SHEEPSKIN COVERED GEL PAD PLUS+ ORTHO - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cbpip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

SHEEPSKIN COVERED GEL PAD PLUS+ ORTHO

Needed something a little cheaper than a Russell, so have ordered two sheepskin covered gel pads couched between two pieces of memory foam on the upper and lower. Anyone enjoying these type of seat pads? www.amspecialtiesusa.com is the site. The missus is starting to dislike the bumps and bruises of the K1200 suspension!

2015 Vulcan Classic 900 - newest bike in garage
2001 BMW K1200 LTC - current
2007 Suzuki VStrom 1000 (sold)
1985 Kawasaki KZ440 (R.I.P.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Re: SHEEPSKIN COVERED GEL PAD PLUS+ ORTHO

Tried gel pad, didn't care for it too much.
Bought an Air Hawk seat pad that works much better.
Tricky_dickey likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #3 of 20 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Have a pair. I don't use mine and the wife loves hers.

post #4 of 20 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 9:51 pm

That's going to make the bike at least 1 inch taller and that height might not be good for your inseam. The newer LT's are a little higher than the older ones. I have both. But if you haven't done it - You can totally remove the seat bar assembly that normally would adjust the seat into the high or low position. That will bring the seat about 1/2 inch or more lower to make up for some of the added height of the foam, etc.

The seat will move side to side just a bit if you move it while you are standing by the bike, but when I'm on the seat I have yet to notice any movement.

I don't have the gel pad or memory foam, but I do use an Alaska Leather Sheepskin on the seat. Started using it during the three Iron Butt rides I've done, but I guess I really got used to it as it stays on the bike now.

Makes for lots more comfortable rides. That and a pair of the riding underwear from Underarmour make for a sweet ride.
Here --> http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1236238-007

Good luck in your seat work.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 Old Mar 9th, 2014, 10:13 am

I paid some company $250 to add some gel to my crappy stock seat. Now I have a crappy seat with some gel in it..............wish I had that $ back........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 20 Old Mar 9th, 2014, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Nice... Thanks for the advice guys. I'm 6-04 with the old combat boots on so I won't mind the height increase. Anything I can so to encourage the wife to ride more - I'm investing in! Gotta start saving for that luggage rack now ...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #7 of 20 Old Mar 9th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Take a look at Pro Pad. My wife loves hers. We had an issue with it and they bent over backwards to take care of it. They offered upgrades and free shipping. My wife didn't want an upgrade, she loves it that much.
post #8 of 20 Old Mar 10th, 2014, 6:46 am

I've never used the gel pads, but have an Air Hawk that rarely leaves the bike. I do have the beads and a sheepskin that I alternate from time to time for variety, but seem to use the Air Hawk most of the time.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 20 Old Mar 12th, 2014, 6:58 pm

I tried both gel pad with sheep skin on it and Airhawk with sheep skin on it. I like Air Hawk much better. Only issue with the Airhawk is that it develops leak over time. Then You need to fix it as if it was a bicycle tire

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #10 of 20 Old Mar 12th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas View Post
I tried both gel pad with sheep skin on it and Airhawk with sheep skin on it. I like Air Hawk much better. Only issue with the Airhawk is that it develops leak over time. Then You need to fix it as if it was a bicycle tire
I've had the Air Hawk 2 for quite a few years and no leaks. I don't put a sheep skin on top of it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2014, 7:12 pm

AirHawk vs. AirHawk 2: What’s the difference?

by Ryan Wright

This is the number one question I get asked by bikers who are interested in purchasing an AirHawk Cushion. That is why I am going to outline the biggest differences based on my own experience and the experience of many of my customers.

If you put an AirHawk and an AirHawk 2 side by side the first thing you will notice is an obvious distinction in material. The original AirHawk is made from a synthetic rubber material, Neoprene. It is a durable material that can be “patched” if punctured.

The ROHO Group, the US based manufacturer of AirHawk cushions, is well known for their medical cushions used by patients that have or are at risk for pressure sores. Their neoprene air cushions are the best product on the market for relieving pressure and preventing pressure sores. ROHO took this same medical technology and applied it to the design of the AirHawk cushion. The AirHawk 2 is made from polyurethane, a less durable material then neoprene. The difference in price from the AirHawk to the AirHawk 2 is due to the material costs. Neoprene is more expensive material then polyurethane.

