ABS system removal on a 2005 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

ABS system removal on a 2005

Hi everyone I hope the answer to this is a "yes" has anybody managed to do an ABS servo modulator removal on a 2005 LT I'm having trouble with mine at the moment and a new unit is 1500 which is way out of my pocket at the moment. If the system is removed I don't think the speedo would work has anyone worked around this yet?

Cheers Bren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Re: ABS system removal on a 2005

There are company's that rebuild them. One I believe is in Germany for about 1/2.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

On an 05 and up you loose both the odometer and the speedometer as both signal come from the ABS. You could leave the unit in electrically but disconnect or bypass it hydraulically.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 11:32 am

One interesting question (at least for me ) is: Has anybody successfully done this with newer (servo powered brakes). I mean are measurements of main & slave cylinders such that you get enough braking power after bypassing the servo-hydraulics? The old ABSII is simple and the braking power comes from the brake lever but are these servo-powered units built to operate perhaps only by servo? Perhaps stupid question but the system could have been designed so that you won't get enough braking power without servo.

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
On an 05 and up you loose both the odometer and the speedometer as both signal come from the ABS. You could leave the unit in electrically but disconnect or bypass it hydraulically.
I did wonder if that would work - just remove the hydraulics and leave the electrical circuit connected. Here in the UK it will pass its ministry test along as you remove the whole system, I'm hoping someone will chip in and say they've done it, I suppose it's only a matter of time before it's investigated.
Cheers Bren
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
One interesting question (at least for me ) is: Has anybody successfully done this with newer (servo powered brakes). I mean are measurements of main & slave cylinders such that you get enough braking power after bypassing the servo-hydraulics? The old ABSII is simple and the braking power comes from the brake lever but are these servo-powered units built to operate perhaps only by servo? Perhaps stupid question but the system could have been designed so that you won't get enough braking power without servo.
Maybe if the part numbers for the master cylinders were compared across the different systems, and the calliper piston surface areas were investigated and found to be the same as the other models you would think that it would give comparable braking efficiency. Does anybody have this info?
Cheers Bren
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Try modulemasters.com

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 9:31 pm

My 2006 has hydraulic brakes only and I have all speedo, cruise, lights, etc functionality by doing what John mentions. I took the electronic piece off the iABS module and plugged it back into the large plug on the bike. This allows everything to work great.

Regarding the Master cylinders, yes they are the same size as the non-servo version of our K1200LT's and work great with straight hydraulic pressure.

Module Masters told me last month that they are not sure when they will be rebuilding the iABS modules, but could be in a few months. They been saying this since August 2013. I pulled my module in Sept and re-plumbed it with Speigler SS lines and I love it. Works great, quiet and smooth.

Very do-able and nice results on my bike. I've put several thousand on it since Sept with no issues at all. YMMV

Hope this helps.

Sammy
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2014, 3:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroover View Post
My 2006 has hydraulic brakes only and I have all speedo, cruise, lights, etc functionality by doing what John mentions. I took the electronic piece off the iABS module and plugged it back into the large plug on the bike. This allows everything to work great.

Regarding the Master cylinders, yes they are the same size as the non-servo version of our K1200LT's and work great with straight hydraulic pressure.

Module Masters told me last month that they are not sure when they will be rebuilding the iABS modules, but could be in a few months. They been saying this since August 2013. I pulled my module in Sept and re-plumbed it with Speigler SS lines and I love it. Works great, quiet and smooth.

Very do-able and nice results on my bike. I've put several thousand on it since Sept with no issues at all. YMMV

Hope this helps.

Sammy
That's good to hear thanks for your input, I have been offered a secondhand unit which I'm going to fit, it comes with a six month warranty so if it doesn't perform I will do a conversion, did you discard all the steel pipes and fit SS braided in their place?
Cheers Bren
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2014, 8:37 am

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Sammy
This is awesome, I was wondering if BMW did the typical overengineering and put on tiny masters. Glad to hear the masters are normal sized and just plumbing around the Servo assist and ABS will make a bike functional again. I hope mine lasts for a good long time, but at least I have an option to go to standard brakes if needed.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2014, 11:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Sammy
Next time you have her stripped down, can you take some pictures of how it looks? I really like ABS, but I would not like paying to get it fixed should mine die.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2014, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Next time you have her stripped down, can you take some pictures of how it looks? I really like ABS, but I would not like paying to get it fixed should mine die.
That would be great
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Will do on the pics. I first re-plumbed using the metal brake lines, but after I saw how good the brakes worked, I removed them and went straight SS lines from each MC to the calipers. Got a custom set made by Speigler so it all matches up great. I love ABS too, but not the cost for this repair. Bleeding is so easy now too!

Sammy
post #14 of 17 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 10:11 am

Hi All, have read many threads on this subject. My 2003 LT . ABS failed before Xmas, I took it apart and the system running the front brakes had brake fluid that was almost black and had no servo assistance. Having removed the ABS unit and all the associated brake hoses, I reverted to conventional brakes. The only problem I have is that the speedo and mileometer do not work, I have retained the ABS module , I have also swapped the front ABS sensor to the rear but with no success , would this be down to a failure of the ABS module?
post #15 of 17 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 1:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

In your case you need to remove the circuit card from your ABS unit and insulate it. Then plug it back in so the speedo and odometer will continue working. The rear ABS sensor feeds the speedo and odometer signals to the ABS unit before sending them to the dash.

You will have the flashing warning lights but you can cut the brown/yellow wire on pin 10 and the brown/red on pin 9 to eliminate those warnings.
Frenchy likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 17 Old Apr 10th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
In your case you need to remove the circuit card from your ABS unit and insulate it. Then plug it back in so the speedo and odometer will continue working. The rear ABS sensor feeds the speedo and odometer signals to the ABS unit before sending them to the dash.

You will have the flashing warning lights but you can cut the brown/yellow wire on pin 10 and the brown/red on pin 9 to eliminate those warnings.
Great info.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #17 of 17 Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Good to know Just in case. I really love the ABS. Saved me and a golden retriever who ran out in front of me on a 2 lane one dark night. Couldn't believe how smooth and controlled of a stop it was. But if it goes, not worth $2,200 to fix on a bike that's worth 6K..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in