommended. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

What Spark plugs are recommended.

Well. I seem to be in a hole that I keep sinking deeper in. LOL. I originally started out pulling panels to pull the radio to send for amp upgrade and aux output to Baris. And install pass floorboards and Ztechnik armrests for the wife(Thanks Handy dude) .But because I bought this LT used. I don't know what was done & when. So I thought ...Your right there. Why not do fuel and air filter..Then Looking at the Maint schedule. It seems the plugs are due for replacement also as Well.Then I thought to myself again. Your right there. Why not change the coolant. Ok. Then once again.There's that voice again. Your right there. Why not replace the Quick fuel disconnects. So I ordered those from Racer parts. Dollars are adding up. Oh yea.I forgot. I bought a Zumo550 GPS I need to install that to. Wheew!!So. On to my point. What plugs are recommended OEM,and what type are even better? Iridium?? After all. What's a few more $$$ right?..Thanks..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Re: What Spark plugs are recommended.

The OE plug is Bosch XR7LDC, a set (4) from Beemerboneyard runs about $26. As an alternative you can use NGK DPR7EA-9 (regular) or DPR7EIX-9 (iridium). Note that the hex size on the NGK's is 5/8" and the Bosch is 3/4". The Bosch has dual ground electrodes. Unless you plan to keep the iridiums in there for 100,000 their value may be questionable.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

Last edited by andres; Mar 16th, 2014 at 3:50 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Just done the same, fuel filter, air filter, quick disconnects and plugs. Replaced the NGK plugs with the Bosch plugs and the engine is running far sweater on the Bosch plugs, though don't know how many miles the old plugs had done.

While we were at it, also changed the exhaust nuts as they were very corroded with some of the studs coming out instead. The nuts needed some persuasion to come of the studs, having to hack saw cuts in them to weaken the nut so they could be removed.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Doing the same, new to me too. Plus you never know what the previous owner did. Once I pulled the air cleaner and saw how clean it was I was not too worried. It wasn't 30K dirty. More like 6K dirty which is what it should have been. Not hard, but just time consuming. Just got the final drive, tranny oil, and clutch fluid to do. I'll leave the brake fluid to the dealer this time. It's now how much you spent on parts it's what you saved over this thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37442

Plus now I know the bike better and don't have to worry about a lot of issues. Hopefully it will start and not leak when I finally start her up.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Got the NGK's . Happen to know the gap? I can look it up. Just as easy to ask a senior member.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Got the NGK's . Happen to know the gap? I can look it up. Just as easy to ask a senior member.
I've never gapped either the NGKs nor the Boschs - tech manual sez electrode gappage not necessary. Wouldn't know where to find gap figure.
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Gap on NGK DPR7EA-9 should be 0.9mm, that's what the "-9" means after the number.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Thank you....

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in