The AirHawk 2’s polyurethane material is not as easily repairable if punctured and also does not offer the support and comfort for riders who consistently go on longer distances on their bikes.

With this said, the feedback is that both styles of AirHawks increase comfort and provide a more enjoyable ride.

Both the AirHawk and AirHawk 2 come with a 60-day guarantee. Because polyurethane is a less durable material then neoprene, the AirHawk 2 has a 1 year warranty vs. a 2 year warranty on the original AirHawk.

The bottom line is that both the AirHawk and the AirHawk 2 use air cell technology that is far superior to gel, foam, or synthetic sheepskin. You can’t go wrong with either. If you are a stickler for quality and tend to go on longer rides, I recommend the original AirHawk. If you just want some added comfort and only go on occasional longer rides, the AirHawk 2 is a great bargain.

Airhawk
Airhawk 2
60 Day Guarantee 60 Day Guarantee
2 Year Warranty 1 Year Warranty
Neoprene Polyurethane

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #12 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Well... The AMS "Ortho" pad arrived for driver and "jumbo "pad for passenger seat. First reactions are just commuting to from work. Definitely took the edge off the teeth jarring bumps but I had an odd hip cramp midway home from the new seated position. Hopefully that was just coincidental. I was hoping for that sensation I had when I owned my last leather Russell on a Vstrom dual sport. Right... That was like riding on a cloud! (R.I.P. Vstrom 1000... Small tear rolling down face). With lower expectations - sure it will help. Now the missus will need to choose between butt warmer or padded seat. A dilemma for sure!

post #13 of 20 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 12:35 am

Garage

I too have the Air Hawk II
I works well. When I first got it I would experiment with it on my leather computer chair. Fill . . . . let out until I was comfy. The first few rides after that felt perfect. Then on my BRP camp trip 2 seasons ago I took it off to protect from frost and could not seem to get the right fill back. It is comfortable at times and then again not. So I am trying the same routine again leading up to riding 101
ride safe
post #14 of 20 Old Mar 29th, 2014, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Pads work great! Was in saddle 3+ hours one day and 3+ hours 3 days later. outside of stopping a few times as usual (not because I had to) it was super comfy... So.... Big thumbs up for ams pads!

post #15 of 20 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 3:36 pm

Scan the Dr OZ web site for a pad designed to reduce or eliminate Monkey-But, seems it has a hollowed out portion down the middle from front to back?

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 20 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 10:11 am

I've had my LT five & a half years now. When I bought it, it had a Corbin seat & backrest on it. I also got the stock seat. I've switched back and forth a few times only to reside with the Corbin due to the back rest. This winter I got a pair of the long LDcomfort shorts for my birthday. Wow! I haven't all day ridden yet due to the crappy weather here, but I have taken a few four hour rides with amazing results. Usually after a couple of hours I start thinking about getting off and walking around a few minutes, but not now. I don't get monkey butt at all now. If I remember correctly these were about $69. I plan on buying the regular ones for summer. YMMV

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #17 of 20 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 10:20 am

I have ridden both bicycles and motorcycles with gel pads and I just can't get used to feeling like I crapped my pants!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
post #18 of 20 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 10:42 am

I thought about going this way as well, but luckily for me a used Corbin with a backrest came up for sale in the Classifieds. Took a chance, because if it doesn't work out you can always resell it again for around the same price, frame of mind. Installed it last week and finally got to go for a 200 mile drive yesterday. I'll I can say is "wow" my seat problems have gone from bad to not even thinking about it anymore. I can't believe the difference the corbin has made. There's a couple for sale now on ebay for a reasonable price. So if your willing to give it a go, just upgrade the seat. It really is the best $150 I've spend on the bike.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

post #19 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2014, 8:08 pm

I got an AirHawk2 for a 500+ mile ride last fall and while it's much better than the stock seat, I still had to stop every couple hours. I can't quite figure out the optimal amount of air to have in it.
post #20 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2014, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Oh... What I'd give for a Russell!! Of course... without the 1,000 price tag! Until then - whatever works gents!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in