clutch not working - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 13th, 2014, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

clutch not working

2 years after selling my last 05 LT, I've just bought another! This is my 3rd 05 in 8 years...

Previous guy was the original owner and appears to have taken extremely good care of her. She has only 10k on the clock and looks barely a year old as its been garaged and polished regularly. He changed the oil (synthetic) for me and said he changed all the fluids last year ). The service manual conveyed with the purchase. Sorry for the Soap opera, but I thought these details might be important.

I made the trip from NJ down to DC on Superbowl Sunday and she drove perfectly (180 miles). She's been parked in my garage on the centerstand ever since.

As this has been the coldest and snowest winter in years, I hadn't had an opportunity to ride til this evening as I also just recently purchased a used Gerbing jacket and gloves. She fired right up and I backed her out the garage. As I went to turn the bike around toward the street, the infamous tip over occurred. This was my softest drop ever on the left side at 0 mph. I caught her and let her down gently, before reversing myself (using the proven backside walk up method) and easily lifted her back upright. I hadn't had to do that in years!

So all plugged up... me, my new jacket and gloves were underway, when I immediately felt the clutch go weird. She shifted okay at first but eventually my 20 mile inaugural ride turned into a "limp home and pray" event. The 1 2 3 dial on the clutch handle clicked easily, giving some resistance but ultimately things aren't really engaging...

Anybody have any good news? Should I attempt a limp to my nearest service or tow?

P.S.
I live 25 mins to Bobs BMW or 20 mins to Battley Cycle...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 13th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Re: clutch not working

I suspect air got into the system when the bike took a nap, especially if the left reservoir was not at full level.
The good news is that bleeding the air out is not difficult. Not sure if you do your own maintenance; otherwise it is something the dealer can do rather quickly.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
I suspect air got into the system when the bike took a nap, especially if the left reservoir was not at full level.
The good news is that bleeding the air out is not difficult. Not sure if you do your own maintenance; otherwise it is something the dealer can do rather quickly.
First instinct of mine is "+1"...

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just rotate the bars to the far right and put a tie on the clutch lever holding it in part way. Leave over night and check again in the morning. This may allow the air to escape back into the reservoir.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 6 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 8:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'll disagree with John on this one. Open the reservoir cap and see how much fluid is in there. Holding the lever down blocks the relief hole between the master cylinder and the pressure in the slave cylinder, so just make sure the hole isn't clogged and let it set overnight with the bars turned all the way to the right so the reservoir is the highest point in the system. If clogged, clear it with a small diameter wire. Then in the morning, gently and slowly work the lever and watch for air coming from the relief hole. Hopefully you'll see some and that'll cure it. Cover the hole with a quarter before you work the lever or fluid will shoot everywhere. If it's still soft you'll need to pull the right panel and try bleeding the clutch.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Mar 14th, 2014 at 8:39 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 15th, 2014, 7:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Notice I said "part way", as this does open the vent hole (as in the squirt you get). Pull it all the way in and it does block the vent.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in